HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:17 am

chineseteacup wrote:

Try Amazon.co.jp . I bought all three books from there and the delivery was really fast. I got it in a week or so.

Here's the link to the seventeen book: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/4163709207/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP

I pretty sure they should ship to Canada.

Thank you for this link...but do you need a Japanese bank account to purchase it from that link? pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:19 am

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:
chineseteacup wrote:

Try Amazon.co.jp . I bought all three books from there and the delivery was really fast. I got it in a week or so.

Here's the link to the seventeen book: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/4163709207/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP

I pretty sure they should ship to Canada.

Thank you for this link...but do you need a Japanese bank account to purchase it from that link? pale

No, not at all! Very Happy I used a credit card to purchase my books. I think any visa or mastercard should work fine. flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:30 am

chineseteacup wrote:

No, not at all! Very Happy I used a credit card to purchase my books. I think any visa or mastercard should work fine. flower

Ooooh!!! Thank you!! Your link just made me very very happy Happy dance
Yeah, the delivery time is a lot better than the 21 days from YesAsia like roma said...and it saves a few dollars, too. Too sweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:51 am

That's what holding me back from ordering from YesAsia this time. 21days after release date then at least 2weeks more to be delivered here and with all the holidays... I'll probably get it by Feb 2010. I think I'll ask my friend to check for me or I'll check myself when I visit them next year (hoping) for a vacation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:16 am

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:
chineseteacup wrote:

Ooooh!!! Thank you!! Your link just made me very very happy Happy dance
Yeah, the delivery time is a lot better than the 21 days from YesAsia like roma said...and it saves a few dollars, too. Too sweet!

You're welcome!

@ roma - The 21 days delivery is quite unattractive, I agree.

It seems that Brilliant 18 isn't yet listed on Amazon.jp . I think I'll wait until the December the 19th release date to see if Amazon has it, before I put in an order with YesAsia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mika

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:06 am

You can pre-order at Amazon.co.jp already and the release date is 9th Dec.
here's the link
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-language/product/4163720308/ref=dp_change_lang?ie=UTF8&language=en%5FJP

And here you can have a glance inside. Click the black buttons below to turn the pages (right "previous page", left "next page")
http://www.bunshun.co.jp/tachiyomi/200912/t9784163720302.htm

I ordered already and hope they'll deliver on this weekend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 am

Wow, thanks for the links, mika!

There are some really gorgeous pictures of Mao inside!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:10 am

thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Sorry I am new to this!! Whirly Whirly
I have a question about ordering from Amazon.jp. When you create an account, will it automatically convert the $ to ¥ when you order something from your regular bank account?
So if you order something about ¥1,400, it will deduct about $15.50 from your account?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:57 pm

MaoMaoRevolution wrote:
Sorry I am new to this!! Whirly Whirly
I have a question about ordering from Amazon.jp. When you create an account, will it automatically convert the $ to ¥ when you order something from your regular bank account?
So if you order something about ¥1,400, it will deduct about $15.50 from your account?
Yep. Wink It's too bad the American dollar is so weak now; the exchange rate is simply awful these days. Sweatdrop

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/clovera
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:03 pm

clovera wrote:

Yep. Wink It's too bad the American dollar is so weak now; the exchange rate is simply awful these days. Sweatdrop

Thank youuu!! I never knew it was automatic like that. For a very time I thought you even needed an account in Japan Whirly
Thank you, clovera! Everyone here is such a big help Yep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Hello hello everyone!! I've been barricading myself from all figure skating sites until I could finish watching the Grand Prix Final, but I'm finally back... Sweatdrop

MaoMaoRevolution - did you already order yourself a copy? Because in NYC I know you can order a copy through Kinokuniya (right by Bryant Park). They don't charge shipping, but it might take longer to get than from Amazon. (I am now debating whether or not to order it off Amazon or wait...hmm.. confused )

I will gladly translate the interesting bits of Brilliant Eighteen! flower

From the "glance inside" that mika posted (Thanks mika!!), it was talking about Mao's performance at the 2008 NHK Trophy. Apparently TAT was quite mad that Mao didn't get credit for her two triple axels... Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuyu-no-ohimesama.blogspot.com/
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:44 am

Batsuchan wrote:
I will gladly translate the interesting bits of Brilliant Eighteen! flower

Cheering Thank you! Cheering
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Gahh, Amazon.jp said the book was temporarily out of stock when I checked earlier, and now it won't ship for 4-6 days...gahh, I might just be better off using the slow shipping through my local bookstore... Bawling

Anyhow, from the preview on the website, here's the translation of the first 4 pages! flower

I probably won't be doing full translations later, but just to give you guys a preview:

Chapter 1 A genius and a fairy

Match report Paris, Tokyo

November 19, 2008

Molodets!”

The legendary figure skating coach, Tatiana Tarasova, greeted her student proudly when she returned to the rink side after her free program.

Molodets! (You did well!)”

Mao Asada happily received her teacher’s embrace.

At the National Yoyogi Stadium, most people were standing and cheering.

She had done it. The first time a woman had ever landed them in an international competition—two triple axels.

The wildly enthusiastic crowd, the staff, Coach Tarasova, and Mao Asada herself—right after her performance, no one doubted that result.

In the kiss and cry, as she waited for her score, Asada could not hide her excitement.

However, the result was different. The second jump was declared underrotated, and it did not end up being a brilliant achievement.

After the competition, Tarasova was displeased with this questionable, severe judgment. She was quite mad. Because no matter what anyone said, her student “had done very well,” and “was spectacular.”

Indeed, you could say that the preparation by her “team” had gone very well this time. Mao was very close to her true form when she stood on the rink at the NHK Trophy, the last event of the Grand Prix Series.

As if she were a completely different person from the one who struggled with the jumps at her previous competition, she jumped gracefully and beautifully. She danced as if she were sparkling.

Once the figure skating season begins, the competitions continue one after the other. Asada had faced her first competition of the season two weeks ago in Paris.

That competition, the Trophee Eric Bompard, was absolutely not what she had wished for. In front of the cameras, at the press conferences, during interviews, Asada repeated this over and over again.

“I wasn’t at 100%. I think it’s a mental/emotional problem. I will do my best for the next competition (NHK Trophy).”

On November 14, the France competition started like this:

At the public practice, there was a group of children sitting in one section of the seats. It wasn’t a big group, but their voices echoed more than one would think, and it made the stadium seem crowded.

In the media room, the reporters from Japan stood out. There were the majority.

In order to not inconvenience the skaters, the staff of the Japan Skating Federation, asked that the media refrain from “waiting at the exit” [to interview the skaters].

Bercy Gymnasium, the competition venue, was beautiful with its blue ceiling and red seats. Even the ice was not completely white, but tinged with a faint blue.

Asada appeared on that rink wearing a black sweater. Tatiana Tarasova was standing at the rink side. It had been a long time since I had seen her, but as always, she was a person with a singular aura.

The song for Mao Asada’s short program for this season was Debussy’s “Clair de Lune.” The choreography was done by Lori Nichol.

Mao removed her sweater, and wearing only her costume, she looked a little thin. But her toned back was very pretty.

While practicing, Asada did the lutz over and over again.

In the previous season, she had consistently received deductions for taking off on the wrong edge. In order to make sure that the edge was an outside edge, she was slowly trying to do the jump.

“It is the thing I’m trying to fix with all my might. I think it’s gotten a lot better,” she said when I asked her in the summer, but she had not yet become “confident” about that jump. When she returned to Tarasova’s side, the nervousness was visible on her face.

It resembled the expression that Asada always has when she faces her first competition of the season. After fiercely driving herself into a corner, she lets her condition fall one time. She becomes weak and stressed.

Before the season, she spoke like this.

And that's where it ends. Can't wait to read the rest!!
Back to top Go down
josling
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:00 am

Oh, thank you so much, Batsuchan! Thank you!
I'm so jealous that you all can read these books and unterstand the interviews etc... Drama!
I want to speak japanese too .... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mingming
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:37 am

Today I got the book cheers
It includes a lot of photos compared with same series books, so all you here who don't speak Japanese will be able to enjoy it,I think flower
These photos are so beautiful Wub

Batsuchan :翻訳お疲れ様 !Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:02 am

mingming wrote:
Today I got the book cheers
It includes a lot of photos compared with same series books, so all you here who don't speak Japanese will be able to enjoy it,I think flower
These photos are so beautiful Wub

Batsuchan :翻訳お疲れ様 !Very Happy

Lucky! Razz

Hope you enjoy the book! flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:21 pm

Ok, I finally got my copy of Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen, and I just read the first half. flower

Here are some interesting tidbits:

At the 2008 TEB, in the warmup before the short program, Tarasova told her to finish with a single lutz, probably to help her get her timing. But Mao typically likes to finish with a triple jump, so that she ends the warmup with a good feeling.

Apparently, several cameramen were impressed by Mao's program and said they "got goosebumps" even though Mao made many jump mistakes.

The author says that part of Mao's anxiety at TEB might have been due to her distance from Tarasova. She says, "Mao has a completely artless/genuine personality, but on the other hand, she is quite shy, and has a reserved side." At that time, they did not know each other well.

"To Tarasova, Mao seemed to be a genius and a fairy-like, beautiful young girl. An innocent girl who knew nothing of worry...
To Mao, Tarasova seemed too great. She was not afraid of her. She respected her."

Mao further says that she was nervous because it was her first competition with Tarasova, and everyone would be watching them.

The author explains that TAT thought Mao was a genius like Kulik or Yagudin, who would change their jump layouts depending on what they did well in the 6-minute warmup. But Mao isn't like that; she has to do what she practiced; she can't change it in the middle of the competition. And so Tarasova was surprised; she had always thought that Mao could do anything, but at TEB, she realized this wasn't the case.

When they were practicing in Russia after TEB, TAT was really mad. She couldn't understand why Mao wasn't able to jump at TEB. She got so mad once that she threw a water bottle; it didn't reach Mao, but it got the staff wet. Laughing But apparently there's almost no one who has been able to make TAT that mad. Her anger was so powerful that Mao was shocked and couldn't speak.

But after they came to understand each other, TAT refused to change her opinion of Mao, and said, "That girl is a fairy. There is nothing she cannot do."

At the Grand Prix Final, Mao did not let all the cheering for Yu-Na bother her. In fact, it made her think, "I absolutely don't want to mess up here." And that is one thing I really respect about Mao. I don't think she would ever complain about the cheering/jeering of the crowd, even if it bothered her. (Unlike other skaters...) Thumbs up!

Reading the book, I feel like the author is a little frustrated with the scoring system/the judging. I didn't feel like this in the other books, but this time I do feel like the author feels like some things that have happened were a bit unfair to Mao. But maybe that's also my bias speaking. Sweatdrop

More to come later!
Back to top Go down
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks for your translation Batsuchan!
These are very interesting bits indeed, these books really help us get to know Mao better- which makes me even more of a fan!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Thank you sooo much Very Happy!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
coconut
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks Batsuchan!!

Nice to know the relationship between Mao and TAT.
can't wait for the next tidbits. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 pm

Worship Thanks, Batsuchan! Very Happy

Batsuchan wrote:
The author explains that TAT thought Mao was a genius like Kulik or Yagudin, who would change their jump layouts depending on what they did well in the 6-minute warmup. But Mao isn't like that; she has to do what she practiced; she can't change it in the middle of the competition. And so Tarasova was surprised; she had always thought that Mao could do anything, but at TEB, she realized this wasn't the case.
-----
When they were practicing in Russia after TEB, TAT was really mad. She couldn't understand why Mao wasn't able to jump at TEB. She got so mad once that she threw a water bottle; it didn't reach Mao, but it got the staff wet. But apparently there's almost no one who has been able to make TAT that mad. Her anger was so powerful that Mao was shocked and couldn't speak.
-----
But after they came to understand each other, TAT refused to change her opinion of Mao, and said, "That girl is a fairy. There is nothing she cannot do."

It seems like there's a bit of TAT in us. Razz Just like before the start of this season, we believe Mao can do a LOT of things -- anything. Then came JO, TEB and CoR and those competitions left us so frustrated. But then even if Mao stumbled we still BELIEVE in her. We know she CAN do it! TAT getting angry must've been quite a sight. But I love how TAT sees Mao as a fairy. Many Hearts

Reading these tidbits made me realize that Mao feels more secure when she does things well in practice and sticks to those she practiced. I wonder if it has always been like this? I mean in the off season we've seen her do different jumps really well so I was actually thinking she can just replace jumps depending on what she can do at the moment...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:48 pm

roma wrote:

Reading these tidbits made me realize that Mao feels more secure when she does things well in practice and sticks to those she practiced. I wonder if it has always been like this? I mean in the off season we've seen her do different jumps really well so I was actually thinking she can just replace jumps depending on what she can do at the moment...

I'm not sure about this. The only time I can think of when Mao changed her layout mid-program was at the 2005 GPF--but that was sort of planned. She obviously had been practicing doing either the triple axel-double toe combo OR the triple flip as her 2nd jump; since the first 3A was a little shaky, she decided to do the flip instead of the axel.

I kind of wish Mao would practice doing alternate jumps for the short program. If she misses the first 3A, she could make the second jump pass into a 3F-2Lo, and then maybe do a 3Lo instead of the 2A...

In past seasons, it felt like Mao could pull out a good performance even if the practices weren't going well, if she truly believed in herself. Last season (and this season?), though, it seems more like Mao can't do well unless the practices leading up to the competition were going well.

But then again, I think the practices would go well if Mao believed in herself...so I guess, in the end, I agree with TAT (and roma). THERE'S NOTHING THAT MAO CAN'T DO!! She just needs to believe it! Cheering
Back to top Go down
Batsuchan
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Ok, here are a few more tidbits! flower

About the fact that her 2nd 3A was not recognized at the 2008 NHK Trophy, Mao said: "I'm not too concerned about the judging decision. Setting aside whether or not it was rotated or not, I think the fact that I challenged myself with two triple axels and landed them will give me confidence for the next competition."

Remember in February, after 4CC, Mao said the reason she wasn't in her best condition was "a secret"? Well, this is what Mao said about it later: "I can't believe it myself, but for the first time in my life, I didn't want to go to the competition. I wasn't skating well at all, and I had a problem with motivation. At any rate, I couldn't control my emotions/thoughts. Tatiana-sensei scolded me. 'Don't think about anything other than going to the competition and pull yourself together.'"

She also says, "I realized that I couldn't let my motivation fall like that. This is something that Tatiana-sensei pointed out later.
The truth is, before 4CC, Sensei and I weren't seeing eye-to-eye. I couldn't communicate my thoughts at all. And I guess, because of that, I wasn't able to pull myself together.
One more thing--I think the fact that Worlds was coming up soon also had an influence...The competition was coming closer and closer, but I couldn't improve my skating condition, and I became a little nervous. 4CC became a good learning experience for me. In the end, you have to overcome everything by yourself.
You have to do the things you are supposed to do. I think that is a really important thing."

At the end of this section, the author comments on how loud the Korean fans were at 4CC; they were so loud that it was like the GPF in Korea. Mao, of course, says nothing about this, but surely the author found it a bit disconcerting.

There was a cute anecdote about the first time the author talked to Mao about being #1 in the world--wayy back before Mao even went to Junior Worlds. Mao was basically happily stuffing her face while Mai was sleeping in the car, and she couldn't really express it in words, but the author could tell from her expression that she thought it would be a great thing. If I have time later, perhaps I will translate...

And here is my favorite anecdote in the whole book, so I'm going to translate the whole thing (pg 100). Love Hearts

Mao always carries a fresh passion for skating.
Just like when she was little, it's not just fun for her; she loves it from the bottom of her heart. She's still only 18 years old, but I think it won't be an exaggeration to say it'll be that way for her whole life.
And yet, if you took skating away from Mao, she'd still be a very good girl.
Indeed, very easily, in the blink of the eye, she charmed many people.

I guess it was when Mao was 15 years old?
There was an incident when a man in a suit with a sharp gleam in his eye approached us. He was the kind of man that seemed to be extremely violent, like he might have a gun concealed by his chest.
He put his hands around Mao's hips and drew her to him, and I broke out in a cold sweat. No matter what happens, I absolutely have to protect this child.
However, he stopped and said this:
"You're Mao-chan, aren't you? I'm cheering for you, so do your best."
After he passed us, Mao's eyes became big and round.
"That was a scary man!"
He was an extremely powerful person. But, he was happy. He looked joyful.
It was a once in a lifetime experience. In that brief encounter, I realized the power Mao possessed.
She comforts people. Outside of the rink, in person, or just by seeing her, she reaches groups of brown-haired high school girls, elderly people, young children, and even "scary men."
That's just awesome. Very Happy And so true! Whenever Mao smiles her big, genuine smile, I can't help but smile myself! flower
Back to top Go down
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:07 pm

Thanks a bunch for providing us with tidbits, Batsuchan! My copy of Brilliant Eighteen won't be here until after New Year's so this is really appreciated. Very Happy

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/clovera
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen   

Back to top Go down

Mao Asada, Brilliant Eighteen
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next