HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Very interesting article - with details on WBC, the Mao/Yu-Na rivalry, and the historical context:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/72402-when-can-we-be-friends/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:43 pm

Batsuchan wrote:
Very interesting article - with details on WBC, the Mao/Yu-Na rivalry, and the historical context:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/72402-when-can-we-be-friends/

I read this article too! It offers an in depth understanding of the rivalry between Korea and Japan. Very Happy

I think this article illustrates important points to explain why Yuna once said in an interview that she is neither friends nor enemies with Mao, but somewhere in between. She said she will probably feel more comfortable to talk to her after she retires from competitive figure skating. The rivalry between the nations add such a political tone to the competitions. Also due to the bad history between Korea and Japan with the invasion and wars...Friendships that can withstand that amount of pressure is rare. This is such a pity, because I think these two girl probably understand each other the most. Both a prodigy, loved by their nation, of the same age, both wants a OGM. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:16 pm

It's an unfortunate issue, and quite frequently the media does nothing to help. I for one would like to take the "forgive and move on" approach - after all, the generation that experienced Treaty on Basic Relations between Japan/Korea and wartime atrocities are long retired, aged, or dead, but it really doesn't help when animosity and hatred are past on to the next generation that haven't experienced the events first-hand. And this can be said to both sides as well - examples including Korea for their anti-Japan political statements (one of the most popular, and easiest way to rally support for politicians) and Japan for the still-persisting prejudice towards Zainichi Koreans.

One can only hope things get better. Sweatdrop

View user profile
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 pm

snowdrops24 wrote:

Friendships that can withstand that amount of pressure is rare. This is such a pity, because I think these two girl probably understand each other the most. Both a prodigy, loved by their nation, of the same age, both wants a OGM. Very Happy

That is really true! I never truly stopped to think about a Mao-Yuna relatinship very much, but I wonder...maybe if the public of their countries would be on good grounds with each other, maybe Mao and Yuna could be best friends.Of course, I have basically no idea about the real personality of either of them, especially Yuna, so I could never say that they would be friends or not, but there is a good chance that they could relate to each other wonderfully. It is unfortunate. D:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
misokatsu

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 pm

It's really nice to hear that in reality, they're good friends. They have a rivalry going on, but it's one that actually motivates the other to do better. I read somewhere it's more like the rivalry Mao has with Mai as sisters who both skate.

I wonder how Mao and Yu-na communicate with each other. A mixture of English/Japanese/Korean? That would be interesting to hear Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:54 pm

Well, since Mao and Yuna both seem to have a fairly good grasp of English (Yuna's better than Mao's), I think they should be able to converse in English the next time they meet!

Seriously, Yuna's English has improved so much this year! I compared an interview from the 2009 Worlds where Yuna spoke English to an English interview from 2008, and Yuna is basically fluent this year! Mao's English is getting better too, though Smile I heard from my Korean friend that most people learn English as a second language in Korea, so maybe that's why Yuna's English is so good?

And since Mao's planning to learn Russian at university, she'll be multi-lingual soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:17 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
Well, since Mao and Yuna both seem to have a fairly good grasp of English (Yuna's better than Mao's), I think they should be able to converse in English the next time they meet!

Oh yes, they regularly talk in English, and hand gestures, and I guess a few Korean and Japanese words. Apparently Yu-Na asked Mao if she knew about Bae Yong-Joon (Korean actor who is super, super popular in Japan). ROTFLMAO

There's the clip from the press conference after 2008 Worlds - gahh, I can't find it now Crying or Very sad - but Yu-Na Kim says something in Korean 'asshippda,' meaning "I could have done better,' but Mao thought she said 'masshittda,' meaning "Delicious," and was confused - and so Yu-Na explained. Oh, it was so cute! Wub

I always had the impression they were pretty good friends, at least up until this season - but some of the more recent comments by Yu-Na, plus all the media hyping them as enemies - perhaps that has made it harder for them to be friends now...? Neutral
Back to top Go down
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:52 am

Batsuchan wrote:
There's the clip from the press conference after 2008 Worlds - gahh, I can't find it now Crying or Very sad - but Yu-Na Kim says something in Korean 'asshippda,' meaning "I could have done better,' but Mao thought she said 'masshittda,' meaning "Delicious," and was confused - and so Yu-Na explained. Oh, it was so cute! Wub

Oh, you musn't tantalise me so! That's just too good a clip not to be seen! Does ANYONE know where the clip can be found?

It's tidbits like these that remind you that Mao and Yuna are teenagers (almost the same age) who talk about film stars and have language misunderstandings just like the rest of us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Himej

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:24 am

I think it's such a pity that there is so rivalry between Mao-fans and Yuna-fans. Personally, I admire Yuna too Smile
Being a Mao fan does not mean, you must hate her rivals. Especially since Yuna and Mao get along quite well, there is no reason for hostility between Yuna-fans and Mao-fans.
I admire their ability to be open for friendship to one another although they are always in competitive positions.
I sincerely hope that political and historical conflicts should stop influence things like sports.
I believe that Mao and Yuna could be even better friends if the public would allow it too v_____v
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for posting. That helped clarify some of my confusion regarding the "rivalry", which really is more about the countries of origin than the girls themselves. I remember being completely confused when my (Korean) mom said, "Korea just lost to Japan in baseball, so now the Koreans are saying Yu-Na has to beat Mao at Worlds to get back at Japan!" I was completely stupefied. My response was, "What does baseball have to do with figure skating? How are they related at ALL?" That didn't go over too well. My mom then asked, "Why do you like the Japanese girl and not the Korean girl?" as if I was being a kind of traitor in rooting for a Japanese person over a Korean one. My response was that I'm going to cheer for and support the skater I connect with, the skater who emotionally touches me when she skates and is so unbelievable that I can't help standing up and cheering when she's done, regardless of her race or home country. I said that home countries don't MATTER- it's how each individual skates and how you connect with each one on an emotional and/or personal level, rather than rooting for them because they happen to come from the same country you did. My mom didn't really understand what I was saying, and I didn't really understand what she was saying, but that article definitely cleared up a lot for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:52 pm

bellarina wrote:
That didn't go over too well. My mom then asked, "Why do you like the Japanese girl and not the Korean girl?" as if I was being a kind of traitor in rooting for a Japanese person over a Korean one. My response was that I'm going to cheer for and support the skater I connect with, the skater who emotionally touches me when she skates and is so unbelievable that I can't help standing up and cheering when she's done, regardless of her race or home country.

My mom asked me the same thing, "How come you like the Japanese girl and not the Korean girl?," because recently I've been more into the Korean stars than the Japanese ones. The answer I gave, "BECAUSE SHE'S CUTER! (And better!)."

Mostly though, my family doesn't understand why I don't root for the Americans, but I like rooting for who I want to root for and it doesn't matter what country they're from!
Back to top Go down
maochanganbare

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:17 pm

I have been watching figure skete for many years but these recent incidents are quite unfortunate...

Last edited by maochanganbare on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:59 pm

It's a shame how some Japanese and Koreans hold onto this old, bitter hatered for eachother. When one thinks of figure skating fans, you think of sofisticated, tasteful people. You would never guess that figure skating fans could be so mean, and petty (especially on youtube, my God!).

This really has to stop, especially when it comes to something like Yuna and Mao. Two young girls who like to figure skate should have nothing to do with national rivalries. Many countries haven't been the best of friends throughout the years, but figure skating fans have usually left their nation's political differences on the sidelines, and been respectful, and even been fans of eachother.

Yuna and Mao are not nationalists, they had no part in what happened in WWII, nor have they ever had anything to do with governement or politics. They don't hate eachother, so I don't see why the fans have to show so much hatered.

Sooner or later, I hope they figure out that they will never get anywhere out of hating eachother. Nowhere good anyway. They must forgive eachother, and learn to be peaceful again. There's no reason to hold onto these old grudges.

I really hope Yuna and Mao fans lay off eachother, and eachothers skaters someday. The things they say to eachother are so immature, and stupid, and they aren't going to get them anywhere, but an even darker place than they started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Star85 wrote:
It's a shame how some Japanese and Koreans hold onto this old, bitter hatered for eachother. When one thinks of figure skating fans, you think of sofisticated, tasteful people. You would never guess that figure skating fans could be so mean, and petty (especially on youtube, my God!).

This really has to stop, especially when it comes to something like Yuna and Mao. Two young girls who like to figure skate should have nothing to do with national rivalries. Many countries haven't been the best of friends throughout the years, but figure skating fans have usually left their nation's political differences on the sidelines, and been respectful, and even been fans of eachother.

Yuna and Mao are not nationalists, they had no part in what happened in WWII, nor have they ever had anything to do with governement or politics. They don't hate eachother, so I don't see why the fans have to show so much hatered.

Sooner or later, I hope they figure out that they will never get anywhere out of hating eachother. Nowhere good anyway. They must forgive eachother, and learn to be peaceful again. There's no reason to hold onto these old grudges.

I really hope Yuna and Mao fans lay off eachother, and eachothers skaters someday. The things they say to eachother are so immature, and stupid, and they aren't going to get them anywhere, but an even darker place than they started.

Well said, Star85. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:40 pm

Star85 wrote:

Well, my guess is that they're not really figure skating fans; they're just using Mao and Yu-Na to support their nationalistic agendas.

I think it's very unfortunate that this friendly figure skating rivalry has to be conflagrated in these very nationalistic terms, but I don't see the East Asian tensions resolving themselves any time soon.

But I do find some hope in the way that the younger generations have embraced the others' pop cultures. Korean TV dramas and actors/actresses are popular all throughout Asia, and the pop/rock stars are too. And now they're starting to have a lot of collaborative projects...for example, my favorite Korean actor, So Ji-sub, is going to be in a movie with Zhang Zi-Yi, and there have been tons of Japanese/Korean drama collaborations...

Can you imagine what would happen many, many years from now, if Mao and Yu-Na had joint ice shows together??? That would undoubtedly be insanely, ridiculously popular throughout Asia!
Back to top Go down
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:00 am

Batsuchan wrote:
Star85 wrote:

Well, my guess is that they're not really figure skating fans; they're just using Mao and Yu-Na to support their nationalistic agendas.

That's actually a very accurate guess. I know for a fact that many Korean Yuna fans are only fans of Yuna, and not so much fans of figure skating. I don't know if this is the case for any Mao fans, but I'm guessing it's probably not (not for many anyway), because figure skating was much more popular in Japan, even before Mao came along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports   

Back to top Go down

Article about Japan-Korea rivalry in sports
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1