HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao's strategy going forward?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:58 am

Totally agree with you Snowdrops24.

Mao is just amazing. She's a fighter. I hope she'll win the WORLDS again this year. This girl deserves the title.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:09 pm

bibi and polosatik: thanks for clarifying the prerotation technique with me!! Razz Very Happy The skaters at the elite level sure makes the jumps look easy at times, though in reality, it takes a long time and hard work to perfect the skills. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chapis
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:40 pm

snowdrops24 I love your post I love you , so true . her attitude is incredible, she is sweet but I think that she has strong personality Worship because with the criticism she donīt stop never. I am almost sure that her team and federation told her that stop her 3flip3loop, or 2 triple axels, or salchow and she didnīt.

Is incredible because is obvious that yuna want try triple loop, and her team (federation i think) say no and seems that she will acept it. I donīt blame to yuna, is a normal reaction, but I admire that Mao donīt have fear to try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Really late reply but its quite fantastic that both Michelle and Uncle Dick will be back for NBC's coverage!

Oh, I just can't wait to see Dick's reaction when Mao lands her 3A... Yep!

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/clovera
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:43 pm

I came across this quotation yesterday and I thought it described Mao perfectly:

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a person perfected without trials." - Confucius

Go Mao! You are a true GEM!! Keep fighting! Cheering
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:23 am

Batsuchan wrote:
Sure, sometimes she's concentrating hard and gets off the beat, and she doesn't really change her facial expression, but it's all in her body. I'm used to watching ballet performances from the nosebleed section - there's no way I can see the ballerina's face, so if she's not expressing the emotion in the tilt of her head, the curve of her back, the position of her arms, etc, etc, I'm not going to see it. So that, more than facial expression, is what I watch for.

It has always been my opinion that less skillful skaters overcompensate with exaggerated facial expressions and ridiculous arm movements. That was one of the reasons why Yuna Kim is a turn off for me. People go on and ON about how expressive her face is and here I am thinking, "How many people there on the day could actually afford seats where facial expressions should factor in on their enjoyment of the performance?" Certainly for me, it's all about how the skater's body moves. That being said, Plushenko's 2006 Olympics LP made me laugh; all I could remember after watching the video was jump-waves arms-jump-waves arms-jumps-waves arms. He's still a real master, though Smile

Now, for me, Mao's skating is just right. I thought her 2006-2007 Czardas LP was adorable. I guess that's where all the comments about her programs not being 'mature' enough stem from. That particular LP was so playful and the little shoulder wiggle she gave before her step sequence was my favourite part of the program. I love 'Masquerade Waltz' but I do hope that she isn't getting pressured into doing more dramatic pieces just to prove something to a few errant reporters. I think her 'So Deep is the Night' Ex. shows that she doesn't have to go for the really dark stuff to put together an exquisite and moving performance on the ice.

Personally, I would like to see her do something similar to the 'Fantasie Impromptu' program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:31 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
I think her 'So Deep is the Night' Ex. shows that she doesn't have to go for the really dark stuff to put together an exquisite and moving performance on the ice.

Personally, I would like to see her do something similar to the 'Fantasie Impromptu' program.

I thought 'So Deep is the Night' was soo moving and gorgeous. Love Hearts I think Mao does really well with melancholy songs - like her 'Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra' SP. Her exquisite, delicate style perfectly matches the heartbreaking tone of these songs. She doesn't need any facial emotion - in fact, I think that would overdo it and ruin the song.

I was thinking about this the other day - Mao's song choices this season remind me a lot of her choices in 2006-07 - she picked two songs that were very different from each other: one pretty and ballet-like and very much in Mao's natural style, and another one that was supposed to push her limits of expression. And I think those two years were/are challenge years, when Mao was more interested in improving her skills than winning Worlds. In the 07-08 season, I think her song choices were closer to her natural style, and I think that was partly because she really wanted to win Worlds. So I wouldn't be surprised if Mao picked songs closer to her natural style in the Olympics year.

I thought 'Fantasie Impromptu' was fabulous; I'd be happy if Mao picked something like that! Happy dance
Back to top Go down
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:53 pm

I was wondering about Mao's programs for next season the other day. It would be great if TAT choreographs and SP and Lori Nichol, the FS.

I heard that Mao is considering to have TAT choreograph both of her programs. Personally, I don't think it's a very good idea. Lori has more experience with working with Mao on her FS programs. The ones she did for Mao suited Mao's nature and let her personality shine through. In literal terms, Mao looks freer in Lichol's FS than TAT's FS. TAT could focus more of her attention to coaching and choreograph the SP instead. She did a wonderful job last season - that SP remains my favourite till this day (love the steps sequence at the end). More importantly, Mao was able to master and express the music well by the end of the season Very Happy (i.e. 4cc and worlds), unlike Masquerade Waltz (Mao's performance has been up and down for this one).

Oooo, can't wait for the World Team Trophy and the new season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rockstar Wish I could fast forward time. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
zooma

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:13 am

Lori is a Canadian and she can't be trusted for the Olympic season. It's better to go with Tarasova all the way. At least in singles, three of her students (Kulik, Yagudin, Arakawa) have struggled in pre-olympics seasons but won OGM in the end. Mao is treading exactly the same path.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:30 am

I do agree with you ZOOMA. Better to trust TT with all her programs for the simple reason that there is so much politics going on, nothing personal -Lori Nichols, but its better to be safe and I think TT is trustworthy. I didn't like the choreo Lori made for Mao's Sp although Mao performed it exquisitely. It's so scary nowadays because politics in figure skating is really way out of control with the media, the fans, the coaches/choreographers and with the whole system. Prestige and good conscience is substituted by all the hypes created by these brazen people maybe because they have to think of how to survive with the present economy. So MAO, go and prove to them the real meaning of figure skating with the help and support of TT. I know that MAO will define and make all the difference and she will be the envy of all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:36 am

I don't think we have to worry about Lori being Canadian... She's been helping Mao for a long time. Smile Let's not be too paranoid. Smile
What is more worrying is that Lori choreographs for like 3/4 of the elite skaters, so it might be difficult for her to find time to really concentrate on Mao's programs.
Another good point of having TAT choreograph both routines would be the fact that TAT could see how Mao progresses during the practice and what causes her trouble and adjust the programs accordingly. And this is a very important thing under CoP. Both Mao and Nobu had to have their programs readjusted (Nobu twice), and they had to either go to Canada or make Lori arrive to Japan. Time taken, jet lag, expenses = not fun. I think that the skaters who have their choreograph always ready to take a look at their programs are at advantage. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juliet
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:38 am

I'm so glad that THE WORLDS is over and Mao has gauged how she will deal with things. The facade of the judges and media and the fans and the commentators were all exposed and I'm very amazed with the resiliency of Mao. She's in the right path and I know she will show people how it is to be a real champion, a real one without the corruption and the exploitation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MOACHANTHEBEST
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:08 am

juliet wrote:
I'm so glad that THE WORLDS is over and Mao has gauged how she will deal with things. The facade of the judges and media and the fans and the commentators were all exposed and I'm very amazed with the resiliency of Mao. She's in the right path and I know she will show people how it is to be a real champion, a real one without the corruption and the exploitation.
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Okami wrote:

What is more worrying is that Lori choreographs for like 3/4 of the elite skaters, so it might be difficult for her to find time to really concentrate on Mao's programs.
Another good point of having TAT choreograph both routines would be the fact that TAT could see how Mao progresses during the practice and what causes her trouble and adjust the programs accordingly.

Bingo! I think you hit the nail on the head Okami! Thumbs up!

Lori has made some beautiful programs for Mao, but the fact that TAT choreographs for Mao exclusively among the ladies, and is her coach, is a big plus, in my opinion. Then, everyday she spends with TAT, they can make adjustments to her programs as necessary. Yep!

An interesting tidbit from Mao Asada, Seventeen - Apparently, after they finished "Masquerade Waltz," TAT was like, "Hmm, it might be too hard. But don't worry, because when I come to Japan in August, if it's too hard, we'll change it."

And Mao was like, "What? But it would be a shame to let all that choreography go to waste," so she took it as a challenge and practiced really hard, and so they decided to use it. But both of them must've known that it was very, very difficult.

Another thing - it seems that TAT and Mao both enjoy pushing the limit of what Mao can do, so it'll be like, "Can you do this, Mao? Oh, you can! What about dancing like that?" etc, etc, and before you know it, Mao's got an extremely difficult program. Whirly

While I always appreciate and admire Mao's challenger spirit, I think this year for the Olympics, maybe it's a good idea to not take on something super-demanding (Mao said when they first finished 'Masquerade Waltz,' she couldn't skate it all) - and focus on making something slightly demanding into something perfect...Wub

Random question - Who choreographed 'So deep is the night'? Was it Lori?
Back to top Go down
MOACHANTHEBEST
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:04 pm

O.K. According to TT, Mao's winning strategy is for her to FALL IN LOVE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_c8ZhnizT8
According to this video, TT suggested Mao to fall in love in order to be able to express her feeling better!!! Mao look sooooooo cute!!! Love Hearts Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:16 pm

MOACHANTHEBEST wrote:
O.K. According to TT, Mao's winning strategy is for her to FALL IN LOVE!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_c8ZhnizT8
According to this video, TT suggested Mao to fall in love in order to be able to express her feeling better!!! Mao look sooooooo cute!!! Love Hearts Love Hearts

Yep - I posted a translation of the full article in the 'Recent Mao news' thread. flower

Watching this clip, I could not help but think, gee, I don't know if it's intentional or not, but this is a great piece of proactive spin doctoring. Thumbs up! Because now, if the paparazzi took some pics of Mao holding hands with some guy, the reaction won't be "OMG, Mao Asada has a boyfriend, scandal! Scandal!!" Instead it will be like, "Oh look, Mao has a boyfriend! Good for her! This will be good for her expression in skating!" So now the public/media is fully prepared to accept Mao having a boyfriend...very interesting, methinks. Too sweet!
Back to top Go down
MOACHANTHEBEST
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:28 pm

Butschan, I am sorry I did not know you have posted this video in another thread. I think your comment on this, is really clever and cute!! You are right in that this may calm public/media reaction if Mao really finds someone. Who is going to be her lucky prince???? Question Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tianrushui
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 pm

[color:204a=black]Batsuchan,it is Lori Nichole who choreographed "So deep is the Night". Well, I always appreciate lori's cooperation with Mao. Lori's choreography could express mao's softness to the best. As to TAT's choreography, at first I always thought that it "destroy" some part of Mao's characteristic. However, it also gives chance for mao to try other style. I feel sorry that mao decided not to cooperate with Lori next season Crying or Very sad Hope TAT could make two programs as good as last year's sp for next season..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:56 pm

MOACHANTHEBEST wrote:
Who is going to be her lucky prince???? Question Very Happy

To quote Mao, "Hmm, I wonder what will happen, heeheehee." ROTFLMAO

I know who *I* hope it will be!! Who, me?

@ tianrushui

Hmm...I do like Lori's choreography for Mao a lot too!! Love Hearts

But I also thought both Mao's 'Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra' SP and her 'Por Una Cabeza' were BRILLIANT once Mao was able to make them her own. flower To me, as long as TAT and Mao don't pick something too far from her natural style, it helps her grow as an artist... Thumbs up! And Mao seems to really enjoy TAT's choreo. So we shall see..
Back to top Go down
tianrushui
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:25 pm

Yup, I also like'Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra' SP and her 'Por Una Cabeza'. I didn't like 'Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra' at the first sight. But as time goes on, I like it more and more^^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MOACHANTHEBEST
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Butschan, I wonder who you are thinking about for MAO?? scratch
By the way what do all of you think about Swan by Saint Saens for MAo? I know it has been overused and Alissa Cizny used it this year. But for some reasons, I thought it could be great for MAO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:50 pm

MOACHANTHEBEST wrote:

By the way what do all of you think about Swan by Saint Saens for MAo? I know it has been overused and Alissa Cizny used it this year. But for some reasons, I thought it could be great for MAO.

I love this piece of music, but I think that after Johnny, Alissa, Yukari, Kawaguchi/Smirnov and a few other less known skaters I think I need a few years rest from it! Smile I think it's one of the most popular figure skating music recently. Dance
Somebody should skate to Aquarium, though (also from the Carnival of Animals suite)... Yep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 pm

I always thought "A Daisy in December" would be a lovely choice for Mao's SP.

Here's a link to a video of Lacey and Pasha from a previous season of So You Think You Can Dance smooth-waltzing to the tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0X38DPcxNA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:53 pm

MOACHANTHEBEST wrote:
Batsuchan, I wonder who you are thinking about for MAO?? scratch

Hehehe, well, uh, see here!
http://www.maoasadaforum.com/figure-skating-montages-f11/mao-and-takahiko-montage-d-3-t353.htm#5871

But that's just my personal hope. Too sweet!
Above all I want Mao to be happy! flower
Back to top Go down
zooma

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 pm

I don't think Saint-Saens's "Swan" is a good choice. Her SP's of the last two seasons are same kinds of music (graceful and lyrical style) and they didn't work for her. She needs something more cheerful and invigorating. Id like to see a tango piece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao's strategy going forward?   Today at 9:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Mao's strategy going forward?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next