HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
avatar

Posts : 815
Join date : 2009-02-21
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:20 pm

I think with TAT her costumes are either hit or miss Suspect

I definitely think she should try to avoid the extremely fancy necklines she is fond of... xD
I would love to see Mao in just a simple, white dress with a little lace and lots of sparkles for the SP Too sweet! Something elegant and ballgown-esque but not loaded down with frills.
And maybe a black and silver (or even just silver O:) Bells counterpart to this dress. I pictured Mao wearing something reminiscent of the Victorian era when I heard this song.

Hehe...I could go on and on with dress ideas... Unconscious flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 527
Join date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:52 am

New Wieder clip of Mao (It's about the making of her new Wieder Commercial)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDTtkuinSf8

*Ahem*, I think an extension of the the top that she's wearing in the commercial (with a tighter bodice and added sequins) will already make a great SP dress. *hint hint* to Team Mao. Cool Boogie

Anyhoooo... Laugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1810
Join date : 2009-05-07
Location : la-la-land

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:35 am

Thanks for sharing snowdrops24! Mao is so pretty! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
sky



Posts : 48
Join date : 2009-02-18
Location : Japan

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:37 pm

Today's Japanese newspaper (Sankei news) :

Mao said, at the interview, she would like to know how score she could get if she skates SP and FS perfectly.



http://number.bunshun.jp/other/figure/column/view/4237/page:1

At NumberWeb, the airticle (page 3) says that Mao might change the SP's number to...

Caprice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
avatar

Posts : 994
Join date : 2007-09-22
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 am

OMG! affraid

I don't have enough time to translate the whole thing, but it's a great article.

What I liked the most: Actually, this year's exhibition [Paganini's Caprice] was created as a possible SP. And there is a possibility that Mao will switch to Caprice before Olympics! Dance Confetti Cheering

I hope TAT allows Mao to switch to Caprice! Worship

Now, Fantasie Impromptu II or Polovtsian Dances for LP... Too sweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sumin

avatar

Posts : 47
Join date : 2009-10-05
Location : Suwon, South Korea

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 am

Is it really possible to change programs? If it is what EX at the Olympics will be Question Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
josling
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 518
Join date : 2009-01-08
Location : Germany (NRW)

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 am

OMG, OMG, OMG ! affraid WOW! Happy dance

Thank you! for these fantastic news, sky and Okami !!! Worship

Please TAT, let Mao switch to Caprice ! It would be perfect! Thumbs up!

Dance
Oh, that information made my day !!! Cloud 9 Love Hearts

Quote :
If it is what EX at the Olympics will be Question

I think she could go back to the tango...or maybe we could see 'sing sing sing' again ?! Or a new EX !? Very Happy Woot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 592
Join date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:47 am

Okami wrote:

Now, Fantasie Impromptu II or Polovtsian Dances for LP... Too sweet!
Just please, please leave the current LP where it is right now. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1810
Join date : 2009-05-07
Location : la-la-land

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:03 am

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091017&content_id=7480284&vkey=ice_news

Quote :
Asada's music, Rachmaninov's "Bells of Moscow," is so heavy-handed that it rings in the ear well after the last note is struck. The skater explained that this was intent of her coach and choreographer.

"This season I had two choices of music," she explained. "One was light, bright and happy, and this one was very heavy and powerful.

"I tried this music and I felt very powerful and strong. I tried the other one and it was too light. I decided this heavy music maybe suits me, and also Tatiana Tarasova likes this music."

So does this mean Bells was really her choice? I wonder what that light music is? But like summervie I want her to keep bells...

If she changes her SP to Caprice that will be awesome! pls, pls, pls....

If she keeps Masquerade, though, I hope she changes the arrangement to the light and cheerful flute version like the one Okami shared before. I think it could work really well.

hmm... if Mao gets into the final do you think we'll see a new SP there? She has a month to prepare...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
avatar

Posts : 994
Join date : 2007-09-22
Age : 32

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am

sumin wrote:
Is it really possible to change programs?
After reading this article (and the previous ones where Mao's SPs were mentioned) I got a feeling that Caprice was choreographed as a SP at first, then re-choreographed as an EX. SO I'd say yes, it's very possible.

Shizuka's Olympic programs were both re-choreographed from her older programs and she debuted the new versions at Olympics. Didn't hurt her any. Love Hearts


Quote :
If it is what EX at the Olympics will be Question Rolling Eyes

I think that's the smallest problem. Mao was able to memorize new choreo for her pair numbers with Mai and Jeff in a matter of hours. She could easily get a new EX. Or go back to Tango/Sing,sing,sing/Nocturne... Wub

roma wrote:
So does this mean Bells was really her choice? I wonder what that light music is?

I think it was sort of a combined decision... As Mao said in the interview posted on YT, she initially found the music too dull, so I doubt she picked it right away. I got a feeling that they started going through choreo of both of the programs, and TAT suggested that Mao looks too weak skating to that other "light" music... And Mao learned to appreciate Bells and agreed to use it, because it made her feel stronger.

I made a short summary of the article where Mao said that she considers switching to Caprice:

Summary wrote:
Mao confirms that this year's exhibition [Paganini's Caprice] was created as a possible SP. And there is a possibility that Mao will switch to Caprice before Olympics!

The article starts with mentioning that Nobunari Oda won the competition in Paris with a smile. The skater who had cried because of receiving low PCS skated a program that fully utilized his expressive personality and his PCS soared as a result. He ended up defeating the reigning European Champion and former World Campion.
Then the author mentioned that Mao lost, because at that point she could not win. In contrast to Nobunari's program, Mao's music does not take advantage of her natural charm. Mao's music was suggested by her coach, and feels too heavy and dark.

It is mentioned that Mao chose her current music in a hope that it will give her more strenght and fighting spirit. Another music for Mao's LP was discarded because Mao feared that it will make her look too weak. But then the author adds that she believes that this is not Mao's true power.

[Short mention of Mao's growth as a skater since the last Olympics...]

Then the author states that she believes that the key to high score is expressing the joy of skating. Again she mentions that Nobunari's "Chaplin" and YuNa's "Bond Girl" show how important is the music selection and choreography. The judges no longer look just for technical elements. They want to see complete programs that show the joy of skating. She adds that in order to compete with YuNa, who is way ahead at this point, Mao needs to rediscover the joy of skating. Smile

I probably messed up the summary, because I'm not sure how to translate that "joy of skating" thing. Embarassed The author didn't necessarily meant that all the programs have to be fun, just that it's important to show one's personality and not struggle with the program. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 3137
Join date : 2008-10-16
Age : 28
Location : Russia,Spb

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:14 am

I think that originally Tat and Mao were making caprice as a sp but it wasn't ready yet and they decided to skate to Masquerade at TEB. And also that's why Mao was skating to caprice at Ex, may be to feel more comfortable with it. Also I have a clue that she won't do two triple axels , because I heard she's practicing her 2a-3t combo , so may be we'll see this combo soon. I'm waiting for the answer though about the ral situation so as soon as i get it I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dangerous_angel_face
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 230
Join date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:38 am

I like Masquerade and thinks it works well as a sp, but I REALLY wish she'll switch to Caprices. Caprices is perfect, it's both Mao-rashii and at the same time it shows a different side of Mao we haven't seen before. I think this fun, dynamic program will be a good contrast to Bell. I like both Masquerade and Bell, but using the two of them for the same competition? It's a little overwhelming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2009-07-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:41 am

[quote="Okami"]
sumin wrote:
Summary wrote:
Mao confirms that this year's exhibition [Paganini's Caprice] was created as a possible SP. And there is a possibility that Mao will switch to Caprice before Olympics!

The article starts with mentioning that Nobunari Oda won the competition in Paris with a smile. The skater who had cried because of receiving low PCS skated a program that fully utilized his expressive personality and his PCS soared as a result. He ended up defeating the reigning European Champion and former World Campion.
Then the author mentioned that Mao lost, because at that point she could not win. In contrast to Nobunari's program, Mao's music does not take advantage of her natural charm. Mao's music was suggested by her coach, and feels too heavy and dark.

It is mentioned that Mao chose her current music in a hope that it will give her more strenght and fighting spirit. Another music for Mao's LP was discarded because Mao feared that it will make her look too weak. But then the author adds that she believes that this is not Mao's true power.

[Short mention of Mao's growth as a skater since the last Olympics...]

Then the author states that she believes that the key to high score is expressing the joy of skating. Again she mentions that Nobunari's "Chaplin" and YuNa's "Bond Girl" show how important is the music selection and choreography. The judges no longer look just for technical elements. They want to see complete programs that show the joy of skating. She adds that in order to compete with YuNa, who is way ahead at this point, Mao needs to rediscover the joy of skating. Smile

I probably messed up the summary, because I'm not sure how to translate that "joy of skating" thing. Embarassed The author didn't necessarily meant that all the programs have to be fun, just that it's important to show one's personality and not struggle with the program. Sweatdrop

Thank you, Okami, for that wonderful article and your wonderful translation! flower

This has given me SO much hope, and I think if I would wake up one morning and go online to hear that she changed her SP to Caprice, I would cry out of happiness! Bawling

I just hope she changes to Caprice right after this next competion, and BEFORE the GPF, Japanese Nationals, and of course, the Olympics. I think it would be good for her to debut that program before the Olys so she could get some feedback on it.

Like Okami said, she could learn the new choreography easily, especially since it was originally her SP anyways. Ohhhh I'm so excited about this!!! Confetti
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 527
Join date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:51 am

sky wrote:
Today's Japanese newspaper (Sankei news) :

Mao said, at the interview, she would like to know how score she could get if she skates SP and FS perfectly.

http://number.bunshun.jp/other/figure/column/view/4237/page:1

At NumberWeb, the airticle (page 3) says that Mao might change the SP's number to...

Caprice!

Thanks for bringing us fresh news about Mao, sky! flower

Thanks for the summary of the article about Mao, Okami! Too sweet! I wish I could help out translating news of Mao and make myself more useful on this forum, but my Japanese is v. elementary... Unconscious

Quote :
I think that originally Tat and Mao were making caprice as a sp but it wasn't ready yet and they decided to skate to Masquerade at TEB.

Wow, thanks for the info. polosatik! I wouldn't have notice that the program wasn't ready. It seemed so well trained. Though I admit that Mao was a bit behind the music because the transitions and steps were so complicated. ALL FOR CAPRICE as Mao's SPPPP !!!!!!!!!


Quote :
Also I have a clue that she won't do two triple axels , because I heard she's practicing her 2a-3t combo , so may be we'll see this combo soon.

I do hope that this is true because on icenetwork.com (Thanks roma for the article!), Mao said,

Quote :
"This season my goal is to do three triple Axels at each competition," Asada said. "At this competition I could succeed with one triple Axel, this was a first step, but the next competition for sure I would like to succeed with a triple Axel in the short program."

It is fairly evident that it is Mao who wants the 3As in her programs and I'd say, "why not?" As much as 3-3s were Yuna's trademark, the 3A was Mao's and she wants to keep that part of herself alive.

HOWEVER, I have to disagree with Mao putting that aspect of skating as one of her goals this season. IMHO, it should be her least concern. I would rather have Mao skate to a program without downgrades instead.

Moreover, Mao rarely executes a back-up jump layout. In past competitions, even if she misses an important jump combo, she doesn't add an additional triple jump later to make up for the lost points. That makes the 3-3A-idea even more detrimental. One 3A (or even One 3A-2T combination) is great already.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 663
Join date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:43 pm

I really wish she changed it before GPF. I really Caprice and think she would be able to score higher with this~~~!!!


Ganbate mao!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel
avatar

Posts : 815
Join date : 2009-02-21
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Caprice...as an SP? Shocked
Do my ears deceive me?

I sense a miracle on the horizon... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chiyori
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1035
Join date : 2008-11-18
Age : 32
Location : Montreal, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Worship I thought I was dreaming when I read that! I was leering at Caprice since she performed it at The Ice but since Mao has never changed her programs during a season even though she struggled with them, I thought it would stay just that; a dream... But now Swoon ! It might come true. This would be absolutely fantastic. Cloud 9
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1726
Join date : 2008-11-05
Age : 33
Location : On the T-M ship!

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Thank you, thank you so much sky for posting that article, and thanks to Okami for the translation!

But I thought the article was TOO good not to translate fully, so here it is. Very Happy
http://number.bunshun.jp/other/figure/column/view/4237/page:1

What was seen at the first competition of the Grand Prix Series: the difficulty of Mao Asada’s “search for herself”

text by Akiko Tamura
photograph by Takuya Sugiyama

“It was unfortunate that I was not able to put in the quad, but other than that, I’m generally satisfied.”

Nobunari Oda, the winner at the Trophee Eric Bompard (first GP event) held in Paris’ Bercy arena, said this with a smile.

During the SP (short program) on the previous day, Oda cried bitter tears when he was unable to get 7s in all the five components [PCS] that evaluate musical expression, etc. However, his new free program “Chaplin” became a program that allowed the expression-filled Oda to express his personality to his heart’s content, and he received 7s in all five components with no difficulty. He defeated veterans like former World Champion Brian Joubert and European Champion Tomas Verner to capture a magnificent win.

On the other hand, in the ladies’ competition, Mao Asada finished 2nd and Yukari Nakano 3rd. The participating Japanese skaters all won medals, so it was a good showing for Team Japan, but there was one thing that was not resolved.

Is Mao Asada really skating “with enjoyment”?

The reason is not because Mao Asada was unable to win.

It’s because compared to Oda, who skated in a lively fashion to a program that matched him, I couldn’t see Mao Asada’s new program as bringing out her true flavor/self.

Her SP is an arrangement of last year’s free program, “Masquerade Waltz.”

“I did want to skate to a new song, but Tarasova-sensei recommended using ‘Masquerade Waltz’ again because I had firmly made it my own.”

And her free program is Rachmaninoff’s “Bells of Moscow.” Both the short and free are melodies in minor keys, and they are not songs that you skate to enjoyably, with a smile.

“Your free program music has a heavy and dark feeling…”

At the press conference an American journalist asked this.

“The truth is, I had to choose between a much brighter and happier song and this heavy song. When I first started skating to this song, I felt like it gave me power. After that, when I skated to the other song, it felt a little light, and I thought I might feel weak, and in addition, Tarasova-sensei recommended [‘Bells’].”

That is how Asada answered.

For a long while, Coach Tatiana Tarasova had chosen “Bells of Moscow” as the important ‘Victory song’ for the Olympics.

Mao Asada’s true ability is not supposed to be like this

The elements of her program were not bad. She completed the triple axel combo that she messed up in the short, and even though she received numerous downgrades, overall, she skated without major problems and received a total of 173.99 points. It was far removed from her personal best of 201.87, but overall, she saved face with 2nd place. But Mao Asada’s real ability is not supposed to be like this.


She has grown into an adult skater; it’s the time to advance to the next steps psychologically

Mao Asada debuted on the senior Grand Prix circuit four years ago. In the season when she was too young to go to the Torino Olympics, the Asada who had just turned 15 cheerfully performed a lovely “Carmen” at this very same venue, and with a score of 182.42, she defeated Olympic gold medal contenders Sasha Cohen and Shizuka Arakawa to win.

“These four years passed in a flash. Four years ago, I didn’t really know what kind of competition it was, and I just went out there the same way I did when I went to the international competitions as a child.”

That Mao who was speaking before my eyes is no longer the young girl who knew nothing of fear. She had grown into an adult skater who has won World titles and learned how to skate while battling pressure.

But as a skater, I saw her as searching for herself and wavering. For her short and her free program, she respected the choices of her coach, but it seemed like she was trying with all her might to reassure herself.

But is this really what she wanted to perform?

“Skating while having fun” is the one and only key to earning a high score

Yu-Na Kim won with a record high score of 210.03. At this competition, Kim performed her “007” SP and her Gershwin “Piano Concerto” free program. It seemed like Kim was actually skating while having fun as the coquettish Bond Girl or the glamorous Gershwin. This “skating while having fun” is really a tactic to win high component scores. Even if you skate with the same elements, if you are able to skate while having fun, your body moves more easily, and it seems more effortless. The judges generously awarded Kim with component scores in the 8s.

Like Oda’s “Chaplin” and Yu-Na’s “007”, the power of having a program that you can enjoy is invaluable for a figure skater. For a skater with even more ability, music selection and choreography is so important that you can say the program will determine victory or defeat.

The cheerful and gorgeous exhibition skating may show her true self…

Asada herself knows that well.

“The truth is, this season’s exhibition, Paganini’s “Caprice No. 24” was a program we created thinking it could be used for the SP. That’s why, just hypothetically speaking, in the middle of the season I may change it to my SP.”

To the Paganini song in her exhibition, Asada skates cheerfully and gorgeously, like a completely different person from the competition. She, who skates while dancing coquettishly with a fan in her hand, was in her element, charming and full of life. However, the decision to use it or not in competition has to come from her. Because only she herself can know if she can truly enjoy it.

As for the 35 point difference between Kim and Asada: if the Olympics were next week, then she would have no chance of winning. But, there isn’t a big difference between these two skaters’ natural abilities. In truth, until last year, they were equally matched rivals who won and lost evenly. The reason that Yu-Na is one step ahead now, is because she is proceeding well in “finding herself” as a skater.

What Mao Asada needs to do is rediscover that self that innocently enjoyed skating like she did 4 years ago. If she does that, then
results will come naturally. She undoubtedly has that kind of ability.

***********
I completely 100% agree with article. It’s like she took the words out of my mouth!! Mao needs to find Mao again!

I only have one small point of disagreement: I have absolutely no problem with minor keys. (Actually I have a natural bias toward them.) Let us remind the author that ‘Fantasy for Violin & Orchestra’ was definitely in a minor key, while ‘Fantaisie-Impromptu’ was in (yep!) C-sharp minor!!

I agree with summervie and others that it will be difficult for Mao Asada to just relax and have fun when she’s so focused on winning that gold medal, but maybe she won’t be. Maybe she’ll have convinced herself that Vancouver is Yu-Na’s to win and that it’s all about Sochi for her. So that when she goes out next February totally excited to be at the Olympics, she delivers two lovely, joyful, Mao-like performances and totally, unexpectedly skates away with the gold, just like she did at 2005 GPF!

Let’s face it, no one has a more charming, disarming smile than Mao Asada. All of Yu-Na’s dark, dramatic, divaness is no match for the megawatt power of Mao’s beautiful, beaming smile!!

Though realistically, it's probably difficult for Mao to go back to that happy self. I *still* think that Mao can aim for a heartbreakingly beautiful and melancholy song like 'Fantasy for Violin & Orchestra' or 'So Deep is the Night.' She's had a lot of heartbreak over the past few years, a lot of bitter tears. Instead of trying to find music that makes her feel strong, why not bring out all that struggle instead of hiding it deep inside?

Yu-Na Kim might make the audience jump up and cheer, but I think only Mao can leave the audience speechless and in tears. Too much beauty to behold.

So, I wholeheartedly hope that Caprice surfaces as Mao's SP, and I hope that she ditches 'Bells of Moscow' for something that shows that heartbreakingly beautiful Mao (cough, cough, Swan Lake, Schindler's List etc).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
Mirai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 263
Join date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Batsuchan wrote:

Let’s face it, no one has a more charming, disarming smile than Mao Asada. All of Yu-Na’s dark, dramatic, divaness is no match for the megawatt power of Mao’s beautiful, beaming smile!!

...

Yu-Na Kim might make the audience jump up and cheer, but I think only Mao can leave the audience speechless and in tears. Too much beauty to behold.

ITA! Many Hearts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 660
Join date : 2009-03-07
Age : 26
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 am

Thank you for the article, Batsuchan. I'm so glad that Mao may switch to Caprice as the SP.

I have no problem with the Rachmaninoff but will accept whatever music Mao skates to, as long as she is comfortable with it. If she feels that 'The Bells' gives her more power, I'm all for it. If she decides to go for something lighter, I'm all for it. If she decides to skate to rap music and enjoys it, I'm all for it.

In other words, I will go wherever Mao leads Smile

Totally agree with the point that Mao needs to find herself. And it's almost a good thing that that she hasn't found it yet, because now I can look forward to many more years of Mao improving and evolving as a skater.

And your praises for Mao always leave me slightly teary-eyed, but in a good way! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2009-07-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:16 am

Mirai wrote:
Batsuchan wrote:

Let’s face it, no one has a more charming, disarming smile than Mao Asada. All of Yu-Na’s dark, dramatic, divaness is no match for the megawatt power of Mao’s beautiful, beaming smile!!

...

Yu-Na Kim might make the audience jump up and cheer, but I think only Mao can leave the audience speechless and in tears. Too much beauty to behold.

ITA! Many Hearts

I'm an admitted Yuna fan, and generally root for her as much as Mao. But you completely hit the nail on the head with this, imho. Yuna is NOT a skater that brings people to tears, but rather excites the audience. I think the closest she ever got, for me, to being emotionally affecting was her Lark Ascending program.

OTOH, several of Mao's performances have left me feeling very emotional because of her spirit while skating and the innate beauty of her skating. Mao wears her heart on her sleeve, while I feel Yuna is more guarded, and that's why I love Mao. If she gives the performance of her life at the Olys, there will be magic in that arena (and plenty of tears from me! Bawling )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1726
Join date : 2008-11-05
Age : 33
Location : On the T-M ship!

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 pm

Liffey - I hope I get to cry tears of joy too!

Here's an article with a pic of Mao at the airport:
http://vancouver2010.nikkansports.com/figure/news/p-sp-tp0-20091020-557424.html

It confirms that Mao left in the middle of the exhibition and skipped the finale so she could catch a flight to Moscow.

The article also mentions that she's increased her practices from 1.5hrs each (one in the morning, one in the afternoon), to 2hrs each.

And here's another article that mentions that Mao *might* change her SP:
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/091021/spm0910210504001-n1.htm
But she'll see how it goes at CoR and then decide.

(I think she should consider changing the LP too. )
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1675
Join date : 2007-09-18
Age : 25
Location : Quebec city!

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Quote :
http://vancouver2010.nikkansports.com/figure/news/p-sp-tp0-20091020-557424.html
I like Mao's picture Smile !! Haha, she seems to like clothing Razz Abercrombie & Fitch, and Juicy couture, and with her cell phone she looks like a real women haha Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
bekalc



Posts : 35
Join date : 2009-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:28 pm

Quote :

It is fairly evident that it is Mao who wants the 3As in her programs and I'd say, "why not?" As much as 3-3s were Yuna's trademark, the 3A was Mao's and she wants to keep that part of herself alive.

You cannot compare the two situations because Yu-na is rock solid consistent with her 3/3s in competition. She's missed a 3/3 only twice as a Senior. If Mao had that kind of consistency rate with her 3axels everyone would be saying YES Mao go for the 3axel as much as you want....

I'm wondering what happened with Mao's 3/3s....Because really that's what she should be working on along with her 3axel. If the 3/3s aren't going well in practice then she may have no choice I guess but to bet on the 3axel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snowdrops24
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 527
Join date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi, bekalc! flower

(well, i guess i can only blame myself for putting Mao's 3A and Yuna 3-3 in the same sentence because in my experience, the argument of consistency is always bound to follow... Neutral ) - which is not my intention.

I think you've misunderstood my post. Smile I was not referring to the two skaters' ability to land their difficult jump combinations. I was only suggesting that the 3A and the 3-3s are part of Mao's and Yuna's skating style respectively. Sweatdrop They are one of the attributes that we often immediately associate them with in terms of skating.

The 3A is one the things that makes Mao's programs unique and different. In her senior years, Mao had included at least one 3A in her FS programs at ISU competitions(with the exception of Skate Canada 2007). I'm just saying, it's her "style" to go for the 3A. The 3-3 is also a highlight and a trademark of Yuna's programs as well. IMHO, it is also one of the elements that makes her skating so unique and sets her skating apart from the others. Cloud 9 The above is the basis on which I draw a comparison.

And this is why I'm all for Mao to continue go for the 3A but just hopefully not for 2 in the FS. This is the main idea that I hope to get across.

About the consistency part: I understand your point about how Yuna's rock solid and I agree. Very Happy

I was just about to end my post, but I realized that I *might* have misunderstood your post as well! Is it possible that you are suggesting that the 3A is NOT Mao's trademark as a skater because of her inconsistency to land them as opposed to Yuna's ability to land them? Razz If it is...that's an entirely different story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!   

Back to top Go down
 
Mao news - 2009-10 Olympic season!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Transfers for 2009 - 2010 season
» Athletics Victoria's & Queensland's biggest clubs
» The Newcastle United 'Let's have a repeat of the 2009/10 season' Thread
» What is your most favorite program 2009-2010 season?
» NASCAR News/Silly Season Thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ballerina on Ice :: Figure Skating :: Mao Chat-
Jump to: