HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Feeling pressure, having fun

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Feeling pressure, having fun   Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:37 am

Decided to start a new topic. The original quote goes from the "Team Japan GP series press conference" thread.
Batsuchan wrote:

Personally I think Mao needs to learn from Daisuke and think first and foremost about enjoying!
It's an utopia. Daisuke's been missing skating and now he's going to enjoy it again, everything else is just words. Try to recall him at the last two Worlds. He was far from having fun there. study
It's like to wish (I guess I already gave this example once) for some soldier not to think about death, survial, all the atrocities of war - but just to fight. To take it easy. (Well, an australian soldier could even take a surfing board to fight along with himself - that's why it's never a good idea to be an australian soldier, as a matter of fact. Yep, Sadly) This way it might be not so difficult. Rolling Eyes
Unless you're some enlightened buddhist monk who lives in a wooden barrel - again - it's an utopia. Do you think Plush will be 'enjoying' himself at the Olympics? Being the reigning monarch of the state, having a huge experience and trademark Soviet-old-school nerves, I think he, in the best case, just won't be dying from nervousness. He's made some big effort to come back, there are hopes of various people put on him, and the olympic gold is at stake.
As for "fun", it maight be the case for some starlet from, let's say, Uzbekistan at the beginning of her skating career, for whom Olympics would be a Wonderful Journey, and who'd look at some Bebe Liang with such O_O eyes and faint three times in a row in the vicinity of Mao. Smile But hardly in some other case. At least nothing around the top tier skaters with hopes for anything big.

~~~
Mao was born to win the Olympics. She's the perfect athlete, the most talented female skater in the history, maybe even the reason for this sport to exist at all (if there any reason like that ever ought to been found Smile). She's been going this way from the very beginning, every single step - towars those several minutes of the long and short programs at the Olympics. Four years ago it happened to be a bit too early, four years later it may be too late. The hopes of her whole country and multiple people around the world will be put on her, and what is much more important - her own ones. Those minutes will be the culmination of her sport life... So I really wouldn't expect anything close to "enjoying" or "having fun" from her out there. Rather, I hope Mao and her team will manage to find a way for her not to start feeling so tired from the pressure at some point, that she'd only wish for everything to end - with whatever result. Which would be an absolutely natural reaction in that situation.

And once again, one of the many reasons I wish so much for Mao to win the Games is that, unlike some other skaters, she's not going to retire after her possible win (which fact is quite unique by itself, isn't it?), and having her unmatched gift and without any weight of (unfulfilled) expectations on her skates she might really enjoy her skating during the next four years. And then, being free like that, maybe to do some things even the most die-hard fans can't dare to dream about right now. Yep!

Last edited by summervie on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Olive

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:04 am

I agree with you, Summervie. Olympics is not about "having fun". But, somehow, I agree with Batsuchan also. You can`t take it easy, if you are a top skater, but it`s really good to enjoy it and not to think like: "It`s Olympics. I wanted to win it all my life and it`s the only chance for me. These 4,5 minutes are the most important minutes of my whole life." Maybe for someone it will work, but not for Mao, in my opinion. Imagine, you think in that way about the Olympics every single day of your life, you know that this competition is the only one that matters in your life, I think you will be extremely nervous and scary when it comes and you will be standing on the ice and feel that the next four minutes will change your life completely. I suppose it will be good for Mao if she can really enjoy the experience and think about the performance trying to do her best instead of thinking only about winning and the importance of this gold medal. It must be good experience for her no matter what. And it will be really good if she can enjoy every single moment of it. And she must understands that not winning the Olympics will not ruin her life, it`s not about "win or die" and there are some skaters who never won the olympics but their names will be never forgotten and there are some who won but... you know... their names will not make the list: "the best figure skaters in history". I want Mao to be calm and confident going to the Olympics, I want her to enjoy these minutes of her performances, I want her to feel the atmosphere, I want her to feel that the most important is to achieve her own goals and winning is up to destiny, judges, maybe even politics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:50 am

Olive wrote:
I agree with you, Summervie. Olympics is not about "having fun". But, somehow, I agree with Batsuchan also. You can`t take it easy, if you are a top skater, but it`s really good to enjoy it and not to think like: "It`s Olympics. I wanted to win it all my life and it`s the only chance for me. These 4,5 minutes are the most important minutes of my whole life." Maybe for someone it will work, but not for Mao, in my opinion. Imagine, you think in that way about the Olympics every single day of your life, you know that this competition is the only one that matters in your life, I think you will be extremely nervous and scary when it comes and you will be standing on the ice and feel that the next four minutes will change your life completely. I suppose it will be good for Mao if she can really enjoy the experience and think about the performance trying to do her best instead of thinking only about winning and the importance of this gold medal. It must be good experience for her no matter what. And it will be really good if she can enjoy every single moment of it. And she must understands that not winning the Olympics will not ruin her life, it`s not about "win or die" and there are some skaters who never won the olympics but their names will be never forgotten and there are some who won but... you know... their names will not make the list: "the best figure skaters in history". I want Mao to be calm and confident going to the Olympics, I want her to enjoy these minutes of her performances, I want her to feel the atmosphere, I want her to feel that the most important is to achieve her own goals and winning is up to destiny, judges, maybe even politics.
Yes, of course it would be great if she could be/feel like that. The question is: whether it is really possible. For Mao to forget during those 3-4 minutes that the sense of her (sport) life is that medal. Otherwise she won't be able to enjoy it, I'm afraid.
Yes, there's this romantic scenarion: Mao (or, well, some other skater) comes out for that the most decisive skate and delivers the perfomance of her life. Standing ovation, speachless Dick Button, the commentators of the Russian Eurosport are crying ("тут мы обнялись и заплакали" ^_^)... It is possible of course, this kind of an epic skate, but I think only due to some absolute, utter, devastating concentration. Which I hope Mao and TAT (but in the first place Mao herself) will be able to achieve somehow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:35 am

Yuka Sato was commenting at Turin in 2006 and she said something really interesting.

"Many athletes sometimes say that they want to enjoy Olympics but only one who succeeds to show your perfection can enjoy it. Enjoyment is not just having fun. By showing what you have been through and being able to do that, you can be moved by yourself and truly enjoy the Olympics for the first time."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:38 pm

coconut wrote:
Yuka Sato was commenting at Turin in 2006 and she said something really interesting.

"Many athletes sometimes say that they want to enjoy Olympics but only one who succeeds to show your perfection can enjoy it. Enjoyment is not just having fun. By showing what you have been through and being able to do that, you can be moved by yourself and truly enjoy the Olympics for the first time."

This is an amazing quote from Yuka. Thumbs up! Thank you for sharing this, Coconut!

I truly hope Mao can achieve this in Vancouver. Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Liffey wrote:

This is an amazing quote from Yuka. Thank you for sharing this, Coconut!

I truly hope Mao can achieve this in Vancouver.

I agree, thank you for that quote, coconut! flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
summervie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:02 pm

coconut wrote:

Basically, what Yuka Sato says here is that Olympics isn't the place for enjoyment (in the meaning of "having fun") as some skaters suppose.
Be perfect and achieve your goals despite everything - then will come the time to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeling pressure, having fun   

Back to top Go down

Feeling pressure, having fun
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1