HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:53 pm

if mao decides to continue after sochi, i'm all for her switching coaches...

but for now, if mao skates like she did in japan open, i'll take it. mistakes and all, i think that a relatively clean program is what she needs most. i can't wait until cup of china to see that short program!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:20 am

babayaga wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

OTOH, translating that video (which I didn't have to) made me very worried...even a bit frustrated. It was obvious that the staff of the show wanted Mao to mention how she's determined to win or at least medal in Sochi Olys, but it was clear that she was trying her best not to. And when she was asked what her dream was at that moment, she was only able to say to improve herself more and stuff (calm but not so excited about such things like she used to be), plus the only big smile came to her face when she said her 'future' dream (wondering if that's true) is to have a family of her own...which is of course I too would want for her in her life at some point, but the fact that she mentioned it recently shows how lonely she feels without her mother I think. I'm guessing again, but losing her mother that early made her think about life on the whole, and maybe winning gold in Olys isn't much of a priority to her anymore. That's the impression I got, sadly.

PochinkoPotanko, thank you so much for the translation. I have to say I really like her answers. I think that her mother's death put things into perspective for Mao, her system of values have changed. She now knows that there are things that are much more important than any medals, even an Olympic gold. So I am sure it is still her goal, but she is much more OK with any outcome than before. It seems that the tragedy made her grow up, she is wise now Smile I am glad I have read your translation, because now I myself will be much more relaxed about her performance at the Olympics. Knowing that she is OK with any result as long as she skates her best, I am OK too.
There is another thought I have which is a little sad - it is possible that getting the Olympic gold was her and her mother's joint dream, and it may be a little painful for her to think about it now. Sad

Thank you babayaga for your perspectives. You're right about taking Mao's words that way. I was feeling a bit low when I translated the interview, so that's what made me take things too negatively. Like you say, I too think now that her views on life as a person has grown after the tragedy, and I should be happy for her about it. Winning competitions isn't everthing, and although winning gold in Olys is a dream for most athletes, there are and should be things which are even more important to them as a human being than just that.

I've been hoping so much, maybe too much, for Mao to win Olys gold someday. At some point I feel I've gotten used to expecting too much from her, imagining Mao was feeling the same way towards herself willingly. It was never any national thing like it was for most Koreans towards Yuna, but in my case maybe it was worse...to me Mao having all her dreams come true, was a wish I had because I was never able to make any of my dreams come true. I was turning into somewhat a horrible stage-mother mentally, who wants their daughters to realize all the things they couldn't do themselves. I'm sure there are tons of fans like this, not just me...but I don't feel good about it. I have to grow up along with Mao to go on being her true fan.

swan, star85, your posts made me realize all this too. Thanks guys. I was always okay even when Mao couldn't win some competitions, cause I was sure she'll do better the next time. Even over the past seasons with the reforming stuff, I never lost faith that she's evolving. Guess I was just taking Sochi too much seriously. Mao will always be my dearest Mao whatever happens then. Love

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:14 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
babayaga wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

PochinkoPotanko, thank you so much for the translation. I have to say I really like her answers. I think that her mother's death put things into perspective for Mao, her system of values have changed. She now knows that there are things that are much more important than any medals, even an Olympic gold. So I am sure it is still her goal, but she is much more OK with any outcome than before. It seems that the tragedy made her grow up, she is wise now Smile I am glad I have read your translation, because now I myself will be much more relaxed about her performance at the Olympics. Knowing that she is OK with any result as long as she skates her best, I am OK too.
There is another thought I have which is a little sad - it is possible that getting the Olympic gold was her and her mother's joint dream, and it may be a little painful for her to think about it now. Sad

Thank you babayaga for your perspectives. You're right about taking Mao's words that way. I was feeling a bit low when I translated the interview, so that's what made me take things too negatively. Like you say, I too think now that her views on life as a person has grown after the tragedy, and I should be happy for her about it. Winning competitions isn't everthing, and although winning gold in Olys is a dream for most athletes, there are and should be things which are even more important to them as a human being than just that.

I've been hoping so much, maybe too much, for Mao to win Olys gold someday. At some point I feel I've gotten used to expecting too much from her, imagining Mao was feeling the same way towards herself willingly. It was never any national thing like it was for most Koreans towards Yuna, but in my case maybe it was worse...to me Mao having all her dreams come true, was a wish I had because I was never able to make any of my dreams come true. I was turning into somewhat a horrible stage-mother mentally, who wants their daughters to realize all the things they couldn't do themselves. I'm sure there are tons of fans like this, not just me...but I don't feel good about it. I have to grow up along with Mao to go on being her true fan.

swan, star85, your posts made me realize all this too. Thanks guys. I was always okay even when Mao couldn't win some competitions, cause I was sure she'll do better the next time. Even over the past seasons with the reforming stuff, I never lost faith that she's evolving. Guess I was just taking Sochi too much seriously. Mao will always be my dearest Mao whatever happens then. Love

I am guilty too of maybe expecting too much out of Mao, wanting her to win the olypics soooo badly, and feeling sure she must have even higher expectations for herself than I did for her. For a while, Mao was on top, and I think maybe us fans used to that. I for one have been in a bit of denial that she fell off of the top and is having to work her way back up. She has proven herself to me, and as far as I'm concerned, she is my champion. She is the best. However, she has to prove herself again to everyone else. When I see Mao place off the podium, I find myself thinking things like "This doesn't feel right. Mao was the best skater in the world, and now skaters who are not as good as her are beating her."

I know Mao has very high expectations for herself, and I can just imagine if we have had a hard time accepting the course her career has taken how hard it must be for her. I have come to point where I am not shocked when Mao doesn't win anymore, cause I know she has issues she is working out. I do have expectations that those issues will get fixed, and she will be back on top again. Maybe I should feel guilty for expecting so much out of Mao in the future, but I really don't, cause I know she's totally capable of it. You are right Pochinko, we do have to grow up along with Mao and be her true fans. No matter even if she comes in last, she will still be my favorite skater no matter what. Smile

Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:39 pm

idk if anyone posted this yet http://maimao-asada.com/mao/private/2012/09/27/454/ mao looks so cuute and happy Very Happy and her cake looks delicious cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:52 am

it's still really hard for me to accept that mao may never be the skater she used to be but then again i'm not the fan i used to be, either. i definitely grew alongside mao in her journey. i once was a blind fan but now i feel much more knowledgeable. but what am i saying, i sound like her journey is over and that she formally retired. Razz

recently i've been questioning mao's alliance with the satos and wondering if she's really going to get anywhere with them in the long run. i feel like they're not involved with anything she does except for trying to reform her jump technique which she still has a long way to go. i've got a question for all of you takahiko fans. do any of you think he's changed much as a skater with the satos? for me, after all these years, i feel like he hasn't. i feel like he skates to the same kind of programs as he did years ago. i don't see anything significantly different between now and say four years ago. after all these years, he even wears the same kind of costume (collar, buttons, slits in the back, long sleeves with cuffs) with the same kind of colors (red, white, blue, black for both the shirt and pants). i'm wondering why the satos didn't intervene or experiment. takahiko fans, please don't be mad because i don't mean to put him down and i think he has a lot of fabulous qualities in his skating (wonderful jumping technique and very exquisite carriage across the ice in which i would argue his carriage is even better than MOST of the ladies currently skating). i'm asking this because if the satos didn't do much with him to make a difference, how are am i supposed to believe that they can make a difference with mao? if any of you believe takahiko changed a lot in the past few years, please explain for me and maybe then i can believe in the satos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:21 am

I also think that the satos aren't the right coaches for Mao anymore, and it's very clear that their approach and Mao's are two very different ways, and i think we have witnessed that alot in competition. when Mao wanted to do something and they were against it or the opposite. but what I am worried about is the confidence, how the resent results must have affected Mao mentally, we all know that these two seasons has not been what Mao was looking for, and her practice clips from the competitions suggest that she has it all, what exactly happened at 2012 worlds is still a mystery to me, after seeing how beautiful she did all her jumps in practice.

to make a long story short i think hiring a technical coach, is more likely what Mao needs at this point, i think that sato knows how to talk alot about what he wants to change, but when it comes to real changes i think we can be very thankful that Mao is such a hardworker and a naturally talented jumper, I think that is the only reason she was able to overcome such a dramatic change, without a technical coach. but Mao is capable of much much more, we all saw the gouges 3A's and 3-3 she was doing in practice, and i am waiting for Mao to deliver that in competition too. I think Mao is much closer too her goal without being aware off it, she just needs a little more help, but the satos may not be the right ones to give that help.

I have to admit i am losing faith in them, and sincerely hope Mao will find a technical coach that replaces them. I think the reason why Mao wanted to stay in japan was mostly because of her mother, i see it as very likely that she may find a couch abroad, if she also feels that way with the satos.

I am thinking whether writing a letter to Mao about this issue may be the best option, and send it to her agency.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigster

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:32 am

Greetings to fellow Mao fans....Long time lurker, but first time poster.

I felt it necessary to finally voice my opinion as to the direction Mao's skating and am in complete agreement with Swan in Mao's lack of perceived progress under Sato.

I feel as though she's stuck in a time warp and not going out of her comfort zone, which would ultimately mean that the elusive Gold Medal in Sochi would be once again, beyond reach.

I think she could easily benefit with a sports psychologist and more progressive coaching. Here's a question I propose to all her knowledgeable fans on here....do you think Mao can have the inner resolve to pack her bags and move to Canada to learn under Orser?

I think he would be a fantastic fit for her......approach her technique and form under the eyes of someone different and successful. I'm weeping that under Sato, Mao is static and offers no "X factor" in the face of fierce competition.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigster

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 am

ballerinamao wrote:
I also think that the satos aren't the right coaches for Mao anymore, and it's very clear that their approach and Mao's are two very different ways, and i think we have witnessed that alot in competition. when Mao wanted to do something and they were against it or the opposite. but what I am worried about is the confidence, how the resent results must have affected Mao mentally, we all know that these two seasons has not been what Mao was looking for, and her practice clips from the competitions suggest that she has it all, what exactly happened at 2012 worlds is still a mystery to me, after seeing how beautiful she did all her jumps in practice.

to make a long story short i think hiring a technical coach, is more likely what Mao needs at this point, i think that sato knows how to talk alot about what he wants to change, but when it comes to real changes i think we can be very thankful that Mao is such a hardworker and a naturally talented jumper, I think that is the only reason she was able to overcome such a dramatic change, without a technical coach. but Mao is capable of much much more, we all saw the gouges 3A's and 3-3 she was doing in practice, and i am waiting for Mao to deliver that in competition too. I think Mao is much closer too her goal without being aware off it, she just needs a little more help, but the satos may not be the right ones to give that help.

I have to admit i am losing faith in them, and sincerely hope Mao will find a technical coach that replaces them. I think the reason why Mao wanted to stay in japan was mostly because of her mother, i see it as very likely that she may find a couch abroad, if she also feels that way with the satos.

I am thinking whether writing a letter to Mao about this issue may be the best option, and send it to her agency.

Hi Ballerinamao, that's exactly how I feel about Mao's current situation. Unless we do something, or at the very least make our voices heard, our beloved Mao would never reach the lofty benchmarks that she sets herself. I wouldn't have a clue how to reach her management...but I do know that Mr Orser would be keen to take on Mao. FACT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:44 am

welcome to the forum tigster!

I think that Mao may eventually come to the same conclusion, but going to orser i don't see as an option Mao would even consider, knowing that he was yunas coach. but I am still hoping that she may go back to rafael, or someone else. the thing is that the olympics is just around the corner so if such coaching changes is going to happen it has to be now, cause i doubt Mao will change her coach on the olympic season.

I wish some of the interviewers asked her what she thinks about sato and his way of coaching, cause we really don't know if she feels content with them or if she is just keeping them since the Olympics is so near!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:10 am

I'm attending classes RN and I can't really write a long post now... But I think the current team is working well for now. There was no adult elite skater who would attempt what Mao had. Most of the skaters her age struggle with fixing even one jump.
Orser is good at "packaging" the skater once their jumping technique is good, but he couldn't make Yuna's loop stable and couldn't help Adam with his Axel. Mao needed somebody who could help her with basics. And she's doing a great job considering all the disruptions in her schedule during the recent years. Thumbs up!

Also, perhaps I'm in the minority, but I definitely didn't read Mao's interview as Mao giving up or lowering her expectations... OTOH I think it's very optimistic:

Quote :
I think there is no end. There are many things to do or many things to fix. There are no limits as long as you are aiming for a better skater. But I'm actually not at that level yet! (laugh) I need to firm my basics first and then try those things.
(...)From now on, I think improving to be a better skater is all that matters to me. And my future dream is to have a family.Smile

To me, it feels as if Mao right now is concentrating on becoming a better skater, and she thinks there's no end to it, because you can always improve. And if you keep on improving, the medals will eventually come to you. But it's better to think about "what can I do to improve" than "what can I do to earn gold medal", because you can never predict what will happen in the actual competition. Maybe you'll need difficult jumps, maybe somebody with easy jumps but clean program will win - if you concentrate just on trying to predict that and pay too much attention to the competitors, judges and scoring, you'll just skate an uninspiring program. But if you concentrate on paying attention to the rules but at the same time being yourself and trying to move the sport forward, you''ll be remembered by fans and maybe you'll grab a few golds, too. Smile

silenceisgolden
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:26 am

I would totally agree with you, inskate Yep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:46 am

inskate wrote:
To me, it feels as if Mao right now is concentrating on becoming a better skater, and she thinks there's no end to it, because you can always improve. And if you keep on improving, the medals will eventually come to you. But it's better to think about "what can I do to improve" than "what can I do to earn gold medal", because you can never predict what will happen in the actual competition. Maybe you'll need difficult jumps, maybe somebody with easy jumps but clean program will win - if you concentrate just on trying to predict that and pay too much attention to the competitors, judges and scoring, you'll just skate an uninspiring program. But if you concentrate on paying attention to the rules but at the same time being yourself and trying to move the sport forward, you''ll be remembered by fans and maybe you'll grab a few golds, too. Smile

Beautifully said, inskate! Thumbs up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shikure
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:49 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awwK-HBV-Yo&feature=g-u-u news that confirmed attending CoC

inskate, I agree with you cheers
I never think Sato will slow her down for challenging. but with those rules change, she really needs to have back up plan to build her own reputation up again. if she puts 3A and 3F-3Lo back before it's ready, that will damage her scores again. I don't agree that she had bad year last year. she did great before worlds even in such difficult situation in her personal life. she improved a lot from speed and jumps, i always think Mao is amazing but when i went back to watch old programs, it's so amazing that now she is better than before.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:29 am

ballerinamao wrote:
to make a long story short i think hiring a technical coach, is more likely what Mao needs at this point

I think at worlds, her practising 48 3A affraid did her in, she overtrain herself, imo. To be fair, one must also wonder how the Satos feel about all of this. Don't get me wrong, i'd love for Mao to go to Rafael at least part time, but lets be honest, when she was with him she was 16 and had a reputation as the next big thing. When she came to the Satos, she had to rework the jumps, had personal problems and was far from a 16 year old growth spurt free prodigy. Didn't Sato once mention that NO ONE wanted to take her on in Japan? And she's also known to be a bit stubborn when it comes to certain elements. What I want to say is, I'm not ready to give up on Sato, I believe in him/them, but I agree with you, inviting a tecnical coach to the team would do wonders, imo.

And there is no way Mao will ever go to Orser, even though I wouldn't object to it. The training invornment must be amazing at the Cricket. Yep! In fact I'd like for Miki to go there.

shikure wrote:
I never think Sato will slow her down for challenging. but with those rules change, she really needs to have back up plan to build her own reputation up again. if she puts 3A and 3F-3Lo back before it's ready, that will damage her scores again.

THIS. Thumbs up!

tigster welcome to the forum! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:02 am

I was very relieved to read this interview, Cause for me it looks like Mao wanted that Olympic gold so bad that it ruined her mentally. Look at Yuna, she has never said, oh I want this gold medal, I will have it. She was working hard and improving her skating every season and even then she won almost everything in pre Olympic season she still didn't state she want it so bad. Only after she won it, that's clear every skater want Olympic gold but the matter is in how you think about it. So hearing the word "improving" made me so happy! I'm sure Mao is in the right track now))) Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:07 am

zarinaballerina wrote:
ballerinamao wrote:
to make a long story short i think hiring a technical coach, is more likely what Mao needs at this point

I think at worlds, her practising 48 3A affraid did her in, she overtrain herself, imo. To be fair, one must also wonder how the Satos feel about all of this. Don't get me wrong, i'd love for Mao to go to Rafael at least part time, but lets be honest, when she was with him she was 16 and had a reputation as the next big thing. When she came to the Satos, she had to rework the jumps, had personal problems and was far from a 16 year old growth spurt free prodigy. Didn't Sato once mention that NO ONE wanted to take her on in Japan? And she's also known to be a bit stubborn when it comes to certain elements. What I want to say is, I'm not ready to give up on Sato, I believe in him/them, but I agree with you, inviting a tecnical coach to the team would do wonders, imo.

And there is no way Mao will ever go to Orser, even though I wouldn't object to it. The training invornment must be amazing at the Cricket. Yep! In fact I'd like for Miki to go there.

shikure wrote:
I never think Sato will slow her down for challenging. but with those rules change, she really needs to have back up plan to build her own reputation up again. if she puts 3A and 3F-3Lo back before it's ready, that will damage her scores again.

THIS. Thumbs up!

tigster welcome to the forum! cheers

Same here too, zarina! We shouldn't forget that Mao started off reforming probably almost everything with Sato. Although personally I'd have preferred it if she went to Nagakubo instead, I thought it over and felt we can't really conclude whether Sato is the right coach or not for Mao...at least not right now. I think we should wait and see how she does during this season first. Mao's performance at JO did have problems, but on the whole it's been years since she skated pretty clean at that competition. I think that's pretty much a big accomplishment, which can make both us and Mao herself feel she's getting better.

swan wrote:
recently i've been questioning mao's alliance with the satos and wondering if she's really going to get anywhere with them in the long run. i feel like they're not involved with anything she does except for trying to reform her jump technique which she still has a long way to go. i've got a question for all of you takahiko fans. do any of you think he's changed much as a skater with the satos? for me, after all these years, i feel like he hasn't. i feel like he skates to the same kind of programs as he did years ago. i don't see anything significantly different between now and say four years ago. after all these years, he even wears the same kind of costume (collar, buttons, slits in the back, long sleeves with cuffs) with the same kind of colors (red, white, blue, black for both the shirt and pants). i'm wondering why the satos didn't intervene or experiment. takahiko fans, please don't be mad because i don't mean to put him down and i think he has a lot of fabulous qualities in his skating (wonderful jumping technique and very exquisite carriage across the ice in which i would argue his carriage is even better than MOST of the ladies currently skating). i'm asking this because if the satos didn't do much with him to make a difference, how are am i supposed to believe that they can make a difference with mao? if any of you believe takahiko changed a lot in the past few years, please explain for me and maybe then i can believe in the satos.

First of all, swan, I'm not that much of Takahiko's fan. I'm fond of him, like his personality and all, but I wouldn't call myself his fan. So I really do understand your views on Takahiko's performances. I used to feel the exact same way about him and thought he needed to change coaches to discover or build a new style in his skating. But over the past few years, esp since Vancouver Olys season, I started to notice that even though he sticks with Sato, he was actually trying to do so. He used rock music for the first time that season if I remember correctly, and I felt his upper body moves became more flexible, his jumps more sharper and he became more well adapted to the music. And his edge work has been getting better and better. He doesn't improve or change dramatically each season, but he is improving at his own pace. And though I've always felt he's getting better in techs but not in 'performing', when I saw his SP at SA last week, I kinda thought Takahiko is okay the way he is. He will never become a Dai type of skater, and he doesn't have to. If he doesn't like to dress in fancy costumes, that's okay too. I think he finally found the right type of music which can pull out all the good in him and appeal it to the crowd concerning his SP this season. He may not be a dancer on ice like Dai, but Takahiko can still move people with his own passionate feelings for skating by just being himself with the right music.

Now whether Sato is the best coach for Takahiko too is a question I can't answer. Takahiko must like Sato's way of coaching, so that should be why he stays with him. But I too feel alot of times that Sato's pupils evolve rather slowly than others. However, I've come to think that may be because Sato is looking at his pupil's careers in a longer span than some other coaches. No over-training at once, no rushing into everthing at once is the impression I get from Sato. I imagine he puts no injuries during practice as one of his top priorities. Yukari was a very stubborn skater and didn't take his advice much, tried to achieve a 3A and overworked, resulting in minor injuries, but enough to make her decide to retire quite early. I think Sato didn't want that to happen and regrets he wasn't able to manage to stop her from letting things turn out that way. I imagine Yukari wanted so much to make it to Olys, so that's why she rushed into things too much. So...this is only my imagination again, but I think Sato knows from experience that a skater becoming too obsessed with Olys may end in tragedy. That may be one of the reasons he doesn't rush Takahiko or Mao into making big noticable changes every season, but seems to stick to making them get better little by little. Note that after Yukari, his pupils never had serious injuries...at least not that I know of. I'd say that's one good reason for Mao to be with Sato till Sochi.

I mean, imagine if Mao went to Orser who I totally admit is a miracle maker when it comes to jumps...He'll probabaly try everything he can to put Mao back in shape in one season. He managed to make Yuzuru; a 17 year old kid who had to start from B internationals, who has breathing problems due to asthma, achieve a 2nd quad in just one season. That's great, sure! But this kid did not have the stamina to skate his FP, plus he had an injured ankle. I was terrified watching his FP in SA. Now, how would you guys feel if the same had happened to Mao? I'm not saying Orser is a bad coach; Yuzuru overdoing stuff is most likely his own fault IMO. Just wanted to show you an example of what happens when skaters rush into training or tries to do everything at once too much, and that could've easily happened if Mao went to a coach other than Sato, who I think is very cautious in training his pupils. We wouldn't want Mao to have an injury of any sort over anything do we? I think Mao can be stubborn like Yukari or Yuzuru too sometimes, so Sato becoming her coach during her reformings might have been the most safe choice. Mao might have wanted to complete her reformings and return to the top asap, but I believe Sato made her understand and accept that that's not possible. But Mao made a choice to start from almost zero again, and she's continuing her best at it one step at a time with no injuries. I think we should consider that Sato is doing his best with her in the way he believes is right.

My views on Sato may change again, but Mao not getting injured during her reformings is enough a good reason to give them more time till we reach a conclusion about their teaming up for the time being. But I do think Mao getting herself a jumping coach as well wouldn't hurt, too. If not Nagakubo, maybe Nobu's coach (sorry, what's his name?) might be a good candidate...

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:42 am

the only coach that obviously has good change in his skaters is Orser, Rafael didnt much with Mao, Mao before gone with him already had 3-3, 3a, 3 flutz and he didnt fix,Tarasova was little time with her but I didnt see too much change in jumps, 4 coaches, Yamada, Rafael, Tatiana and Sato, really I dont think that another coach will do real diference, may be Orser but I dont think Mao want to do that.
Better slow but safe, and Mao skating is more beautiful and refined now, I enjoy it more, is just that she is not consistent, but I prefer just one good performance from Mao in a season that 5 clean performances of Ashley. And I dont understand a lot of people saying that Mao is in comfort zone with her swan lake program, before all people said that her programs didt any favor, now Mao has a beautiful program, she has another problems to focus, she doesnt have time for experimental programs, and all the other skates chose her best style, Sasha " Iam flexible" with the most overused music in fs, Yuna her programs of look at me Iam pretty and overdramatic, Mirai the cute programs, Alyssa the princess prgram. May be Akiko has more variety.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 am

chapis wrote:
Better slow but safe, and Mao skating is more beautiful and refined now, I enjoy it more, is just that she is not consistent, but I prefer just one good performance from Mao in a season that 5 clean performances of Ashley.

THIS. I wouldn't judge her preparation solely on JO though. she's been through hell the past two season and just showing up at JO and not falling is a huge gift to me. She was tentative, not surprising though, but she'll have more training time until CoC, and especially until 4CC. So i think she'll be fine. But she has improved a lot.

chapis wrote:
And I dont understand a lot of people saying that Mao is in comfort zone with her swan lake program, before all people said that her programs didt any favor, now Mao has a beautiful program, she has another problems to focus, she doesnt have time for experimental programs, and all the other skates chose her best style, Sasha " Iam flexible" with the most overused music in fs, Yuna her programs of look at me Iam pretty and overdramatic, Mirai the cute programs, Alyssa the princess prgram. May be Akiko has more variety.

There will always be people who will say this sort of stuff no matter what Mao does. She could turn herself in to a sexy kitten Hell, no! (thankfully this isn't going to happen) and they'd say she's in her comfort zone. Rolling Eyes Personally, I believe there is a piece of music for which every skater was born to skate, and IMO, Swan lake is that music for Mao. Yep!

ROTFLMAO at describing Sasha's, Yuna's... style. You're spot on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:35 pm

chapis wrote:
the only coach that obviously has good change in his skaters is Orser, Rafael didnt much with Mao, Mao before gone with him already had 3-3, 3a, 3 flutz and he didnt fix,Tarasova was little time with her but I didnt see too much change in jumps, 4 coaches, Yamada, Rafael, Tatiana and Sato, really I dont think that another coach will do real diference, may be Orser but I dont think Mao want to do that.
Better slow but safe, and Mao skating is more beautiful and refined now, I enjoy it more, is just that she is not consistent, but I prefer just one good performance from Mao in a season that 5 clean performances of Ashley. And I dont understand a lot of people saying that Mao is in comfort zone with her swan lake program, before all people said that her programs didt any favor, now Mao has a beautiful program, she has another problems to focus, she doesnt have time for experimental programs, and all the other skates chose her best style, Sasha " Iam flexible" with the most overused music in fs, Yuna her programs of look at me Iam pretty and overdramatic, Mirai the cute programs, Alyssa the princess prgram. May be Akiko has more variety.

Laughing ROTFLMAO

welcome, tigster! thanks for reading my comments!

PochinkoPotanko, you're right about mao's avoidance of injuries with the satos. i suppose that's one good point about mao training with them. and she also seems to have a good relationship with them. however, i think that they lack looking at "the complete package." how could they let mao skate to that alfred schnittke "tango"? i never hated any of mao's programs until i saw that program (yes, i even much more prefer mao's olympic programs over that program). she obviously wasn't feeling the music, the judges hated it, and she couldn't keep up with the music and i have a good feeling that she couldn't keep up with the music during practice and training either. so why did the satos nod and say yes to her using that program from the beginning? it gives me the impression that the satos say "i don't care what kind of disastrous, unfitting type of program you use as long as you follow my directions." interestingly, i remember mrs. sato giving rather good advice about mao needs to skate the way she skates her exhibitions. however, i'm not convinced that the satos tried to enforce the "skate like your exhibitions" approach or even tried it at all, really. so it makes me sad that even if they have good ideas, they're not interested in investing any energy into using them. Depressed Crying

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 pm

swan wrote:
how could they let mao skate to that alfred schnittke "tango"? i never hated any of mao's programs until i saw that program (yes, i even much more prefer mao's olympic programs over that program). she obviously wasn't feeling the music, the judges hated it, and she couldn't keep up with the music and i have a good feeling that she couldn't keep up with the music during practice and training either. so why did the satos nod and say yes to her using that program from the beginning? it gives me the impression that the satos say "i don't care what kind of disastrous, unfitting type of program you use as long as you follow my directions." interestingly, i remember mrs. sato giving rather good advice about mao needs to skate the way she skates her exhibitions.

Maybe they don't get involved in the choreography process, and let their skaters keep whatever is given to them? I find it weird, but remember in the olympic season when people were so againts Mao's program (I think it was the Bells) and TAT offered her to change to something else and Mao said no. So she can be pretty stubborn. If I were the coach, and the program wasn't optimal for my skater I'd make the skater change it. They weren't objecting to those horrendous costumes either, or maybe they were behind the scenes, but it didn't matter. scratch

I hope they will put their foot/feet down in the future if something isn't working for Mao, be it a program or a costume or technical content. It's also in their best interest that their skater gets shown at her best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:46 pm

you know i think you guys are right about Mao overworking herself at 2012 by attempting sooo many 3A and jumps in general, but i still stand by my previous point, Mao needs a technical coach that's the only part of her skating that right now needs more focus so that she can reach her full potential. Mao has it all she just needs to bring it. I know that i say "just" and that bringing it is easier said then done, but my god just the day before the competition at worlds 2012 and at JO she was doing everything soooo beautifully, it was filmed and everyone was able to witness what amazing 3A's and jumps she has remastered during such a little time with her new technique, so a technical coach may not have much to say or change that she hasn't already done, but he/she could give her the asureness and thereby the confidence to not hold anything back and just do what she has always done so far.
no matter what the specific effect might be i think Mao should have a technical coach by her side, especially thinking about how much difficulty she could still fill her programs with, which means that there needs to be someone professional who can keep a close watch on her jumps in general and maybe help Mao decide when he thinks she is ready to upgrade her arsenal.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:50 pm

ballerinamao wrote:
you know i think you guys are right about Mao overworking herself at 2012 by attempting sooo many 3A and jumps in general, but i still stand by my previous point, Mao needs a technical coach that's the only part of her skating that right now needs more focus so that she can reach her full potential. Mao has it all she just needs to bring it. I know that i say "just" and that bringing it is easier said then done, but my god just the day before the competition at worlds 2012 and at JO she was doing everything soooo beautifully, it was filmed and everyone was able to witness what amazing 3A's and jumps she has remastered during such a little time with her new technique, so a technical coach may not have much to say or change that she hasn't already done, but he/she could give her the asureness and thereby the confidence to not hold anything back and just do what she has always done so far.
no matter what the specific effect might be i think Mao should have a technical coach by her side, especially thinking about how much difficulty she could still fill her programs with, which means that there needs to be someone professional who can keep a close watch on her jumps in general and maybe help Mao decide when he thinks she is ready to upgrade her arsenal.

I completely agree, and this is what I don't understand. It wouldn't hurt enyone if extra pair of eyes were present and it would only benefit Mao. Maybe sato doesn't allow it? I'm only speculating here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitty

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:06 pm

I also hope that Mao can have a good technical coach, particularly a jump coach like Mr. Hiroshi Nagakubo (He must be credited for making Akiko so competitive even at the age of 27!).

I can still recall the appreciation from Mao towards Mr. Nagakubo for his kind advice on axel jumps before Olympics. Jump coach is indeed very vital and can be fatal to one's skating career! (Pity that Mao had to end her relationship with Mr. Nagakubo since the start of 2010-11 season.)

With good and consistent jumps, Mao can build the same high level of confidence in herself as she had it in early years. With confidence going up and a more consistent and huge jump contents, perhaps certain judges dare not lowball her or give (non-across-the-board) UR calls so often.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:42 pm

kitty wrote:
I also hope that Mao can have a good technical coach, particularly a jump coach like Mr. Hiroshi Nagakubo (He must be credited for making Akiko so competitive even at the age of 27!).

I can still recall the appreciation from Mao towards Mr. Nagakubo for his kind advice on axel jumps before Olympics. Jump coach is indeed very vital and can be fatal to one's skating career! (Pity that Mao had to end her relationship with Mr. Nagakubo since the start of 2010-11 season.)

I really hope that she will have nagakubo as part time coach, or get his advice once in a while, like you guys have said, after she worked with him Mao stated that her axel jumps has never been better, and indeed that season she landed all three axels at most of her competitions which also where the most important competitions. him being able to communicate with Mao in Japanese is also a huge advantage for Mao.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:47 pm

if mr. sato is not considered a technical coach, then what is he? the only thing that comes into my mind is a "look into the future" coach. but i think mao needs more of a "look into the present" coach... that being said, are there really that many good technical coaches out there? it seems they are hard to find. and yes, it's a pity that mao is no longer working with mr. nagakubo. i'm left wondering what could have been if she stayed with him.

i hate to bring up the classic "mao and yu-na" rivalry, but after all these years, i think what separates the two is their management. yu-na's not only great technically and artistically, but nobody can argue that her management is oustanding. mao, on the other hand, has the most questionable management i've ever seen in figure skating. she leaves more questions than answers. i don't think it's a lack of talent that made mao decline far behind yu-na... more of a lack of management. now if mao had used a technical coach and a good sports psychologist and competed with programs like por una cabeza + payadora, caprice, ballade no. 1, and i vow to thee my country against yu-na... well, most certainly the gap between them would close. all these mao-haters would suddenly realize "wow, mao sure is a good competitor" or whatever (or not). now, not to take anything away from yu-na's accomplishments because she's an oustanding athlete and person and she's very talented, but i think she and her obsessive fans are quite lucky that mao's management just doesn't work efficiently, at least in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 27  Next