HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:25 am

swan wrote:
i'm not very familiar with the code of points, so how COP friendly is mao's long program? i know i keep hearing many of her previous programs weren't so COP friendly (and i can sort of see why).

roma wrote:
How COP friendly I cannot say. However, I'm beginning to wonder why most of Mao's FS jumps are in the first half of her program. Only the 3L-2L and 3F-2L-2L are done after the halfway mark. Most will take advantage of using the halfway mark to get more points but Mao's FS this season definitely the other way around this season.

I think 3S was actually supposed to be in the second half, Mao just landed it too early by a second or so. As for the unusual placement of 4 jumps at the beginning: I think the rule change is to blame. I think that when Mao's LP was choreographed back in August, it might have looked somewhat like this:

3L
2A-3T
3F
SpSq
3Lz
1st Spin
3S
3L-2L
2nd Spin
3F-2L-2L
StSq
3rd Spin

However, because the choreographic sequence (which replaced the spiral sequence) must be placed after the StSq they put it in the place of the final spin, which now had to be moved elsewhere. And while Mao probably would have no problem with landing 3Lz after the spiral sequence, landing it just after the spin could be a bit too risky, so they swapped those twoelements around.

As for the CoP-smartness - I think there are 2 types of being CoP-smart, actually.. I'm reminded of the situation with Mao's spins back in the 2007-08 season... At Skate Canada her spins were CSp3, FSSp4, CCoSp4 and CoSp4. Despite the missed level on the camel spin, she got very good GoEs. She had just one spin with a flying entry, though (which earn a bit more points), so her team changed her spins to CoSp, FSSp, CCoSp and FCCoSP, aiming for lvl4 in all of them. Seems CoP-smart, no?
However, Mao never got as many points (base value + GoE) as at Skate Canada. Stuffing more features into the spins meant she never managed to execute them perfectly, and not only she kept losing a level here or there, but also her spins took so much time she had t rush through her choreo, often missing parts of it (like the lovely back bend she used to do at the beginning of her StSq early in the season).

Actually, a lot of results recently seems to suggest that it's better to start with a lower BoV, but execute everything well, than to have more risky program, but skate slowly, tentatively or with falls. So I'm actually quite fine with this season's LP - I think what's lost in the BoV will be made up with GoEs and PCS. Smile And I think it's quite important for Mao to build up a reputation of being consistent and skating in an artistic, mature way - this would benefit her during the Olympic season. flower

roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 pm

inskate wrote:

I think 3S was actually supposed to be in the second half, Mao just landed it too early by a second or so. As for the unusual placement of 4 jumps at the beginning: I think the rule change is to blame. I think that when Mao's LP was choreographed back in August, it might have looked somewhat like this:

3L
2A-3T
3F
SpSq
3Lz
1st Spin
3S
3L-2L
2nd Spin
3F-2L-2L
StSq
3rd Spin

However, because the choreographic sequence (which replaced the spiral sequence) must be placed after the StSq they put it in the place of the final spin, which now had to be moved elsewhere. And while Mao probably would have no problem with landing 3Lz after the spiral sequence, landing it just after the spin could be a bit too risky, so they swapped those two elements around.

---
Actually, a lot of results recently seems to suggest that it's better to start with a lower BoV, but execute everything well, than to have more risky program, but skate slowly, tentatively or with falls. So I'm actually quite fine with this season's LP - I think what's lost in the BoV will be made up with GoEs and PCS. Smile And I think it's quite important for Mao to build up a reputation of being consistent and skating in an artistic, mature way - this would benefit her during the Olympic season. flower

Thanks for the insight, inskate! That made sense now. 3S should have been in the second half. They usually do 4 jumps & combos after the second half but 3 should be ok.

Previous years we discussed about Mao's BoV here and she usually has the highest. However, she gets dinged with URs and negative GOEs that it cancels out the advantage of having that high BoV. Right now it's important for her to consistently nail her elements so as to increase her GOE and PCS more. Looking at her protocols it wasn't so bad. One solo jump UR (Lutz) and the last combo (all URs). The last combo did look iffy starting from the flip. Even if she did ok with the other jumps the GOEs still are a bit low so hoping now that she nails her jumps in CoC. She already started well with JO. Hope she can build on that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
BowbowDaijin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Mao2012 wrote:

And, I read in her BIO that her sp will be "I got rythm variations"... What will it be like??

I also doubt with that. Maybe it is a music with faster or slower than original. Hoping it is not the
same as Mirai Nagasu did once. Hoping there will be a Tap Step Sequence!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:12 am

BowbowDaijin wrote:
Mao2012 wrote:

And, I read in her BIO that her sp will be "I got rythm variations"... What will it be like??

I also doubt with that. Maybe it is a music with faster or slower than original. Hoping it is not the
same as Mirai Nagasu did once. Hoping there will be a Tap Step Sequence!

I think it was mentioned there will be some tap dancing involved. :-)
Back to top Go down
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:47 am

I haven't seen it posted here yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DEE_D2Vjro
It's a fun program with Mai interviewing Mao. Smile There are a few short practice clips; you can see Mao landing a gorgeous 2A-3T at 1:21 Smile

ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:58 pm

thaanks soo much for the link inskate it was really interesting answers Mao provided... one thing i noticed in the interview was how "humble" Mao has become, it's for me an indication that she somehow has lowered her own expectation of herself, and just skate and deliver the way she usually does inpractice! what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:40 am

inskate wrote:
I haven't seen it posted here yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DEE_D2Vjro
It's a fun program with Mai interviewing Mao. Smile There are a few short practice clips; you can see Mao landing a gorgeous 2A-3T at 1:21 Smile

Will someone translate the interview? I know it's super long, but a brief synopsis will make me happy. Lol! I agree that the 2A-3T is gorgeous. Also, I appreciate that Mao and Mai seem have to a close relationship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:06 am

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

Will someone translate the interview? I know it's super long, but a brief synopsis will make me happy. Lol! I agree that the 2A-3T is gorgeous. Also, I appreciate that Mao and Mai seem have to a close relationship.

Mao_Asada_sunrise, read the video comments for the translation. User "aoi sora" posted them.
Back to top Go down
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 am

While searching for Mao Asada posts in google I stumbled upon this analysis of her swan lake step sequence in JO. I don't understand these steps terms much so for those who do:

Step analysis Swan Lake Mao Asada 2012 Japan Open

Just use google to translate the entire page.
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:22 am

i just read the translation, but it didn't make much sense with google translate, but what i understood was that the steps are really complicated. maybe someone will give a brief translation of this articles content.

but well spotted roma, i have been trying to find news about mao, but since JO there hasn't been much!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:29 am

The lack of news is killing me so I can't help but try to search daily if there are any news or blogs about Mao. I know starting next week we'll definitely have some because of CoC but while waiting I found this page containing Mao's stats starting from 2005 Japan Nationals. It's updated with stats from the recent Japan Open.

http://chika3.so.land.to/modules/skateDB/index.php?page=player&playerid=1

Quite interesting to see Mao's scoring details: where she got her highest PCS marks, jump success rates, highest and lowest GOEs on her jumps (highest 3A GOE is 1.86 at '08 4CC) and other elements plus other info. Seems her highest FS PCS to date is the one she got at Japan Open 2012 followed by her Olympics PCS (and not including her Nationals PCS). In the SP her highest PCS is the one she got in Vancouver. However, if you look at individual marks for both SP and FS, her lowest is always Transitions/Linking Footwork/Movements. It'll be interesting to see how she'll score in PCS in the GP series. Will she still get as high as the one she got in JO and what will be her GOE marks?

You can also see the stat details of other athletes from that site.
Back to top Go down
shikure
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:30 am

new training vid from weider http://www.weider-jp.com/supportproject/mao_asada/index.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 am

roma wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

Mao_Asada_sunrise, read the video comments for the translation. User "aoi sora" posted them.

Thank you! Regarding the triple axel, does this mean she won't be doing it this season?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:17 am

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
roma wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

Thank you! Regarding the triple axel, does this mean she won't be doing it this season?

Guess you didn't need it anymore, but I translated mostly all of it so I'll post it here anyway...

Quote :
00:25 They've come a long way together
00:45 So the two...
00:51 have a world which they can only share

00:55~
Mao:Since we started (skating) just the same together, and everthing was the same for us, we had strong feelings that we wanted to win over eachother.
Mai:We were really at it, battling all the time.

01:10 They have words only they can share

Mai:What is your dream at the moment, Mao?
Mao:My dream?

01:21 For the one little sister in the world
01:31 For the one big sisiter in the world

(Introduction for the program ends here and the interview begins from the top...)

Mai&Mao:'Yoroshiku-onegaishimasu' (Thanking eachother in advance sort of phrase often used in Jpn before starting something together)

Mai:It feels kind of strange just chatting in front of the camera.
Mao:Feels really strange yeah
Mai:So how should we do this? Uh, but well it seems it's okay to just act normal so...
Mai&Mao:Yoroshiku-onegaishimasu (again, lol!)
Mai:So, what will be the highlight of your FP this season?
Mao:Hmmmm...the highlight of the FP is...
Mai:You can just introduce us about the FP then.
Mao:Well, I chose the music "Swan Lake" this year...but it's a mixture of the 'white swan' and the 'black swan', so the music has been edited into an original one. The music changes alot, so there's alot to see in the program.

Narration:Usually they get along very well, but this day they seemed a bit nervous talking to eachother. But Mai has noticed the change in Mao's skating.

Mai:Usually you always brings your 3As at the very beginning...
Mao:This season, I didn't really care which jump to put in first, so I discussed it with Tat and decided to do a different jump, so we kind of changed things just a little.
Mai:Close to the end you have a 'sugoi' (means both great and/or difficult) step sequence.
Mao:Yes since the rules changed a bit we had to put a choreo step sequence there, but I really like the way it ends and I like the steps too, so I hope I can heap up the program by skating.

Narration:'Heap up the program by skating'...those were words which came from Mao's confidence which she had achieved from the past 2 years. The agony eversince that day (Vancouver Olys FP)...Mao is finally starting to overcome it.

Mao: Including last season, in the past seasons I hadn't been able to do well as I really could, so I'm thinking how much higher up I can keep climbing. So I might challenge something (new) or maybe in some other way, I just hope I can climb up higher.

Narration:Climbing a high wall and overcoming it...that has always been the style of Mao's figure skating. The start of it all was her big sister Mai.

Mai:What was I like to you?
Mao:Mai? Hmmmm, well we've been together eversince I was born so...
Mai:Everbody knows that!
Mao:Yeah, but...how should I put it?
Mai:Friends?
Mao:Hmmmmm....
Mai:Friends? But not best friends
Mao:You can add them (friends and best friends) together and divide them into two, and that'll be the perfect answer.
Mai:Yes, we talked about the same thing yesterday.
Mao:Right, add them then dividing would be the best way (to explain our relationship). But I can understand what Mai is thinking even without any words, even more better than the closest of friends. Mai probably understands me in the same way too. / Since we started (skating) just the same together, and everthing was the same for us, we had strong feelings that we wanted to win over eachother.
Mai:We were really at it, battling all the time.
Mao:But when I lost I was able to feel more motivated to do better...vice versa...it was like that wasn't it?
Mai:Yes...Are such experiences helping you out thesedays?
Mao:Well, know I kind of feel different. In those days I just didn't want to lose to you no matter what, but now all I can think of is how much more things I can go on challenging, and make my skating lots and lots more better.
Mai:You keep saying you want to get better or go higher, but where exactly do you want to head to?
Mao:Well...I wonder...there are so many...there are so many things I still have to do, so many elements I still have to fix. Even if I do good, there will always be a better endlessly...but I haven't even gotten there (good) even! (laughter) No, I haven't even reached that point yet. I have to get hold of my oun pace in doing things, and it starts from there.

Narration: And in an year Sochi Olys will begin. Before the Olys season ahead of her, what can Mao be thinking?

Mai: Do you imagine yourself competing or standing on the podium in Sochi?
Mao:Well, entering Vancouver Olys became both a good experience and memory for myself as an athlete, and I realized how big (important) an event Olys are, and felt that I want to be part of it again...
Mai:After watching London Olys, did you feel that Sochi is close on it's way?
Mao: When I saw the Bei-jing Olys before Vancouver, I really wanted to go to Olys, and after that everyday seemed to pass real fast until Vancouver, so I think Sochi Olys is already very close.

8:11 What is your dream now?

Mai:What is your dream at the moment, Mao?
Mao:My dream?Hmmmmm...my dream, right?
Mai:Yes.
Mao:Well, my dream since childhood was to win the gold medal in Vancouver, but I got to win silver...so one part of that dream, winning a medal there became true...so...Well, dreams are things which are there since you're a child so...I've grown up and wonder what those dreams really meant...so I can only say, how much I can do and improve.
Mai:So is that your...(dream now)?
Mao:My future dream is to have my own family!
Mai:Wow, where did that pop out from?
Mao:But that's how I'm really feeling right now.
Mai&Mao:Thank you very much! (laughter)

Back to the studio...but I'm not translating that part, sorry guys!

Btw, Mao has already commented to the press that she is hoping she can include her 3As by the end of the season if possible. Smile

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:23 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Btw, Mao has already commented to the press that she is hoping she can include her 3As by the end of the season if possible. Smile

I really like the "if possible" part. She has changed, before she just put the 3A in no matter what, I like the new mind set. Now I'm hoping that japanese media will back off on 3A and won't be bothering Mao with it in every interview!

And thanx for the translation. Daisies for you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 pm

roma wrote:
The lack of news is killing me so I can't help but try to search daily if there are any news or blogs about Mao. I know starting next week we'll definitely have some because of CoC but while waiting I found this page containing Mao's stats starting from 2005 Japan Nationals. It's updated with stats from the recent Japan Open.

Quite interesting to see Mao's scoring details: where she got her highest PCS marks, jump success rates, highest and lowest GOEs on her jumps (highest 3A GOE is 1.86 at '08 4CC) and other elements plus other info. Seems her highest FS PCS to date is the one she got at Japan Open 2012 followed by her Olympics PCS (and not including her Nationals PCS). In the SP her highest PCS is the one she got in Vancouver. However, if you look at individual marks for both SP and FS, her lowest is always Transitions/Linking Footwork/Movements. It'll be interesting to see how she'll score in PCS in the GP series. Will she still get as high as the one she got in JO and what will be her GOE marks?

Interesting. I never understood why she always got such low marks on her Transitions/Linking Footwork/Movements. Her movements have always been what I love most about her skating.

Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:39 pm

Star85 wrote:
roma wrote:

Interesting. I never understood why she always got such low marks on her Transitions/Linking Footwork/Movements. Her movements have always been what I love most about her skating.

sadly, i'm starting to think that mao's management really doesn't understand the COP that much. i know that i'm not very familiar with the COP myself, but i get the impression that mao's team overall doesn't know what they're doing with mao.

on another note, here's to hoping that mao's short program won't be a "lovely mao princess" program. she's done enough of those already and therefore they don't do much for her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:04 pm

swan wrote:
sadly, i'm starting to think that mao's management really doesn't understand the COP that much. i know that i'm not very familiar with the COP myself, but i get the impression that mao's team overall doesn't know what they're doing with mao.

on another note, here's to hoping that mao's short program won't be a "lovely mao princess" program. she's done enough of those already and therefore they don't do much for her.

I think alot of us has doubted whether team Mao is good at making pros which can get scores in COP for quite a long time. That's why some of us think she should move on to a different choreographer. Rolling Eyes

ITA on your hopes for no more "lovely mao princess" programs (but I don't mean the balletic ones). Still I can't imagine 'I Got Rythm' turning into that sort of pro, so I'm not so worried about that. It's basically a classic jazz number and even Judy Garland was no princess when she sang and danced to it. Laugh

OTOH, translating that video (which I didn't have to) made me very worried...even a bit frustrated. It was obvious that the staff of the show wanted Mao to mention how she's determined to win or at least medal in Sochi Olys, but it was clear that she was trying her best not to. And when she was asked what her dream was at that moment, she was only able to say to improve herself more and stuff (calm but not so excited about such things like she used to be), plus the only big smile came to her face when she said her 'future' dream (wondering if that's true) is to have a family of her own...which is of course I too would want for her in her life at some point, but the fact that she mentioned it recently shows how lonely she feels without her mother I think. I'm guessing again, but losing her mother that early made her think about life on the whole, and maybe winning gold in Olys isn't much of a priority to her anymore. That's the impression I got, sadly. No

But starting off pretty well in JO might have changed her mental state a bit. I hope as the season goes on, she'll be able to light a fire in herself again to try once more for Olys gold. However soft and elegant she is, I want her to keep on being a fighter! Cheering

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:08 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

OTOH, translating that video (which I didn't have to) made me very worried...even a bit frustrated. It was obvious that the staff of the show wanted Mao to mention how she's determined to win or at least medal in Sochi Olys, but it was clear that she was trying her best not to. And when she was asked what her dream was at that moment, she was only able to say to improve herself more and stuff (calm but not so excited about such things like she used to be), plus the only big smile came to her face when she said her 'future' dream (wondering if that's true) is to have a family of her own...which is of course I too would want for her in her life at some point, but the fact that she mentioned it recently shows how lonely she feels without her mother I think. I'm guessing again, but losing her mother that early made her think about life on the whole, and maybe winning gold in Olys isn't much of a priority to her anymore. That's the impression I got, sadly. No

But starting off pretty well in JO might have changed her mental state a bit. I hope as the season goes on, she'll be able to light a fire in herself again to try once more for Olys gold. However soft and elegant she is, I want her to keep on being a fighter! Cheering

I'm sure a family is Mao's big dream for her future, but I'm also pretty sure winning the olympics is still the most important goal in her life for right now. It's not like the olympics are still another 3 or 4 years away. They are just a little over a year away. So I'm sure continuing to push on with her life's work and compete in the Sochi is her top priority right now. Maybe her heart is not in it quite as much as it was for Vancouver since winning gold there was plan A and now Sochi is kind of a plan B, but I don't think we have anything to worry about. Smile

Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
I'm guessing again, but losing her mother that early made her think about life on the whole, and maybe winning gold in Olys isn't much of a priority to her anymore. That's the impression I got, sadly. No

This could be a good thing though. If she isn't as obsessed with oly's gold she might be less nervous and will be able to go to the Olympics more relaxed, imo. But I agree with Star85, I think winning the gold medal in Sotchi is still her number one goal, to me, she just looks more cool about it, than she had 3 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

she said the most important is to improve, not too much the gold medal, I believe her, her way to speak is very mature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks for translating, Pochi!

Quote :

Mao: Well...I wonder...there are so many...there are so many things I still have to do, so many elements I still have to fix. Even if I do good, there will always be a better endlessly...but I haven't even gotten there (good) even! (laughter) No, I haven't even reached that point yet. I have to get hold of my own pace in doing things, and it starts from there.

Mao: Well, dreams are things which are there since you're a child so...I've grown up and wonder what those dreams really meant...so I can only say, how much I can do and improve.

Mao: My future dream is to have my own family!

These are interesting quotes to me. It seems like an insight into Mao's training progress. There were big hiccups along the way during the past two seasons so I really hope this season will be better for Mao -- nothing negative to happen so that she can concentrate on doing the things she needed to do. That three-year target, I hope they can keep on track.

And it's interesting to note her answer on her dreams. It's so different from before. She used to say directly that her goal is still to get that gold but now... looks to me like she's trying to be realistic. Her answers are very mature now but that family quote just came out of nowhere!

Pochi wrote:

Btw, Mao has already commented to the press that she is hoping she can include her 3As by the end of the season if possible.
As much as I have come to dislike seeing her try and fail the 3As these past seasons I dunno why I feel happy reading this... maybe because after the interviews and stuff this one finally feels so Mao-like. Seeing that 3A clip at JO practice I'd say you go girl!

swan wrote:

Thankfully the music and Mao's description doesn't seem like it's gonna be the princess type of program. I can't wait to see how they're gonna incorporate tap-dancing like moves there. Scheherazade was nice but for me it would've been a better program when Mao was younger.
Back to top Go down
babayaga
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

OTOH, translating that video (which I didn't have to) made me very worried...even a bit frustrated. It was obvious that the staff of the show wanted Mao to mention how she's determined to win or at least medal in Sochi Olys, but it was clear that she was trying her best not to. And when she was asked what her dream was at that moment, she was only able to say to improve herself more and stuff (calm but not so excited about such things like she used to be), plus the only big smile came to her face when she said her 'future' dream (wondering if that's true) is to have a family of her own...which is of course I too would want for her in her life at some point, but the fact that she mentioned it recently shows how lonely she feels without her mother I think. I'm guessing again, but losing her mother that early made her think about life on the whole, and maybe winning gold in Olys isn't much of a priority to her anymore. That's the impression I got, sadly.

PochinkoPotanko, thank you so much for the translation. I have to say I really like her answers. I think that her mother's death put things into perspective for Mao, her system of values have changed. She now knows that there are things that are much more important than any medals, even an Olympic gold. So I am sure it is still her goal, but she is much more OK with any outcome than before. It seems that the tragedy made her grow up, she is wise now Smile I am glad I have read your translation, because now I myself will be much more relaxed about her performance at the Olympics. Knowing that she is OK with any result as long as she skates her best, I am OK too.
There is another thought I have which is a little sad - it is possible that getting the Olympic gold was her and her mother's joint dream, and it may be a little painful for her to think about it now. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:57 pm

seems like mao is mentally prepared in case she never gets that gold medal. i think that if she can get past these underrotations, low marks, popped jumps, and such, then that accomplishment would mean much more than a gold medal.

i know that this would be too much for her to train at the moment (or even during olympic season) but i'd love to see mao train an ina bauer. just not an ina bauer into double axel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:57 pm

swan wrote:
seems like mao is mentally prepared in case she never gets that gold medal. i think that if she can get past these underrotations, low marks, popped jumps, and such, then that accomplishment would mean much more than a gold medal.

i know that this would be too much for her to train at the moment (or even during olympic season) but i'd love to see mao train an ina bauer. just not an ina bauer into double axel.

Yes, I agree that Mao is more mentally prepared for whatever happens not just at the olypics, but I've also noticed Mao seems to have kind of an not-the-end-of-the-world-if-I-don't-win attitude in competition in general lately. I think maybe she had gotten used to winning for a while, then when she started running into some problems (while Yuna was fixing all of hers), and she wasn't winning as much, she had to adjust her frame of mind.

Yes, I think we would all like to see Mao do an Ina Bauer! Maybe someday after she is retired and doesn't have to worry about jumps so much she will feel like learning something like that. Fingers crossed! I doubt we will see it by Sochi. If she decides to stick around a few more years AFTER Sochi, then who knows... maybe we will get lucky! Seems like we are not seeing as many Ena Bauers in general these days Sad

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!    Today at 10:17 am

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2012-2013 Season!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 27  Next