~ Good luck, Mao! ~

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  
Sochi Olympics 2014! 5 5 36
Share | 

Sochi Olympics 2014!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 64 ... 70  Next
AuthorMessage
itsonlykat
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:37 pm

Heres the reason why there are many EMPTY seats at the competitions.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sochi-olympics-whats-behind-the-empty-seats-at-the-2014-winter-games/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:11 am

Congratulations Yuzu, Chan and Denise  Confetti Confetti Confetti 

I only checked the protocol and watched only Yuzu's performance clip.

I'm really happy for Denise.  He must be very proud of himself for making a great comeback and wining OBM!!  OTH, I'm very sad to know that Javi zayakked ...  Neutral  And Tatuki, only if he didn't mess up his 3lz in SP ...  silent 

It looks there were not many clean skates at all.  But they competed in totally different levels where many of the skaters attempted a quad/quads, unlike the Vancouver where quad-less skater was able to win.  

It's distressing to read that Mao's chances are getting slim because Yuzu has won.  As she said many times her goal at this Olympics is to deliver two clean performances.  I want her to remember the disappointment and resentment she felt at herself after FS in Vancouver for making mistakes and fire up her spirit to not repeat it but achieve her goal.  She's been working so hard, overcoming a lot of difficulties both in her skating life and personal life.  oh god please help her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zarinaballerina
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:27 am

itsonlykat wrote:
Heres the reason why there are many EMPTY seats at the competitions.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sochi-olympics-whats-behind-the-empty-seats-at-the-2014-winter-games/

This might be one of the reasons, but it's certainly not the only reason. Honestly, this article is making it sound like the arenas are half empty because the American's chose not to go.  Rolling Eyes 

Sponsors get a lot of tickets and then no one from them shows up. London had the same problem. British were begging for tickets but couldn't get any, because a certain percentage went to different corporations, and no one showed up. So they had a lot of empty seats and even more very pissed off citizens.

I've just read some comments from jeremy over at GS. I have to say this guy is delusional and needs to learn how to present himself to the public.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/sochi/2014/02/14/winter-games-usa-jeremy-abbott-jason-brown-figure-skating/5480137/

linglang wrote:
It's distressing to read that Mao's chances are getting slim because Yuzu has won.  As she said many times her goal at this Olympics is to deliver two clean performances.  I want her to remember the disappointment and resentment she felt at herself after FS in Vancouver for making mistakes and fire up her spirit to not repeat it but achieve her goal.  She's been working so hard, overcoming a lot of difficulties both in her skating life and personal life.  oh god please help her.

Nothing is over until it's over. Mao still has a chance but she'll have to have two skates of her life to make it happen, so it's up to her. No room for error.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rachmaninoffangel

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:36 am

rachmaninoffangel wrote:
The livestreams are not working here! And unfortunately I don't subscribe to the channels with Olympics. Will be heading over to my friends place to watch Mao. I'll be a wreck! I got class at 9am and it's 3.30am here. Ahhh, perils of a figure skating fan

itsonlykat wrote:
Where are you from? Here in Slovenia, the streams have been working great, with an ocasional hiccup, hopefully it'll stay this way.  Worship 

Now you get to see how the Europeans felt during Vancouver. The skating started at around 2 am, and finished between 5-6 am, after that I had to get ready for either school, or work. I really did look like a zombie by the time the Games have ended. Thank God Russia is 3 hours ahead of us.

I'm from Singapore! I finally understand how torturous it is for all of y'all to wake up so early to catch the broadcast. I asked my friend if I could go over to watch Mao after checking the schedule last week! Well prepared. I don't know if my heart can take it though :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:44 am

Eh... missed checking out the forum during the competition. I can only manage being in the FB group but I'll try to be here also during the ladies' competition.

The men's LP was a bit underwhelming but so happy that Yuzuru managed to hang on for the gold. Patty let that chance slip by his fingers. And Dai... that was really beautiful. If he only didn't attempt a quad given his condition and just maybe tried to skate clean with all triples in both SP and FS I think he could have made podium. But then Dai is also stubborn like Mao when it comes to that.

I've read several not so good tweets on Tatsuki's firebird last night. Ryan Bradley made a joke... something like Fawkes (Dumbledore's phoenix) puked on it. And then there's Michael Buckley who said "Firebird? more like Flappy Bird"... Another one was saying about flailing arms.

I just hope Mao will get a confidence boost from Yuzu's gold, don't think about points and the gold so much and just focus on giving the performance she wanted. I want her to live her dream of being able to skate clean in the Oly. In Vancouver, even with the 5pt gap, she was so happy because she nailed her short. Now I want her to nail both short and long.

Congrats Yuzu, Patty and Denis!

Last edited by roma on Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:37 am

roma wrote:
Eh... missed checking out the forum during the competition. I can only manage being in the FB group but I'll try to be here also during the ladies' competition.

The men's LP was a bit underwhelming but so happy the Yuzuru managed to hand on for the gold. Patty let that chance slip by his fingers. And Dai... that was really beautiful. If he only didn't attempt a quad given his condition and just maybe tried to skate clean with all triples in both SP and FS I think he could have made podium. But then Dai is also stubborn like Mao when it comes to that.

I've read several not so good tweets on Tatsuki's firebird last night. Ryan Bradley made a joke... something like Fawkes (Dumbledore's phoenix) puked on it. And then there's Michael Buckley who said "Firebird? more like Flappy Bird"... Another one was saying about flailing arms.

I just hope Mao will get a confidence boost from Yuzu's gold, don't think about points and the gold so much and just focus on giving the performance she wanted. I want her to live her dream of being able to skate clean in the Oly. In Vancouver, even with the 5pt gap, she was so happy because she nailed her short. Now I want her to nail for short and long.

Congrats Yuzu, Patty and Denis!

Remember in Worlds 2010? When Daisuke won? Mao said she was motivated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pearlyriver
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:57 am

zarinaballerina wrote:

I've just read some comments from jeremy over at GS. I have to say this guy is delusional and needs to learn how to present himself to the public.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/sochi/2014/02/14/winter-games-usa-jeremy-abbott-jason-brown-figure-skating/5480137/

Wow, did he really say that? Such big mouth from a skaters known for being a choker. Just when I like him more and more. I thought that his programs were really beautiful and he's the kind of skater who can charm the audience just by flapping his arms.

Even when you have raised up the temperature up to 99 degrees, it is said the water can never get to the boiling point if you fail to have the last one degree get past 99. The thing that boils the water is the last one degree. [The key to a success] is none other than enduring that last 1 minute when you feel like giving up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:54 am

zarinaballerina wrote:
Nothing is over until it's over. Mao still has a chance but she'll have to have two skates of her life to make it happen, so it's up to her. No room for error.

Exactly.  Twisted Evil 

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
Remember in Worlds 2010? When Daisuke won? Mao said she was motivated.

Good point!!  Very Happy 

pearlyriver wrote:
zarinaballerina wrote:

Wow, did he really say that? Such big mouth from a skaters known for being a choker. Just when I like him more and more. I thought that his programs were really beautiful and he's the kind of skater who can charm the audience just by flapping his arms.

oh Jeremy ... that too much to say to the media.  Disappointed  If he wanted to let off steam by ranting he should've done in private, not in the presence of people from the media.  I don't know if he knew it was recorded or not. It's naive to assume that they will ever try to put themselves in his shoes, better be wary of them who look for every opportunity to take advantage of whatever you feed them.  Neutral 

by the way, on top of Yuzu, Ms. Kobayashi was made famous by being with him in K&C and people loved her reaction ... http://matome.naver.jp/odai/2139231664848885801
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sweetdream
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:31 am

rachmaninoffangel wrote:
rachmaninoffangel wrote:
The livestreams are not working here! And unfortunately I don't subscribe to the channels with Olympics. Will be heading over to my friends place to watch Mao. I'll be a wreck! I got class at 9am and it's 3.30am here. Ahhh, perils of a figure skating fan

itsonlykat wrote:
Where are you from? Here in Slovenia, the streams have been working great, with an ocasional hiccup, hopefully it'll stay this way.  Worship 

Now you get to see how the Europeans felt during Vancouver. The skating started at around 2 am, and finished between 5-6 am, after that I had to get ready for either school, or work. I really did look like a zombie by the time the Games have ended. Thank God Russia is 3 hours ahead of us.

I'm from Singapore! I finally understand how torturous it is for all of y'all to wake up so early to catch the broadcast. I asked my friend if I could go over to watch Mao after checking the schedule last week! Well prepared. I don't know if my heart can take it though :/

Omg I feel your pain!! It's so hard with the schedule and coping with school!! I totally dozed off last night trying to watch the Men FS! I saw only Denis Ten and after that i was in dreamland  Sleep and woke up at like 3 to see parts of Jason brown and the final result heh.

(On a side note, rachmaninoffangel, there are re-runs in the afternoon! So FYI Smile )

I totally dont want to jinx anything, as it would be horrible. Cause I so wanted Kevin Reynolds, Machida to nail his SP and look what happened.... And Ice dance and ladies are 2 segments that would be so nerve wrecking... How did I even survive Vancouver the last time...  Snow 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:37 am

http://www.japantoday.com/category/picture-of-the-day/view/good-start

^ Best reaction ever:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:52 am

I actually think Jeremy ranting out like that is brave because I often wish celebrities and other famous figures would stand up for what they believe in, but for fear of keeping one's image, they don't. My only issue is that he was probably fueled more by his frustration of his performances than from a fire created out of unjust opinions from others. Besides, it's not like he didn't have good points. He made a point that the public should try to imagine themselves in another person's shoes. Yes it's difficult, but it's better to try to be empathic than to be apathetic. It is also a long shot to expect the public to be empathetic, but I still think it's good that he gave us a reminder to try to be empathic towards others, even famous figures. Instead of criticizing him, we should at least look at the good points he made in his speech.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shar
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:32 am

I wonder if Mao goes back to bending as low as she used to before going into a 3a, would she get the rotation she needs to avoid all of the ur she's been getting this season. She won't travel as far,  but she will get the height she needs to complete the rotations before landing.  

Bless his heart,  but as good as a coach Sato has been to Mao, she clearly needs a jump tech on hand to fine tune her jumps, which has gotten a lot better. But not good enough to be consistent and to avoid her ur issues. 

Since Mao's a Disney fan I would like to dedicate this song to help boost her confidence heading into her competitions:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:44 am

I just caught up on the broadcast of the men's FS, what an event.

As Kurt Browning concluded, there really wasn't a single brilliant skate in the whole of the 24 skaters. It was a very strange event indeed.

When I saw that Yuzu won Gold, I really expected more than when I saw the broadcast.
I didn't expect that he left such a large room for Patrick- but Patrick, as many have mentioned, didn't take this opportunity.

The battle was really...who made fewer mistakes, and it came down to who had a better short program.

My fav were Daisuke and Jason Brown.
Jason was so carefree and happy to just be at the Olympics- everyone else was so focused on the medal the scores, but Jason was just focused on the performance. It was great that he was at the end, it was like a breath of fresh air that the crowd deserved after such a tiring event.
And his reaction in the K&C was just so cute, I love his relationship with his coach. He really showed throughout his skate how much he loves what he does.

Daisuke's skate was just beautiful- it was a summation of the artistry he had developed over the years, the technical was one part of it, but the entire skate was what made it magical. He showed his love and dedication to skating in that program.

In a way, that's how I hope Mao will end her career too. No matter what the final result is, everyone already has so much respect for her. Her previous coaches, other skaters' coaches, other skaters, younger skaters, the public, all love and respect her as a skater and as a person. She just has to show her passion and her love for her skating on the ice, and the ending will be magical as well. I think I might just start bawling by the end of her programs!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
COHK
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 am

Mao returned to Sochi:

http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/olympic/sochi/2014/02/15/1p_0006711304.shtml
Due to the interview incident when Mao first arrived in Sochi, this time she didn't take any interview.

On the other hand, in Jpn, Mai took the interview in an event and talked about Mao:
http://www.daily.co.jp/newsflash/gossip/2014/02/15/0006711238.shtml

Mai says she's in contact with Mao everyday when Mao was in Armenia. Mai reported that Mao's training there went quite well. Mai also confirms that Mao's costume is in the blue colour.
Mai also said that she got a lot of photos from Mao when she was in Sochi earlier for the team event, including a photo with Narumi at the game centre in Sochi... Wink 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
inskate
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Sochi Olympics 2014!   Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:58 am

shar wrote:
I wonder if Mao goes back to bending as low as she used to before going into a 3a, would she get the rotation she needs to avoid all of the ur she's been getting this season. She won't travel as far,  but she will get the height she needs to complete the rotations before landing.  

1. That would be risky, changing something in a jump so shortly before the competition would render it unstable.

2. It's not necessary. The 3As Mao did in practices before the team event were the highest she's ever done, and the best in terms of rotation and smooth landing. I didn't see any underrotated one, and she even overrotated the one in the 1st practice session. Mao's 3A jumping style started to remind me of Nobunari's - that soft knee landing.

The problem is the speed - Mao underrotated 3A in the SP because she was too slow going into it.  It's always more difficult to land a jump in competition than in practice, but if she approaches the jump with more confidence, she should be fine.

I think Sato did a good job with Mao's jumps, actually. Thumbs up! I think they would be close to perfect if it weren't for 2 things:

1. I agree with TAT that it would be best if Mao took the post-Vancouver season off and reworked her jumps before bringing them them into competitions. They weren't even close to ready in the 2010-11 season, and as a result Mao switched back and forth between old and new technique, messing up her muscle memory. Reportedly JSF "politely suggested" that Mao should appear in the GP series because she improves the TV ratings when she competes, though...
2. Outside circumstances - Mao's training schedule was affected by the tsunami disaster in Japan (& Moving the Worlds to Moscow), her mother illness and passing away, late growth spurt and having problems with eating and developing muscle mass, chronic back injury, etc.. Those aren't things that any coach could help with, though.  Sad

Selfishly, I kind of hope that after Sochi Mao takes a season or two off, but comes back for the 2018 Olympics. Her technique would be even more stable then, and her expression and skating skills have improved so much recently that her programs would be a joy to watch.  Lips sealed

Sochi Olympics 2014!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 58 of 70Go to page : Previous  1 ... 30 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 64 ... 70  Next