HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
popocucu

PostSubject: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Dear all,

Every skater has different strengths. Mao Chan maybe good in jumping and technical skills but she is lack of artistic. Looking back on Sasha Cohen's last US open performance, if she didn't repeat the mistakes she has been taken gold medal this year.

It resembles to our human lifecycle. Every stage of our life we need to find different direction to continue. It is same thing in sports.

Mao need to get a new choreographer/coach who can train her on dancing skills, learn how to feel the music and facial expressions.

When I reviewed back her performance at the recent Olympic event, she really lack of these two abilities. Maybe she is still very young. Mao look very stiff in every movement.

But if you comparing to Kim Yuna, she has adapt these two qualities after changing in new coach.

Shizuka Arakawa is still my favourite of all time. She has the combination of strength in technical and artistic movements.

Maybe Mao can hired or get Shizuka to be her next choreographer coach.

Figure Ice skating is not about jumping. This is not gymnastics. Your first impressions to the judges are rather critical to get higher points. This is like the ballet competition. You need to PERFORM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 pm

I don't know what to say other than I think you haven't watched much of Mao's performances. FYI, she's one of the most balletic skaters. Also, if you follow the protocals, Yuna won based on her advantage in GOE which is part of TES, not the PCS. If both skated clean, Mao is not far behind in PCS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 pm

I can't stand this thing of facial expressions. Is it the only kind of expression you guys know?

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
maowataiyo
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 pm

popocucu wrote:
Dear all,

Every skater has different strengths. Mao Chan maybe good in jumping and technical skills but she is lack of artistic. Looking back on Sasha Cohen's last US open performance, if she didn't repeat the mistakes she has been taken gold medal this year.

It resembles to our human lifecycle. Every stage of our life we need to find different direction to continue. It is same thing in sports.

Mao need to get a new choreographer/coach who can train her on dancing skills, learn how to feel the music and facial expressions.

When I reviewed back her performance at the recent Olympic event, she really lack of these two abilities. Maybe she is still very young. Mao look very stiff in every movement.

But if you comparing to Kim Yuna, she has adapt these two qualities after changing in new coach.

Shizuka Arakawa is still my favourite of all time. She has the combination of strength in technical and artistic movements.

Figure Ice skating is not about jumping. This is not gymnastics. Your first impressions to the judges are rather critical to get higher points. This is like the ballet competition. You need to PERFORM.

Um, welcome to this forum. Now I don't know whether to call out troll, bot, or WTF?! US open?! Tennis?! Gymnastics?! Ballet?! Huh?

Are you a recent viewer of figure skating Question

I rewatched Mao's Olympics and to me, she seemed to interpret the music wonderfully. It obviously wasn't to your liking, but if Arakawa is truly your favorite skater than I would really think that you would like Mao. They both have nice balletic lines, positions, smooth edging, and are subtle in their artisty. I guess your definition of being able to perform is having a more outward approach, but I just construe that is being cheeky. Also, for future reference, you don't have to capitilize the "chan" in Mao-chan. Thumbs up! It's not a surname like Patrick's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 pm

Lol...I laugh when certain people say that Mao is not "artistic" compared to the other skater...

For goodness sake, what have they been watching?!?

If you think ballet is "stiff", then perhaps the style is just not for you. Some people prefer modern dance, jazz or hip-hop- fine it's your style, but you shouldn't go telling ballerinas to change or improve...

It's very contradictory when Mao's style is more close to ballet, yet your argument focuses on how she needs to perform like ballet. And...the thing with facial expressions...sigh* don't bring this up again Rolling Eyes

Mao's music is very classical and somewhat traditional, but her skating still brings lightness to it- I think it's actually a good balance.

As Lu Chen said, the two skaters have two different styles- you can't compare them based on that, you may like one or the other, but you shouldn't tell them to change them. One is classical and one is modern. Having said this, I still think the other should get improve on line and flexibility...

Mao has a classical style while something like Gershwin or Bond Rolling Eyes are WAY more modern. Music of different era require different interpretations. My question for you is- have you ever watched the ballet to masquerade? Do you notice how "stiff" it is (using your words, not mine)- it's NOT SUPPOSED to be overt...or in your face. Some people don't know art until it hits them in the face, and don't have the ability to appreciate subtle art...

The notes of the "Bells" piece- do you not hear the dissonance, the disconnect- it's meant to be that way. If Mao did it in any different way, I would be questioning it- she is just interpreting the music- there is nothing wrong with that. I thought she did a wonderful job of connecting the notes in that piece- it's so much harder skating a dark piece in a minor chord.

And she hasn't "lost" her lyricism as you said, you can't just "lose" something like that- it's innate. She had more lyricism and "fluidity" than the other skater a long time ago- different pieces show off different sides.

Again, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but Mao didn't "lose" anything. She's just more flexible, and will likely showcase another style next season.
Vent over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:10 am

alyssa wrote:
I can't stand this thing of facial expressions. Is it the only kind of expression you guys know?

ITA!
I only like facial expressions if they come out naturally along with the performance. I don't like it so much when they're set and calculated beforehand, like a theatrical performance by some actress.

popocucu, it's hard for me to believe you are a fan of Shizukas' considering how much facial expressions she ever made during her performances. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:23 am

Suspect Mmmm ehhh... Are you sure you have watched figure skating? It is like ballet competition? Are you crazy? Neutral It's a sport dear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yuki
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:45 am

popocucu wrote:
Dear all,

Every skater has different strengths. Mao Chan maybe good in jumping and technical skills but she is lack of artistic.

lack of artistic confused
Very strange view to most of us.
YOU are lack of an aesthetic sensibility, I think. scratch

Last edited by yuki on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huagon

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 pm

popocucu wrote:
Dear all,

I think what you mean to say is Mao needs to choose an art form that is more pleasing to the judges. Because art is a subjective matter, you can be artistic and score low in artistry. The bottom line is Mao can skate to any artistic form she wishes. I think all she needs to do is change her music so she can skate according to the art form that the judges at the moment seem to favor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level   Today at 7:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Mao need a new trainer to continue to next level
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1