HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Pochi, I agree with you that Mao's team need to make some changes for the seasons to come. If you read my previous PM, I've already listed my opinions. But I seriously think she should ditch the Weider team. They were supposed to build her strength but they've totally failed in that respect. IMO. It is very clear to me Mao was much stronger and looked healthier when she was with Arutunian. She wasn't with them then. I'm not sure what off-ice training she had then but it worked very well for her. She was faster, had better ice coverage, and her jumps were big. However, these aspects of Mao's skating have gradually declined since she joined this team. Of course, another issue is the 3A itself and as much as I love Mao, I feel her stubborness is getting the best of her. Mao's strong will is truly admirable but her 3A mindset is potentially dangerous. And I fear Sato is not strong enough to hold her back from doing more than she should as seen in this competition. Mao needs to realize that the 3A is not the most important thing to her skating and see beyond that one jump. She needs to realize that a competitive performance without a 3A can be equally wonderful. What I fear most is that the combination of Mao's stubborness over the 3A and the ill advise of losing weight to maintain that jump will eventually lead to a vicious cycle and a potential tragic end to her career. Crying or Very sad

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Btw aoi, it seems Lu Chen wrote in her blog about ladies' SP in anger that the judges were only giving high scores for Yuna's reputation! So happy she has joined the list of former champions being pissed off by the judges! It's becoming so obvious what the judges are doing these days, I think most ex-skaters feel the same even if they don't say it out loud. Rolling Eyes

I have so much respect for Lu Chen. She also commented about Yuna's extremely high scores at the Olympics and she was one of the few commentators who showed appreciation for Mao's style of skating. She was a beautiful skater yet a very underrated one during her career, so I feel she can empathize with skaters who suffer from reputation scoring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
apple4me

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 5:37 pm

I want Mao to work with Lu Chen. I really want Mao to skate to butterfly lovers. It will be a master piece if she does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 5:43 pm

Regarding Mao's weight loss and Weider team, I'd like to give my two cents.

According to various information I gathered here and from other media reports:
* After the earthquake and tsunami, Mao wasn't sure if it is right thing to do to go to worlds while people are suffering from the tragedy in her own country.

* But, she has to go because her federation sends her. If so, I suppose she thought she MUST win. Then, she became too strict about herself. Also, she might have lost appetite after watching footages of devastation.

* I suppose her weight control was fine before she had stomach ache and she took two days off, because it's reported she did run-through everyday for both programs. (or 6 days a week?) If she was having weight problems back then, Sato sensei would have noticed.

* I suppose Mao lost weight dramatically when she had stomach ache. I assume it may be diarrhea. It's easy for normal people to lose weight of 1 or 2 kg when they have diarrhea.

* I assume Mao is muscular in her body core and heavier than other skinny looking ordinal girls. Because she's muscular which improves your metabolism, it's possible to lose as much as 5kg within a short time (but I don't think she lost 5kg only two days). 5kg loss is way too much for ordinal people though.

I'm with Okami about her weight loss. It may be that I want to believe this is a short-term problem though...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Here is the Ladies LP on CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Olympic_Sports/Full_Shows/1661625949/ID=1903976082

PJ Kwong was generally very nice.

You can actually hear a lot of what Mao and the Satos talk about in the Kiss and Cry area- I'm not sure if anyone else can see the video, but if you can, could you provide a translation? That would be much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 pm

About Weider team

* I think Mao started to have jump struggles after she started to work with Makino-san. According to a TV program which covered Makino-san, he was also serving as a jump coach. He said he watches Mao's jumps on the rink side and reviews videotapes and gives her advice. I think he is the one who advised Mao to jump high and rotate fast, rather than increasing ice coverage.

* Mao started to loose 3As before 2009-2010 season begun and she almost completely lost it before Vancouver. Mr. Nagakubo couldn't resist and gave her advice a few times about entering speed and body twist. (Sorry, I don't have time right now. Let me share this episode which I got from her book later when I have time.) Mao also got advice from Mr. Makoto Okazaki and Ms. Yumi Kono for 3A. Then, she was able to regain it before the Olympics.

* I suppose because of this experience, Mao realized that basics was what she must learn.

* About Mr. Makino, it seems he is taking care of a singer and travelling around Japan to give lectures and lessons recently. I suppose he is an employee of Morinaga (company running Weider project), he may not be able to decide who he takes care of.

* Please note I don't blame Makino-san alone for messing up Mao's jumps. Mao is also responsible for making this choice and also other people in her team too.

* Weider trainers are professionals so I believe and do hope they do nothing wrong to athletes.

There are multiple factors when things go wrong. I don't think it's appropriate to blame Weider at this stage where we do not have enough information. Mao may give an interview when she came back to Japan. It's better wait for some more information rather than speculating based on a few words quotes in news articles.

Lastly, I'm optimistic and very much worried at the same time. I may be trying to be optimistic to expel concern. I just don't want to think bad way. It breaks my heart. Bright hope is that Mao has Nobuo sensei and Kumiko sensei. Kumiko sensei was so sweet when she saw Mao's disappointed face in K&C after FP score was shown. She said you did your best to her putting her hand on Mao's shoulder. When Mao nodded, she said once again yes you did. When I think that Mao is with them, it just relieves my concern.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Actually, it's not uncommon for skaters to lost weight before they compete, because it's easier to jump, and then gain it back after the competition. I remember reading an article about Michael Weiss where he said his non-competition body weight was 165 pounds, and his competition body weight was 145 pounds. That is a 20 pound difference! Obviously, with Mao being so small to start with her weight cannot fluctuate this much, but this weight loss was by no means on purpose, according to the articles I have read.

chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 7:08 pm

sapphiresky wrote:
Here is the Ladies LP on CBC:
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Olympic_Sports/Full_Shows/1661625949/ID=1903976082

PJ Kwong was generally very nice.

You can actually hear a lot of what Mao and the Satos talk about in the Kiss and Cry area- I'm not sure if anyone else can see the video, but if you can, could you provide a translation? That would be much appreciated!

And yet another commentator who said Mao's 3A "might" be a little UR... no mention of a possible DG and not a word about the 3T being short, just two-footed. Though even if those jumps had been called UR instead of downgraded, she would have only gained like, 5 points more and there would be no change in the standings, I'm sure those two << on the protocols were difficult to swallow for Mao, on top of everything else.

I loved how PJ said her FS should score very high in PCS (although it didn't happen). Makes me feel justified in my anger lol lol!

ETA: The jinxing powers of PJ Kwong are still very much alive!! Didn't she predict Mao for WC? hehe Too sweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tilitom
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 7:22 pm

thanks everyone for the updates...does anyone have a GS account? it might be a good idea to keep the Mao thread in there updated too. Not all mao fans visit our forum and we all know what it feels like when the season is over and the situation is like this. if any of you has a GS account please do post it there too. cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
babayaga
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 7:31 pm

tilitom wrote:
thanks everyone for the updates...does anyone have a GS account? it might be a good idea to keep the Mao thread in there updated too. Not all mao fans visit our forum and we all know what it feels like when the season is over and the situation is like this. if any of you has a GS account please do post it there too. cat

I've been doing that for some time but it felt lonely Smile The more people join the better!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cloviece
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 9:03 pm

All of this talk about Mao's weight is honestly starting to worry me.

2-3 kilos maybe, but 4-5? That's really drastic. I'm a slim person myself, and a good 12-13 cm taller than Mao. And if I lost 4-5 kg in a month or so I'd probably be very sick, not to mention people around me would be very concerned. I'm already trying to recover the 3 kilos over since last month due to stomach issues. And while I'm active, I'm not an athlete and I'm not undergoing as nearly as much stress as she is. Seriously, Mao, is only 163-4 cm tall and 47-50 kilos to begin with and training 4-5 hours a day. She could seriously injure herself dropping that much weight.

Now I don't want to blame Weider entirely (as I honestly think Makino and the rest of the staff were good in the past; that and Mao has been under stress lately), but Mao has been looking very, very slight. And it's been for a while now. It was very apparent during the Olympics and it didn't get better until off season where she looked happy and radiant. Currently, she looks even smaller than the Olympics. Bring back 2007-2008 Mao.

I also recall reading about her decreasing her body fat to a mere 7%, but honestly even female gymnasts average 10-13% during competition (any less is possible but it's also for a very short time). However, I don't see much muscle in her legs-- if you are already small and decreasing body fat while also losing weight (in other words you should be eating at a surplus not a deficit while trying to increase muscle mass and lose body fat), that's an method for disaster. Muscle atrophy is very common in athletes (long distance runners anyone?), especially if they are prone to over-training or improper/lacking diet.

I mean, look at Miki. She's yes, a power jumper in terms of build (strong, powerful legs) and she lost a noticeable amount of weight during the 2009-2010 season which only helped to improve her jumps. Even Yuna who is similar in height and is also very slim by no means looks frail. According to her profile, she's apparently 47 kg?! But she looks quite a bit heavier than Mao, not to mention she looks much healthier. Their builds may be a bit different (Yuna has extremely long, gangly limbs and more of square shaped figure, whereas Mao has broader shoulders, long legs and a narrow waist), but seeing them train side by side at Worlds really kind of shocked me.

I'm sure most don't tend to think too much about this subject, as I sure didn't until the Olympics when Mao stuck out like a sore thumb. I remember someone saying that they didn't know how Mao had the power to jump or spin for that matter with her toothpick legs. Seriously someone isn't doing their job. And who knows? Mao could be injured but like many have said, she's never one to talk about it to the media. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
apple4me

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I used to be a long distance runner. I used to have more healthier and sturdy than right now. I have lost 5-9 lbs since I remove my wisdom teeth. Losing those weight really affect my ability to run long distance and it really decrease my muscle weight. For the look at Mao she really need to gain those weight back. Who ever tell her to loose weight in order to success those jumps are insane. Although, I'm not a professional doctor or nutritionist but as a nursing student Mao really need to gain those weight back. She is way too thin. Comparing to Miki and Yuna whom look healthier and stronger ( term of fitness and have more muscle mass). I bet one of those trainer would think oh she has a pretty high BMI maybe she need to lose those weight. That is so wrong because muscle weight more than adipose tissue (fat). Plus, with that amount small amount of body fat will decrease her chance of getting pregnant. In addition, if she has heart attack in the future her body will not able to handle it, which it is more serious issue than normal people having heart attack. She really need to gain those weight back to improve her health. If she keep losing weight she will get athletic eating disorder who will minimum her metabolism and her ability to skate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cloviece
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 9:55 pm

^Exactly. Being at a very low weight affects your immune and nervous system. Think about when you get sick and if you drop just say, a mere 2-3 lbs. Do you feel like doing much? Are you going to have much energy? Probably not. Point it, if it weight is not lost slowly and carefully (i.e. not when you are depressed and have a lack of appetite or sick or whatever), it can be serious. Especially if you are undergoing some strenuous training and are someone like Mao who is at such a low weight anyway-- she has no fat to lose!

Just look at Mao during say, the 2008 NHK cup compared to, I don't know her 2009 Japan Open EX. There is already a substantial difference there. And then there's 2011 Worlds. How can you have a set of trainers who clearly see you every single day and notice a 9-11 lb difference yet just...overlook it? I just don't get it. Looking at one of the post-Worlds clip when she's hugging Coach Machiko Yamada after the competition, you can clearly see the outline of her spine as well as her shoulder blades. Now, I can see my shoulder blades in the back but they not nearly that sharp and nor do I ever really want to see my spine, especially if I'm not used to seeing it normally. And normally, I don't ever recall seeing Mao's spine. It scares me just thinking about it.

Point is, no matter how stressed Mao is it is the responsibility of her trainers to help her and make sure she is getting enough rest, not too much exercise, and eating enough. What's the point in having them then (and paying them money for that matter)? This not only concerns her career, it concerns her health. Not just jumping the 3A, but jumping, spins, footwork-- skating period is dangerous. Sure, she may not be a speed skater like JR Celski, but accidents like that can seriously injure and potentially be fatal. Just skating around on that cold ice rink is enough (wonder if she was freezing during her programs to be honest).

And I'm sure the rest of the Japanese team were also stressed out and may have also been in a similar state as Mao. However, it seems their trainers were taking good care of them so they wouldn't fall ill, lose to much weight or be prone to injury. Miki is at one of the best seasons of her career, and even though she trains in Russia, she was in great shape.

And then of course there's Yuna who has been gone for a year, and while she didn't skate her best, she was still in good form physically (although apparently she's now injured or something...?). One thing I must say about Yuna is that her team has always made sure she is in good competing form. Her health always comes first, as it should be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 10:15 pm

maofan93 wrote:
Actually, it's not uncommon for skaters to lost weight before they compete, because it's easier to jump, and then gain it back after the competition. I remember reading an article about Michael Weiss where he said his non-competition body weight was 165 pounds, and his competition body weight was 145 pounds. That is a 20 pound difference! Obviously, with Mao being so small to start with her weight cannot fluctuate this much, but this weight loss was by no means on purpose, according to the articles I have read.

I have also heard of this. The thing is, losing that much weight in such a short period of time and continuously doing so in a cycle is not healthy.

Overall, I've come to the realization that way too many skaters don't have the healthiest eating patterns, period. Jenny Kirk's article on eating disorders in figure skating really worried me. She spoke of her problems with bulimia and a dear friend on his obsession with jotting down everything he'd eaten during the day (ridiculously unhealthy portions); she also spoke of instances where she'd found skaters purging in bathrooms just before exhibitions. I said in an earlier post that I had an eye opening conversation with someone who had a friend who was struggling with an eating disorder of his own right now. According to with what she had to tell me, it is becoming a significant problem in figure skating and that said problem is a very well kept secret (similarly with what Jenny was emphasizing in her article).

I also don't believe Mao has developed one, but in a sport like figure skating where weight is so crucial for the timing of your jumps, I have a feeling that it's scarily easy to develop one if you don't have the right people guiding you. It's something that has really been bothering me for a while; ever since I read Jenny's article and had that long talk with said person I mentioned, and it's only been intensified with what I'm not 100% sure if going on with Mao right now. I just hope that Mr. and Mrs. Sato are aware that there is a problem and address it as soon as possible. It's obvious from Mr. Sato's comments that he's not happy with Mao's recent weight loss, so I'm sure this problem will not go unaddressed. Yep, Sadly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 10:25 pm

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2011/05/02/kiji/K20110502000740130.html

Mao says "I will relearn the basics of skating and jumps and review training (plans?). I will make a fresh start for building a solid foundation."

Sato sensei is planning to teach triple combination(s). Mao says "I want to do anything I think possible."

Mao is planning to take a good rest saying "I know it's better for me to take a break. I want to keep skating out of my mind for a while."

Mao, Mai and Kanako are planning to go somewhere together during off season break.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/110502/spm1105020505003-n1.htm

Mao says "I feel the season is over, but I strongly feel I'm frustrated. I want to think about off season from now on." She also says, "I want to veg out at home. I want to clean up my room too."

http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2011/05/02/0004022292.shtml

Mao says, "I'm not consistent, especially with 3A." "This was the first season I trained under (Sato) Sensei. He sometimes says "it's good". So I want to increase the number of times he says so."

Regarding Mao's weight issue, I didn't mean that she or her team reduced 5kg on purpose in my previous post.

What I wanted to say is that she was planning to reduce some weight as usual before competition, but she started to do it too soon this time (according to some news articles). Coincidentally, she had stomach ache, which I suppose disturbed her weight reduction plan and she ended up loosing 5kg within such a short period of time which she and her team never intended.

Well, explaining in English is not easy for me. (It's a good practice for me though). If you find anything confusing or misleading in my English, please don't hesitate to point out. I will rewrite and try to make it as clear as possible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
periperi
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 10:47 pm

linglang wrote:

Mao says "I will relearn the basics of skating and jumps and review training (plans?). I will make a fresh start for building a solid foundation."

Sato sensei is planning to teach triple combination(s). Mao says "I want to do anything I think possible."

Mao is planning to take a good rest saying "I know it's better for me to take a break. I want to keep skating out of my mind for a while."

Mao, Mai and Kanako are planning to go somewhere together during off season break.

Mao says "I feel the season is over, but I strongly feel I'm frustrated. I want to think about off season from now on." She also says, "I want to veg out at home. I want to clean up my room too."

Mao says, "I'm not consistent, especially with 3A." "This was the first season I trained under (Sato) Sensei. He sometimes says "it's good". So I want to increase the number of times he says so."

Regarding Mao's weight issue, I didn't mean that she or her team reduced 5kg on purpose in my previous post.

What I wanted to say is that she was planning to reduce some weight as usual before competition, but she started to do it too soon this time (according to some news articles). Coincidentally, she had stomach ache, which I suppose disturbed her weight reduction plan and she ended up loosing 5kg within such a short period of time which she and her team never intended.

Well, explaining in English is not easy for me. (It's a good practice for me though). If you find anything confusing or misleading in my English, please don't hesitate to point out. I will rewrite and try to make it as clear as possible. Very Happy

- I really like this quote. For the sake of Mao's improvement, continuing to work on the fundamentals is the best thing she could do. They're, like, the fundamentals. Frankly, I think the basics of figure skating have become quite forgotten with the way coaches teach their students, and that's why I respect Mr. Sato so much. I remember reading a quote in FSU where he states that maybe his way of teaching is "old-fashioned". I think his way is the right way. How can you expect to jump or simply skate around the ice with ease when you haven't mastered the basics? Raw talent alone can only take you so far. I felt that a lot of Mao's feathery, lightness on the ice started to disappear once her basic skating skills began to suffer after her growth spurt. Ever since she went to Mr. Sato, Mao has really begun achieving that old speed and lightness she used to have.

- Great idea, Mao. Take the rest you truly need and deserve, gain some weight, and have fun. Thumbs up!

As for Mao's weight issue, I've heard an alternative. Another rumor (I haven't had it confirmed) is that Mr. Sato saw that Mao needed a one-week break because she was distracted from dwelling on the disaster that hit her home country. The story is that when Mao tried to get back into shape, she overdid it, and was unable to get back to an ideal form before Worlds.

I just don't know what's going on or what to think. It's admirable but also frustrating when Mao isn't forthcoming with what is going on with her well being. I just want her to rest, and I can only hope that we see a much healthier Mao next season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Poor Mao she needs to rest
Im really worried Sad I love Mao soooooo much I hate it to see her in problems, but I hope she doesn't develop an eating disorder, because it really would brake my heart Worship
Please mao take a good rest Daisies for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 11:10 pm

periperi wrote:
As for Mao's weight issue, I've heard an alternative. Another rumor (I haven't had it confirmed) is that Mr. Sato saw that Mao needed a one-week break because she was distracted from dwelling on the disaster that hit her home country. The story is that when Mao tried to get back into shape, she overdid it, and was unable to get back to an ideal form before Worlds.

I just don't know what's going on or what to think. It's admirable but also frustrating when Mao isn't forthcoming with what is going on with her well being. I just want her to rest, and I can only hope that we see a much healthier Mao next season.

Thanks for the info. And, I feel the say way. I think Mao is very cautious about the media because they create hype for their own profit. No

This is the eel restaurant where Mao visits regularly.
At the end of the video, Mai says she saw the best smile of Mao for the day (when Mao had a bite). Too sweet!
I really miss her adorable smile. I hope she will have a good rest and good vacation and get back her health soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkn44rjcKSU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 11:11 pm

linglang wrote:

Thanks a lot linglang. After reading this, I'm sure that Mao has not developed an eating disorder (actually, I was pretty sure before). She knows what she needs to do to move on. I think the rescheduled World's affected her in terms of timing to get herself to a competitive state. Mr. Sato has said himself that he wasn't sure how to handle this, so this is a good learning lesson for Mao.

It seems that Mao has been exhausted by this season, and is glad to take a break! I laughed when she said "I want to clean my room" lol! My mom would be so proud of me if I said that haha.

I'm glad she wants to keep working on her basics and 3-3. Another challenge is on the way for Mao, and I'm happy that I will be a part of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
apple4me

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Yay, Mao, Mai and Kanako is taking a break. I wish they would add Miki and Taka chan. Lolx. I really want Mao to date someone. If she date Taka chan will be nice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KariDebate
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Sun May 01, 2011 11:32 pm

so happy she is taking a break and with kanako too........as hard as this season was for mao, i think she will be happy she made the changes she did in the long run......cant wait until next season

Cloviece
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Mon May 02, 2011 12:29 am

LOL. Mao wanting to clean her room. If only every child thought like Mao. Haha.

I'm glad she's taking a break, but it may be beneficial for her to take an even longer break than simply off-season. Plus, there's bound to be some ice shows and variety appearances as there are every year (hopefully, she'll have less than last year).

I've never suspected Mao had an eating disorder, but I still say some of the responsibility for her weight loss is on Weider. If she overdoes it, it's still up to them to put her back on track. Unless it was a week within Worlds or something, but as I've thought before she's been looking very waif-like ever since '09 Japanese Nationals. So I really don't know why Mao and her team were even contemplating cutting down even more from 4CC in the first place.

Anyway, I hope to see her take a vacation overseas since summer is coming up. Like Guam or Bali or something. And of course with Mai (haven't seen her in a while).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Mon May 02, 2011 4:07 am

Ohhh how could I miss Mao and others? I should have come earlier to the Gala!!!Grrr....
I hope Mao will come to COR or TEB this year and I can come to see her live. Love She's soo awesome live, even when she's not in her best shape)))
Btw Mao's sp costume was much better live then in pictures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Mon May 02, 2011 6:34 am

Thanks Linglang for the translations. I'm glad to hear Mao is taking a well-deserved break. flower And like some other posters here, I agree that perhaps she needs a even longer break to reboot her mind and get back in shape. Perhaps she can skip the GP next year? I feel Mao has been overdoing herself for the last few years. She should take it easy from now on and not be so 'stoic" as she mentioned in another article.
Mao is not the type to disclose to the media about her difficulties but sometimes I wish she shed more light on her training for us. I think a lot of us here are really worried because we have so little information on her actual training and fitness routine. Mao is a true optimist and sometimes she paints a too cheerful picture of her training to the public. From reading the pre-Worlds article, I got the impression that Mao's training was going very well and she was becoming stronger. Therefore, I was so surprised to hear Sato's comments about Mao's condition at Worlds. I am aware that is not fair to totally blame one party but the Weider should be accounted for some of the blame since they are the ones who are directly responsible for Mao's off-ice training regime. And there just something eery and scary about their whole "peaking" strategy. Crying or Very sad From personal experience, I know that sometimes the advice that professionals or so called 'experts' give their clients are just plain wrong. Since Sato seems quite concerned about Mao's condition this time, I hope he can now oversee all aspects of her training so something like this will never happen again.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ClairDeMao

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Mon May 02, 2011 6:59 am

So I finally watched Mao’s LP with Swedish commentary…this is what they said:

3A in LP looked much better than in the SP

Not the same power and flow she usually has, but still a beautiful skater and a difficult program

Nice 3 lutz

Nice biellman position in the spin

Difficult to hold spiral position with that little speed at the end of the program

Lotta never seems to questions the judges or the technical specialists. She’s supposed the be the “expert”, so it would look bad if she didn’t agree with the judges I guess… Roger is just some fat bloke who comments all sorts of sports. I don’t think he has any idea what it’s like to be a figure skater. For example he found it strange that a girl who can land a 3a only did a 1 sal.
Lotta also said that Mao seemed to have lost her jumping technique a little bit. They didn’t mention anything about Mao reworking her jumps. I think there’s a big difference in her 3f entry(much better now) but of course they didn’t notice…

Anyway glad that Mao is taking a break, she’s young, she should be enjoying life. Sometimes I wish that she would ditch the 3A, it seems to be causing her so much trouble mentally and physically, but at the same time the 3A is one of the things that make Mao so special!

BTW

Russian Ice dancers Zhiganshina / Gazsi skated to Liebestraum this season as well, and so did Pang/Tong. Would’ve been cool if someone amongst the men also had used Liebestraum this season…
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 am

I also think Mao should take a break, may be skate an only one GP event. She was so weak, and lost even in warm-up. My only hope was that Mao won't faint. Sad
She is too tired of everything , let's give a girl a time to live normal! She deserved this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers   

Back to top Go down

World Championships 2011 - Reports, spoilers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next