HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jtsmith1

PostSubject: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I remember that interview with Rachael at worlds. She talked like she didn't really think she should have come to worlds, and she didn't really feel well enough to be there, but she didn't think there was enough time to withdraw and send an alternate. This is understandable, and I think she really did think the only choice she really had was to tough it out, even if she didn't want to. I guess it was a bad call as far as her coach and other people on her team goes though. I'm sure she didn't come to this decision all on her own, and I don't think she should get all the blame.

Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:43 pm

Star85 wrote:
I remember that interview with Rachael at worlds. She talked like she didn't really think she should have come to worlds, and she didn't really feel well enough to be there, but she didn't think there was enough time to withdraw and send an alternate. This is understandable, and I think she really did think the only choice she really had was to tough it out, even if she didn't want to. I guess it was a bad call as far as her coach and other people on her team goes though. I'm sure she didn't come to this decision all on her own, and I don't think she should get all the blame.

This is the problem. They assumed there wouldn't be time, but it's not up to them to decide it. They should've communicated the US Fed and checked the possibilities.

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:19 pm

alyssa wrote:
Star85 wrote:

This is the problem. They assumed there wouldn't be time, but it's not up to them to decide it. They should've communicated the US Fed and checked the possibilities.

Yeah, like I said, bad call.

Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:51 am

Wow. I honestly didn't think USFSA were going to do anything even with all the uproar from the GS forum and the Philip Hersh article. Shocked I guess it was Frank Carroll's comments that opted them to take some sort of action.

It seems a bit harsh, but I'm sure Rachael won't be the only one punished, and TomZ has received his lion's share of criticism as well. It really would have been smarter of her not to have opened her mouth imo. I feel bad that she's received all this backlash.

I hope that at least this will get the USFSA to take charge of their skaters more. I don't want them to turn into some overly controlling federation, but I always get the feeling that the USFSA has little idea with what goes on with their skaters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:19 pm

periperi wrote:
Wow. I honestly didn't think USFSA were going to do anything even with all the uproar from the GS forum and the Philip Hersh article. Shocked I guess it was Frank Carroll's comments that opted them to take some sort of action.

It seems a bit harsh, but I'm sure Rachael won't be the only one punished, and TomZ has received his lion's share of criticism as well. It really would have been smarter of her not to have opened her mouth imo. I feel bad that she's received all this backlash.

I hope that at least this will get the USFSA to take charge of their skaters more. I don't want them to turn into some overly controlling federation, but I always get the feeling that the USFSA has little idea with what goes on with their skaters.

It sounds like they're actually not being too harsh on her. They said this will not effect her eligibility. If they aren't taking away her right to compete, or anything else, I guess this is just a warning or something. She hasn't even said whether she will even compete or not next season anyway. I wonder if she is...

Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:41 am

Star85 wrote:
periperi wrote:

It sounds like they're actually not being too harsh on her. They said this will not effect her eligibility. If they aren't taking away her right to compete, or anything else, I guess this is just a warning or something. She hasn't even said whether she will even compete or not next season anyway. I wonder if she is...

You're right. It could've been worse.

I don't think she's retiring. From what I heard of the NBC coverage for Nationals, Rachael has been seeking tips from Debi Thomas on how to handle school and skating at the same time (Debi was a pre-med student). Then again, that was before she injured herself and had such a poor showing at worlds. I'm sure Rachael was really hoping to get those three spots back, and with the U.S. ladies still down to two spots, she faces a smaller target if AgnesZ and ChristinaG keep it up and Mirai gets it together. This might discourage her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ElleluvsL
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:52 pm

periperi wrote:
I'm sure Rachael was really hoping to get those three spots back, and with the U.S. ladies still down to two spots, she faces a smaller target if AgnesZ and ChristinaG keep it up and Mirai gets it together. This might discourage her.

ITA, I think that the U.S. pool of skaters is becoming too crowded for Rachael to stand out anymore. I think that Vancouver was probably her high point. It's all downhill from here, I hate to say it like that, but well Neutral

and unlike Alissa and Mirai, who have their artistry to fall back on when their technical skills are off, Rachael without her famed 'consistency' doesn't really provide much to "ooh" or "ah" over. Her layback this season was probably one of the worst IMO.

In spite of what I've said so far, I wouldn't be too surprised if she does somehow manage to shock next season and have a good showing in order to prove anybody wrong.

BTW, Frank and Mirai are both so competitive with the things that they say out loud, it kinda makes me laugh sometimes Laughing
They sort of just blurt out what others only think (such as Mirai "blowing the other american girls out of the water" at 4cc, XD).

“I have never seen such a hard worker as Mao. She is a role model for me, and she inspires everyone." -Takahiko Kozuka
Back to top Go down
View user profile
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:21 am

ElleluvsL wrote:

BTW, Frank and Mirai are both so competitive with the things that they say out loud, it kinda makes me laugh sometimes Laughing
They sort of just blurt out what others only think (such as Mirai "blowing the other american girls out of the water" at 4cc, XD).

Caroll shouldn't have said it, but still I think he's right... If mirai has skated at worlds as she did it at 4CC, us team would surely have got 3 spots back. When she's at her best shape (and i believe she was) she's able to beat not-perfect programs of Carolina.

On the other hand... if Mao has skated her programs as she did at 4CC, she would have won the title, so maybe I shouldn't generalize it Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:22 pm

europeanfan wrote:
ElleluvsL wrote:

Caroll shouldn't have said it, but still I think he's right... If mirai has skated at worlds as she did it at 4CC, us team would surely have got 3 spots back. When she's at her best shape (and i believe she was) she's able to beat not-perfect programs of Carolina.

On the other hand... if Mao has skated her programs as she did at 4CC, she would have won the title, so maybe I shouldn't generalize it Wink

Yeah, Frank is definitely a little outspoken. lol.

I think he was right too, and if I were him, I'm sure I would be angry too. Mirai always does better at international competitions, and I'm pretty sure she would have done much better than Rachael did, and the US wouldn't have lost a spot.

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:09 pm

i don't mean to be rude and harsh, but here goes. i never have liked Rachael Flatt's skating. she is slow and laggy and doesn't hit the best positions. i feel as if she is the reason that the US hasn't been able to qualify more than 2 skaters for the past few years (because she always places the lowest to her other team mate). she does well in national competition but not so much in international, her team mates always seem to score higher. especially Mirai Nagasu who i DEFINITLEY thought should have gone to worlds over Flatt.
it was unfortunate that she got an injury but she should have thought less about herself in this matter and more for her team and US Figure skating because she cost them a potential 3rd spot, yet again. Panic!

Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:17 pm

midnightfrostifyx Don't worry, you didn't offend me. I was never a fan of her skating either. Wink

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:19 pm

ah, well good! it will be interesting to see what happens with her this season. that article said that this may jeopordize her from qualifying to the 2012 Worlds Laugh

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt    

Back to top Go down

U.S. Figure Skating reprimands, fines Rachael Flatt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1