HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:47 pm

If you don't know both Mao Asada & Daisuke Takahasi won the gold medal in the ladies and men fields respectively. However most people haven't noticed the fact that Japan also won both golds in the Junior World Championships. Kanako Murakami and Yuzuru Hanyu are the winners, but they also won the Grand Prix Final earlier in the season. It seems like Japan's reign in the single discplines will continue with promising juniors. Haruka Imai also proves to be a young skater with promise. Kozuka will most likely become a podium threat in Sochi. Tatsuki Machida is also a skater to watch. He had a strong showing in 4CC this year finishing second to Adam Rippon.
4 golds for Japan...... Mao Asada, Daisuke Takahasi, Kanako Murakami, and Yuzuru Hanyu. When did this last happen D:? If ever?
Not to mention- Narumi Takahashi / Mervin Tran finished second this year in the JGPF and also in the Worlds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Japan's future in figure skating will be certainly great. cheers

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
ddmm
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:34 pm

It is already mentioned in the WORLDS thread but thank you Genie for reminding it again because it's just so incredible.
And this is the 100th Worlds !!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 am

It's Japan's era this time~!

I am so happy for them. Kanako has a bright future, and she's being coached by Yamada-sensei if I am not mistaken. Who knows? She might even be a threat to our Mao in Sochi? (MAO ALL THE WAY STILL!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:55 pm

Boy oh boy!
Who would've imagined in the days of Minoru Sano or even when Midori Ito was at her peak that a day like this would come. For the young folks who don't know, times like this was truely unimaginable in Japanese figure skating in those days.

Firstly, most of our skaters had too short and too fat legs, that whatever they did, even if they did it quite well, they were never as half as beautiful to watch compared to the Europeans and the Americans then. Everyone in Japan thought the sport suits only tall caucasians with lovely long legs; surely not us.

Even the best of our jumpers and spinners, were never able to get credit when it came to 'artistic impression'. I have to admit our skaters did lack artistry then, and so Midori decided to fight with her techniques mainly, which resulted in her achieving the 3A.

After a while Yuka Sato appeared and beat Surya Bonaly with high credits in 'artistic impression' due to her very neat performance, and won at Worlds. But that was basically because some of the top skaters at the time were absent from the competition. It was years later that Fumie and Shizuka finally entered the picture, and started to recieve credit for their artistry as well as their skills. After them Miki appeared and...you know the rest.

Anyway, we've come a long way to get here! And through this competition, I strongly feel that the Japanese athletic spirit of training hard, challenging and giving it all you have under any circumstance is what led our skaters into this brilliant era.

Dai attempting a 4F though he didn't have to, Mao still going for two 3As in her FP despite that incorrect UR for the one in SP, Miki skating as if her life depended on it even after missing her combo, and Akiko recovering from the disasterous SP and delivering her FP with all her heart...those are the spirits which made the Japanese team what it is today, I'm sure.

And I have to say for our dear Mao, that I'm totally happy now about her winning silver at Olys and gold in Worlds. I wouldn't have wanted to see her win gold at Olys, and ending up like that in Worlds like Yuna.

Mao will propaply make mistakes sometimes in her future performances, that I have no problem with. But I'd never want her to skate a program as unwillingly as Yuna did this time, though of course I'm sure Mao would never be like that under any circumstance! She loves to skate, she is proud of her programs, and grateful for all who support her, giving an unwilling performance is the last thing she'd ever do.

I appreciate all our past skaters, as much as our present skaters. Without Midori, Yuka, Sano, Honda and all the others, our Mao and her skating pals never would've gotten this far. This year, though we didn't win any gold medals at Olys, was truely a milestone in Japanese figure skating which we will always remember. I'm proud and thankful to have been able to enjoy it all at real time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Midori was, and is grossly underrated. Aside from her jumps, she was a great pre-CoP spinner, had engaging footwork, and skated with great gusto. The Japanese media themselves slammed her with the "too short, fat legs, and has no artistry" image, which poor Midori mentions up til this very today. No

Midori had to include all the triples, include a gigantic 3A and a 3T-3T in the latter half of her of LP to receive 5.9s and 6.0s, while someone like Jill Trenary could walk away with a wonky 3F as her hardest jump and a 1A-3S to rake in 5.7 on the tech mark (how I loved ordinals). She certainly was long-legged and beautiful, but I personally thought Jill's artistry and choregraphy during 1990 Worlds consisted of prancing and gimmicky hand movements to disco music - not particularly great to watch at all. This of course might just be me. Laugh

I'm very happy to see skating receive buzz in Japan though! It really wasn't until the Torino season that it rekindled public interest; Fumie + Takeshi's medals and Shiz's 2004 gold didn't generate much publicity at all compared to today. Yep!

View user profile
MaoMaoRevolution
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Thank you clovera and PochinkoPotanko for the breif history of Japanese skating!

You mention so many difficult times for the skaters from Japan, but if someone were just to see figure skating in the past four years, they would no doubt think Japan has as long and rich a figure skating history as Europe and America. It's amazing how quickly the Japanese skaters have grown and proved to the world that Japan is one of the top skating powerhouses of the world.
Now many of the world's skating experts are Japanese, and the coaches (and students) really understand the sport in a deep way.
Cheering
The future is exciting!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 am

Tony Wheeler made a two part tribute to Japanese skaters through the years.

http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/06/thank-you-japan-part-one.html (Part I)

http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/06/thank-you-japan-part-two.html (Part II)

I didn't know Nobu skated to a program with music from Mario! That's total awesomeness Happy dance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:26 am

aoi88 wrote:
Tony Wheeler made a two part tribute to Japanese skaters through the years.

http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/06/thank-you-japan-part-one.html (Part I)

http://tony-wheeler.blogspot.com/2010/06/thank-you-japan-part-two.html (Part II)

I didn't know Nobu skated to a program with music from Mario! That's total awesomeness Happy dance

aoi, thank you for introducing this. I posted the links to the Japanese forum, and I'm sure everybody there will be happy to read it as I was. I especially liked and agreed with what he wrote about Yukari and Takahiko. cat

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:29 pm

PochinkoPotanko, it's funny how you mention how Japanese skaters had too short, and fat legs to look as beautiful on the ice as the skaters from the US, and Europe. Now, it seems like all Asian skaters actually have a little bit of an advantage with their petite, smaller body type. There is definitely nothing fat on them any more (I suppose skaters are pushing themselves harder to get their body the way just they want it. Take Mao for example...), and as for their hight, it's not a disadvantage any more. If anything, it's an advantage in many cases.

And clovera, when you point out how Jill Trenary used to be scored in comparison to Midori, it reminds me a bit of how Yuna is scored compared to Mao. Even though I think Mao has the athleticism, AND the artistry over Yuna, so the whole scoring issue is even less justified in their case!

PostSubject: Re: Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines   

Back to top Go down

Japan's dominance in the singles dispclines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1