HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip


Posts : 342
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:12 pm

everyone i am done! done defending my opinions. i am just here to enjoy the chit chat from now on. instead of snipping here and there i am just going to see what unfolds. im done speculating and everyone is right.. we all have no control over mao and her decisions.

peace out. time for dinner now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2009-07-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:13 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
Liffey wrote:
My problem with this music is that it's not meant to be structured that way; instead they edited it to repeat a few sections over and over and over again, which is not in line with the orginial composition; it's not layered vertically, it's supposed to be a linear construction. So I really don't think you should be offended by someone you "think" is criticizing Rach, when they're not, because what Mao's skating to is NOT the original composition.

I guess you speak for dlnnyc on this forum as well as for yourself, yes? Because the language of "funereal dirges" doesn't leave much for interpretation. Yes, the music Mao is skating to isn't Rachmaninoff's original arrangment and yes, the middle section would have added some contrast, but the orchestral version adds presence and atmosphere whereas the piano version, on the contrary, would have seemed "flat" on the ice.

And please. If I don't react to what I "think", what am I supposed to react to? Everyone that posts on this forum replies to what they "think" another member is saying. If I could telepathically uncover other posters' intentions, there wouldn't be a need for an online forum.

I speak for myself, which is what I should be doing. You, on the other hand, should perhaps consult dlnnyc on what was actually intended through "funereal dirges" before criticizing me for reacting, quite appropriately, to what I "think".

My point was that dlnnyc was talking about Mao's music, not Rach himself (unless they mentioned it somewhere and I missed it), and since her verion of Bells is not the original composition, I couldn't really understand why you thought she was criticizing Rach. If she had said "Oh, I hate Rach, his music is like a funeral" I could have understood your reaction more.

Alternatively, if you would have said something like, "I don't like that you are saying that Mao's music is like a funeral," I wouldn't have said anything. It was just your comment about Rach.

Obviously, I really hit a nerve though. My apologies. Everyone seems really sensitive around here lately, so maybe I'll just excuse myself and wait for everyone to calm down. Sorry again. pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 660
Join date : 2009-03-07
Age : 27
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:25 pm

@Liffey - I think I'll stop the discussion about the respective merits and shortcomings of Rachmaninoff here, because everyone has their own opinions towards his music so it would be unfair for me to comment either way. So, let's just set old Rach aside, shall we?

You're right. Everyone does seem very sensitive lately, including myself. And I'm sorry if I displaced my anger at some individuals onto you. It's really hard to keep track of who's who on the forum when you can't see their faces. After a while, you just start attacking anyone who seems to have a different opinion to you. I apologise for this.

Mao comes in 5th place and tensions boil. Angry words start flying and pretty soon, I start yelling at people over the internet. It's wrong and an ineffective way to conduct conversation. It's also bad manners on my part.

I apologise, and look forward to conducting more civil conversations with you over the forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2009-07-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:55 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
@Liffey - I think I'll stop the discussion about the respective merits and shortcomings of Rachmaninoff here, because everyone has their own opinions towards his music so it would be unfair for me to comment either way. So, let's just set old Rach aside, shall we?

You're right. Everyone does seem very sensitive lately, including myself. And I'm sorry if I displaced my anger at some individuals onto you. It's really hard to keep track of who's who on the forum when you can't see their faces. After a while, you just start attacking anyone who seems to have a different opinion to you. I apologise for this.

Mao comes in 5th place and tensions boil. Angry words start flying and pretty soon, I start yelling at people over the internet. It's wrong and an ineffective way to conduct conversation. It's also bad manners on my part.

I apologise, and look forward to conducting more civil conversations with you over the forum Very Happy

It's ok. And just to clarify, I want to emphasize that it was wrong on my part to assume. I just wanted to post something about the differences between the compositions, but you were completely right. I didn't know what exactly that poster was referring to.

I just feel very confused right now. pale I feel like a lot of posters here (NOT YOU) think that if anyone ever says anything critical of Mao, they're not her fan. Sad I snark all the time on FSU about Yuna's lack of extension and pointing toes, her "lazy leg" spirals, and her PCS inflation, but I still love her. I've never really been on a forum where saying anything other than "Skater X is perfect! Everything she does is right! If you say otherwise, you're a traitor!" is becoming the norm. pale

On that note, I do feel that some interesting people have popped up in the past few days to stir things up here. Most of us have been here for months or years though (including myself), and even though some of use may question some of Mao's decisions, that doesn't mean that we love her any less. My main concern is her happiness. Even if she does fall down at the Olympics and doesn't win, if she can smile through it all and appreciate her journey, then I will feel happy. I don't care about her results; the only reason I've questioned Mao's strategy is because she does seem really unhappy right now to me. Sorry for the rant everyone. Sad, Lonely

Anyways, thanks again for understanding, chineseteacup, and I apologize again. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan
avatar

Posts : 1197
Join date : 2008-12-10
Age : 32
Location : Limbo

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 pm

Liffey wrote:
chineseteacup wrote:
@Liffey - I think I'll stop the discussion about the respective merits and shortcomings of Rachmaninoff here, because everyone has their own opinions towards his music so it would be unfair for me to comment either way. So, let's just set old Rach aside, shall we?

You're right. Everyone does seem very sensitive lately, including myself. And I'm sorry if I displaced my anger at some individuals onto you. It's really hard to keep track of who's who on the forum when you can't see their faces. After a while, you just start attacking anyone who seems to have a different opinion to you. I apologise for this.

Mao comes in 5th place and tensions boil. Angry words start flying and pretty soon, I start yelling at people over the internet. It's wrong and an ineffective way to conduct conversation. It's also bad manners on my part.

I apologise, and look forward to conducting more civil conversations with you over the forum Very Happy

It's ok. And just to clarify, I want to emphasize that it was wrong on my part to assume. I just wanted to post something about the differences between the compositions, but you were completely right. I didn't know what exactly that poster was referring to.

I just feel very confused right now. pale I feel like a lot of posters here (NOT YOU) think that if anyone ever says anything critical of Mao, they're not her fan. Sad I snark all the time on FSU about Yuna's lack of extension and pointing toes, her "lazy leg" spirals, and her PCS inflation, but I still love her. I've never really been on a forum where saying anything other than "Skater X is perfect! Everything she does is right! If you say otherwise, you're a traitor!" is becoming the norm. pale

On that note, I do feel that some interesting people have popped up in the past few days to stir things up here. Most of us have been here for months or years though (including myself), and even though some of use may question some of Mao's decisions, that doesn't mean that we love her any less. My main concern is her happiness. Even if she does fall down at the Olympics and doesn't win, if she can smile through it all and appreciate her journey, then I will feel happy. I don't care about her results; the only reason I've questioned Mao's strategy is because she does seem really unhappy right now to me. Sorry for the rant everyone. Sad, Lonely

Anyways, thanks again for understanding, chineseteacup, and I apologize again. Embarassed

I think most of the people here are pretty understanding, and can tell the difference between a true fan, and someone who's not. We always want to hear the honest opinion, even if it's negative. Just as long as you're polite. And if you really love Mao, you aren't going to be impolite, and just trash her. I have stated negative comments about Mao, but it's more like constructive critisism. It's never hateful toward her. She isn't perfect, and if we were to only say positive things about her, we would be in denial. This forum is full of very intellegent people. Those who can only respect positive, praising comments about her are on a lower level, and I don't think there are many of those here. We know you love Mao, so don't ever be affraid to speak your mind Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip


Posts : 342
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:51 pm

wow someone deleted my post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 660
Join date : 2009-03-07
Age : 27
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Liffey. I'm somewhat of a hypocrite because sometimes I'll say something negative about Mao, like her costumes, and the next moment I'll become really defensive and start yelling at other people who say the same thing. Embarassed

It's all because we support Mao so much. We tend to take any criticism towards her personally.

So please don't apologise anymore Very Happy If Mao was perfect, and didn't need any criticism, she would be invincible! Since she's only human, just like the rest of us, constructive criticism will only make her stronger Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip


Posts : 342
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:56 pm

liffey and chineseteacup can we put this all behind us? i do respect all of you and i am a TRUE fan of mao.

i do have a tendency to voice my opinion but i am also 45 years old so i have alot of life experience and feel compelled to say what i think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 660
Join date : 2009-03-07
Age : 27
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:58 pm

Hi dlnnyc. I appreciate the fact that you have more life experience and will take that into consideration when I read your posts from now on.

I think this will be the end of the matter Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip


Posts : 342
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:00 pm

chineseteacup wrote:
Hi dlnnyc. I appreciate the fact that you have more life experience and will take that into consideration when I read your posts from now on.

I think this will be the end of the matter Smile


thanks CTC! i appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liffey
Triple Flip
Triple Flip
avatar

Posts : 288
Join date : 2009-07-06
Age : 34

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:19 pm

dlnnyc wrote:
chineseteacup wrote:
Hi dlnnyc. I appreciate the fact that you have more life experience and will take that into consideration when I read your posts from now on.

I think this will be the end of the matter Smile


thanks CTC! i appreciate it.

Many Hearts

Yeah, I think maybe it's just been a stressful week for everyone, but most of all for Mao. I went for a walk tonight to get dinner, and thought of all the drama on the board. In the end, it all seemed a little silly to get upset about, especially when it is Mao who has to feel all this pressure and deal with this in public, and not just as an anon poster on a message board.

I decided to become a poster on this forum because everyone seemed really friendly, and even if people didn't agree, it didn't get nasty. Overall, I do think it is still like that, and I really enjoy reading the posts of the majority of people here. Thanks guys, and GO MAO! Cheering
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dlnnyc
Triple Flip
Triple Flip


Posts : 342
Join date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Liffey wrote:
dlnnyc wrote:
chineseteacup wrote:
Hi dlnnyc. I appreciate the fact that you have more life experience and will take that into consideration when I read your posts from now on.

I think this will be the end of the matter Smile


thanks CTC! i appreciate it.

Many Hearts

Yeah, I think maybe it's just been a stressful week for everyone, but most of all for Mao. I went for a walk tonight to get dinner, and thought of all the drama on the board. In the end, it all seemed a little silly to get upset about, especially when it is Mao who has to feel all this pressure and deal with this in public, and not just as an anon poster on a message board.

I decided to become a poster on this forum because everyone seemed really friendly, and even if people didn't agree, it didn't get nasty. Overall, I do think it is still like that, and I really enjoy reading the posts of the majority of people here. Thanks guys, and GO MAO! Cheering

well said. i hope she is able to take a few days off and soak in the jpnse hot springs and unwind, eat good food and sleep. on that note, i am going to bed.. where are you two from? nyc here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop
avatar

Posts : 660
Join date : 2009-03-07
Age : 27
Location : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm

Oh, me? I live in the sunny country of Australia, where the birds sing 24/7 and there is never a rain cloud in sight. Very Happy

Not really Razz But it is a lot quieter here than NYC (I visited there last year). Our tour guide told us that people who work in NYC are always checking their watches or tapping their foot impatiently. I'm sure that's a stereotype, though Smile

Too bad there's not much of a skating culture here in the Antipodes. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory   

Back to top Go down
 
Tarasova must go if Mao wants shot at Olympic Glory
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Shot Shaping
» Huge Bear Shot by Hunters
» Big Shot Images Senior Game Summaries
» Nike Sling Shot HL
» Tarasova's husband has died

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ballerina on Ice :: Figure Skating :: General News-
Jump to: