HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko   Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:43 am

Hi Everyone:

I'm not sure if you already saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqwqMbzjXcs&feature=featured

Elvis talks about the men's skating controversy in figure skating and what happened to him after he spoke his mind (people criticizing, emails, personal attacks etc). He also talked about objectivity, skaters afraid of being judged (ie. being in a bad position with the ISU) if they spoke their mind. He said that those who agreed with him came up to him and said so although they were quiet about it.
I also liked that he said: when you take out the big jumps, everything in between is just so much easier. You're not leaving the ice. I agree with this.

I know that Elvis is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think watching him speak is different from reading his articles.

For me, he came off as very honest and genuine. I don't really see him as obnoxious at all. You can tell that he's really trying to push the sport of figure skating- he really loves it. He's not doing himself a favour by voicing any opinion, he's not part of any committee or any skater's camp, but he's passionate about his thoughts.
He wants people to realize how difficult it is to challenge the big elements on Olympic ice. He also said that commentators, from doing shows most of the time, some of them have not even attempted the quad so they don't really know the difficulty. I think this also ties in with the 3A for Mao, when certain people say "so what". People simply don't understand . I think his interview was great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko   Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 am

Good topic saphiresky.
I hope he will voice for Mao as well. I mean, not even the Japanese TV commentators have the courage to say out loud that something is wrong with the judging.

I heard Philippe Candeloro also commenting that Mao's 3A is sooo hard and should have higher basic value.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko   Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 am

Elvis named his favourite female skater in the livechat during the Ladies LP.

Can anyone guess?

He said Midori Ito followed by Michelle Kwan. Haha how predictable.. Actually, I was pretty surprised when I heard Midori, but I guess not so much because he loves people who push the sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko   Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:06 am

sapphiresky wrote:
Elvis named his favourite female skater in the livechat during the Ladies LP.

Can anyone guess?

He said Midori Ito followed by Michelle Kwan. Haha how predictable.. Actually, I was pretty surprised when I heard Midori, but I guess not so much because he loves people who push the sport.

well then mao may become his favourite heeh , I know no one beside her who pushes and challenges herself like mao... cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko   

Back to top Go down

Fantastic Interview with Elvis Stojko
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1