HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Ken Himura
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:27 am

Haidogirl wrote:
let`s talk wrote:
What dress is it on Mao?

source: http://www.arsoa.net/mao/
Thats so beautiful!Many Hearts 
This is the dress of Claire de Lune SP =)

sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Someone posted a translation of Tat's recent interview about Mao at FSU. It's quite interesting, and I love their relationship! It's wonderful to know that Mao has such good support around her:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?89905-The-portrait-of-Mao-Asada-by-the-story-which-Tatiana-Tarasova-talked-about
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Do you guys think that JSF will send Mao to 4CC now that the Olympics is scheduled so closely? and does anyone know whether japan will be able to attend the team event without pair skaters?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FigureArtist14

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:07 pm

I don't they'll send the Olympic team to 4cc and I have no idea what they're going to do about the team event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 pm

ballerinamao wrote:
Do you guys think that JSF will send Mao to 4CC now that the Olympics is scheduled so closely? and does anyone know whether japan will be able to attend the team event without pair skaters?
Re. Oly team event:

Actually, though Jpn didn't have pair team qualify for pair (Narumi/Ryuichi are the 1st alternative now), Jpn is indeed qualified to attend the Team event. According to the rules of Team event, if the country qualifies for only 3 of the 4 categories, they can pick a team in the 4th category and 'assign' the team/skater to take part in the team event. It won't be a surprise that JSF assigns N/R to attend the team event only in the end. Plus, there is rumors now that the only Estonian Pair has one of its skater denied Estonia citizenship recently. But it's not for certain how things will go.

To add, if Jpn is to attend the team event, following the rules of team event members selection announced by JSF long time ago, it "COULD" be possible that Mao will be skating to SP, while Akiko skating to FS, based on the best scores they're getting for the season so far...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:32 pm

I hope that people at JSF have learned from their past mistakes and realized that the skaters are not a machine, and when they are overworked they will falter when it counts the most.

They send everyone to 2010 4CC, hopefully, this won't happen this time around.

About the team event: COHK is right, if JSF assign Narumi and her partner to team event, they can compete (as long as they reached the minimum TES score for Oly's), since Japan has other three discipline qualyfied.

Honestly, since there's no way Japan will medal in team competition, I hope JSF will leave Mao alone.

This trully sucks for the estonian pair.
The lithuaninan ice dance pair has a similar problem, only in their case it's worse. Isabella Tobias has namely learned the language, but the government still isn't pleased, because the pair is training in the USA and not in Lithuania. Whirly  Are they for real? Hello, they're in USA because the conditions are better there and also the top coaches are in USA not in Lithuania. It's not like Isabella just waltzed in, asking them for a citizenship. She's making an effort and has learned the freaking lithuanian language. I hope the government will come to their senses (if they haven't already) and will grant her the citizenship.

As for Narumi, I wonder if deep down inside she regrets leaving Mervin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:40 pm

COHK wrote:
ballerinamao wrote:
Re. Oly team event:

Actually, though Jpn didn't have pair team qualify for pair (Narumi/Ryuichi are the 1st alternative now), Jpn is indeed qualified to attend the Team event. According to the rules of Team event, if the country qualifies for only 3 of the 4 categories, they can pick a team in the 4th category and 'assign' the team/skater to take part in the team event. It won't be a surprise that JSF assigns N/R to attend the team event only in the end. Plus, there is rumors now that the only Estonian Pair has one of its skater denied Estonia citizenship recently. But it's not for certain how things will go.

To add, if Jpn is to attend the team event, following the rules of team event members selection announced by JSF long time ago, it "COULD" be possible that Mao will be skating to SP, while Akiko skating to FS, based on the best scores they're getting for the season so far...
Interesting, I always thought that every skater would have to skate the sp and fs, but this makes the team event easier to attend I would think, if it only one program Mao would have to skate.
Japan nationals sure is going to be interesting Unconscious, I just don't remember the JSF to ever have send some skater to worlds and other to 4CC, it was always the same skaters selected who have to attend both. But maybe they will make an exception, now that it's an Olympic season, with such a deep field it would only be fair to divide the assignments a bit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:46 pm

zarinaballerina wrote:

Well Mervin didn`t look happy at all with her new partner in TEB, the poor girl was all smiley y Marvin like No 
pale 
I am sure Narumi is in the same situation or worse Sad 

About 4cc I hope Mao don`t participate, I don`t think the Japanese federation can obligate her Suspect  but you know Mao, may be she will want to go. If she really don`t want to go she can to say she is sick or injured
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:56 pm

zarinaballerina wrote:

I'm always under the impression that Mervin is a better skater than Narumi. Just my 2 cents and I don't know much about pairs. Mervin must be in the same situation, since Natasha is not on the same league as Mervin. He's a good skater but he's only 5ft9 so he doesn't have many choices in choosing partner. But he diddn't have any say. Even if Mervin and Narumi stay together, they won't be able to go to the Olympics due to different nationalities, will they?

Even when you have raised up the temperature up to 99 degrees, it is said the water can never get to the boiling point if you fail to have the last one degree get past 99. The thing that boils the water is the last one degree. [The key to a success] is none other than enduring that last 1 minute when you feel like giving up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 am

ballerinamao wrote:
Maybe they will send the olympic team to olympia and them who dont qualify for olympia will go to 4CC

“To be able to grow and not be scared, the first thing you have to do is to experience anything and everything. This first thing you should do is have the courage to face your weak point. Then you will get real strength.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:45 pm

Haidogirl wrote:
ballerinamao wrote:
Maybe they will send the olympic team to olympia and them who dont qualify for olympia will go to 4CC
That's what I dearly hoping too, since all these skater are too talented to just be left at home, it would be devastating after all the preparation training and hard work, the thought of it alone is very heartbreaking to think of. I really hope the JSF will divide the assignments a bit, especially in the Men's discipline, afterall they are all capable of delivering a good skate an get good results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:34 pm

OMG! You guys have to read this interview on Rafael Arutunian. It's a very, very good interview and sheds some light on what happened between him and Mao (aside from the other stuff).

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?89937-Rafael-Arutunian-quot-I-know-what-Plushenko-knows%85-quot
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Shocked Wow, now we finally know what happened! This mystery has been one of the best kept secrets in Mao's life!

I was so sad to read about it though.

"It had taught me a lesson. A coach never should make a decision without full knowledge of the situation. Asada didn't leave me, I made her quit, even though she didn't want to until the very last moment. Even at the World championships my name was in her protocol up until the beginning of the free program. Mao must have thought I would come to Gothenburg with Jeffrey Buttle and will be by the boards when she skates. And I didn't come to Sweden at all." Sad 

Now part of me wonders what would happen if someone told Rafael about Mao's Mom and Rafael ended up going to Japan...

He still seems to have such a love and appreciation for Mao though:
"You said it. As for me, I suppose that Asada is just a big figure skating icon for judges. Mao, unlike Kim, didn't quit after the Olympics, she is capable to capture an audience in any condition. She has triple Axel, after all. It is, on the one hand, a unique element in women's figure skating, on the other - it's a reproach to all the coaches in the world. It's not right that no one else does this jump. I think it will change in near future, and I think it is most likely to happen in Russia. There are just too many strong girls. Someone is likely to try to make a breakthrough using difficulty. I would like to find a girl who wants to do this jump."

And that's what we love about her as well, never quitting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 pm

sapphiresky wrote:

Now part of me wonders what would happen if someone told Rafael about Mao's Mom and Rafael ended up going to Japan...
When Mao didn't go to the US as Rafael expected I think that may be the time they found out about her Mom's condition. I can understand why they didn't tell Rafael. Maybe they were still too shocked themselves and maybe even in denial. It just goes to show how strong Mao have been -- actually her entire family's strength is amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 pm

roma wrote:
sapphiresky wrote:

When Mao didn't go to the US as Rafael expected I think that may be the time they found out about her Mom's condition. I can understand why they didn't tell Rafael. Maybe they were still too shocked themselves and maybe even in denial. It just goes to show how strong Mao have been -- actually her entire family's strength is amazing.
I love that no matter what, Mao still has the respect of all of her past coaches. That says something (very positive) about what kind of person she is. You will never see Mao involved in the kind of drama Brian/Yuna had in 2010.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:49 pm

When I learned about Mao's mother condition, this is what I assumed had caused her to split from Rafael, and the interview just confirmed what I suspected. I always felt Rafael was the best coach for Mao. If Mao had his technical expertise during the seasons leading up to Vancouver, she might not have that slump or even have to undergo such a retool of her jumps after the Olympics. I'm really happy to hear that he still shows his support for her after all these years. Smile 

And I just love his answers to the interviewer's question about Mao's under-rotation issues. "Show me the protocol" haha
I absolutely agree with what he says in regards to Mao's skating. When the overall skating quality is so good, it is normal to overlook minor flaws, and if they aren't noticeable to judges, skaters should be given the benefit of doubt imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Now I understand that neither party is to blame for the breakup, but I can't help imagining what Mao could have been had Maos' team told Rafael and he ended up going to Japan. He would certainly go for her if he knew the truth. There wouldn't be much regret if Mao doesn't get on well with Rafa, but they definitely had good professional relationship, he has the technical expertise that Mao needs and he still speaks on her behalf after so many years and defend her. All those factors just make the breakup more regretful Depressed Crying 
The interview is very interesting. Now I have more appreciation for Raf and Michelle. Both have amazing work ethics. My love for Sasha kinda drops a few mark Crying or Very sad 
We need to have more candid interviews like this. Sadly only true FS fans read this kind of interview. Others don't bother or they have been brainwashed by major media corporation. I can understand why Mao is so tight-lipped about her personal struggles, but do you guys think that she could have fared better in terms of PR if she has been somewhat more open about them? I hate seeing her being bashed by those who know nothing about the situation. Frustrated

Even when you have raised up the temperature up to 99 degrees, it is said the water can never get to the boiling point if you fail to have the last one degree get past 99. The thing that boils the water is the last one degree. [The key to a success] is none other than enduring that last 1 minute when you feel like giving up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:27 pm

Very interesting interview. I've always wondered for years why Mao and Rafael stopped working together. Sources only say "Mao did not come to the US and left Arutunian after 4CC". Now we know why...

Btw... yayyy. I have a rank now Razz cheers 

Mao Asada Fan Wub
I WILL tawk like a black person if anyone tawks SHIZ about ma boo..  Evil or Very Mad

To Mao doubters/haters:
Mao is the fabulous Swan Queen and you're fat.

Last edited by ilovethai on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
COHK
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:30 pm

pearlyriver wrote:

We need to have more candid interviews like this. Sadly only true FS fans read this kind of interview. Others don't bother or they have been brainwashed by major media corporation. I can understand why Mao is so tight-lipped about her personal struggles, but do you guys think that she could have fared better in terms of PR if she has been somewhat more open about them? I hate seeing her being bashed by those who know nothing about the situation. Frustrated
I kind of sharing your frustration here, pearlyriver. I'm so tired of ppl on the major forums criticizing Mao's technique now that I don't pay close attention to their comments. But I was really pissed when a certain "know-it-all" fs poster on GS criticizing Mao, saying that Mao looked like "she didn't want to be there (at the competitions)", and repeatedly saying this. I so much want to rebut the poster statement with this: if she didn't want to be there, she could have quit after her mother passed away; if she didn't want to keep on competing, she could have quit after the consecutive #6 placement at WC... BUT SHE DIDN'T!
I don't get it why there are ppl who just jump to their own conclusions about things, and take the position as if they know everything based on the limited information they posses, sometimes even from hearsay. In the end they don't even bother to understand the real reasons behind how things have come from the beginning.

Re. Rafael's interview, I enjoy reading it as well. And it came to me after reading his comments about Mao in the interview, that once Rafael was interviewed by Jpn journalists re. 3A, he replies by saying:"you see, it's not about 3A, it's about the beauty of Mao's skating." Coach Sato said something similar commenting on Mao's recent performance (of the Nocturne) "私から見ても魅力的になっていると思う" (I think it has become attractive/fascinating even when viewed from me). And we all know that TAT is a big fan of Mao...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:42 pm

ilovethai wrote:
Very interesting interview. I've always wondered for years why Mao and Rafael stopped working together. Sources only say "Mao did not come to the US and left Arutunian after 4CC". Now we know why...

Btw... yayyy. I have a rank now Razz:cheers: 
Congrats ilovethai cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:46 pm

shar wrote:
ilovethai wrote:

Btw... yayyy. I have a rank now Razz:cheers: 
Congrats ilovethai cheers 
Thanks a bunch Shar cheers Love Hearts 

Mao Asada Fan Wub
I WILL tawk like a black person if anyone tawks SHIZ about ma boo..  Evil or Very Mad

To Mao doubters/haters:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:21 am

Hm, the interviewer's question about Mao's jumps is not very nice. She should get penalized if she makes obvious UR or wrong edge, but she's not the only one. People are so fixated on singling her out. She doesn't only have the jumps, she's the complete package. The jumps make her special, but I agree with Rafael that it's just the cherry on the top of the cake. Without the cherry, the cake is still yummy. Without the jumps, she's still a beautiful skater to watch.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:47 am

pearlyriver wrote:
Hm, the interviewer's question about Mao's jumps is not very nice. She should get penalized if she makes obvious UR or wrong edge, but she's not the only one. People are so fixated on singling her out. She doesn't only have the jumps, she's the complete package. The jumps make her special, but I agree with Rafael that it's just the cherry on the top of the cake. Without the cherry, the cake is still yummy. Without the jumps, she's still a beautiful skater to watch.
Like I said before, no one is ever going to be happy with Mao until she retires, and there will be no other ladies even attempting what she did/is doing. like reworking her jumps from scratch, consistently going for a 3A for over 8 years as a senior. Reworking all of her elements from scratch...spin, speed, edges, interpretations, emoting, use of arms and facial expressions. And most beautiful of all, STEP SEQUENCES!!!

You're right pearlyriver, Mao is the whole package. But like any unappreciated uniqueness, people won't know what they have/had until it's gone.

There will always be another Caro or Yuna. Someone with great speed, big jumps, and dramatic facial and arm movements. But the basics of their skating technique is SAFE. (Actually, Caro has put in a lot of work to improve her skating, so she's not exactly being safe) There are no risks put in to raise the overall level of ladies skatings like what the men are doing. Ladies get that risky skater every 10-20 years it seems. So I guess we will have to wait a decade to see another Midori, Mao, Surya, and Tanya level of risks for the ladies event.

Last edited by shar on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ilovethai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:59 am

shar wrote:

There will always be another Caro or Yuna. Someone with great speed, big jumps, and dramatic facial and arm movements. But the basics of their skating technique is SAFE. There are no risks put in to raise the overall level of ladies skatings like what the men are doing. Ladies get that risky skater every 10-20 years it seems. So I guess we will have to wait a decade to see another Midori, Mao, Surya, and Tanya level of risks for the ladies event.
And what I noticed about Midori, Surya and Tonya, is that they are under-appreciated in the skating community. Rather, people remember Nancy, Oksana and Kristi more. I'm not saying that the latter 3 are not as good as the first 3, I'm saying that women who push the boundary for ladies figure skating should be remembered just as specially.

My hope is that the up-and-coming crop of Russian wondergirls will push the boundary for the ladies. Technically, they are something to behold. Only 13-16 years old and already landing difficult 3-3 combos. I think it will only be a short time before some of them attempt 3A or even quads. cheers But then.. there's the growth spurt to consider Neutral 

Speaking of quads, I remember, after the 2010 Olympics, when Mao said she was gonna try the quad loop by the 2014 Olympics. Too bad she had to re-learn her jumps Sad We won't see the quad loop, but becoming the first woman to land 8 triples is equally as record-breaking and history-making.

Mao Asada Fan Wub

To Mao doubters/haters:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:15 am

ilovethai wrote:
shar wrote:

There will always be another Caro or Yuna. Someone with great speed, big jumps, and dramatic facial and arm movements. But the basics of their skating technique is SAFE. There are no risks put in to raise the overall level of ladies skatings like what the men are doing. Ladies get that risky skater every 10-20 years it seems. So I guess we will have to wait a decade to see another Midori, Mao, Surya, and Tonya level of risks for the ladies event.

And what I noticed about Midori, Surya and Tonya, is that they are under-appreciated in the skating community. Rather, people remember Nancy, Oksana and Kristi more. I'm not saying that the latter 3 are not as good as the first 3, I'm saying that women who push the boundary for ladies figure skating should be remembered just as specially.
[/quote]

Good point ilovethai. But a part of the reason they are not as remembered, is because, while they had the risk and power jumps, they were not as artistic as their fellow competitors at the time. Surya, who I love, was the worse artistic skater of her time if i'm being honest. And Midori was never on the same level artistically as Nancy and Kristi. Neither was Tonya. Thankfully, Mao,who is more successful then the other 3, has both the artistry and takes risks. And I bet her success will make them become more appreciative by the FS community when she retires.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!    Today at 7:48 pm

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2013-2014 Season!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next