HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao's Clair de Lune

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

Location : Somewhere drinking hot chocolate on a cold winter day =]

PostSubject: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:25 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azYOM7yM2Io

I thought her Clair de Lune program from last season was absolutely beautiful! It was elegant, mature, and really showcased her ethereal skating cat .

Just thought reminiscing on one of her past programs would be a nice break away from the news

It's one of my favorite programs of hers and I think a lot of people forgot how good of a program this was because of their dislike over her Masquerade LP. I think a lot of people let that overshadow this program =/.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
~*AAA*~

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:38 am

‘haha
I like the teb version the best
although both the 3-3 and lutz didn't work well that time, the feelings of the program was sooooo good. when she was doing the layover camel spin, I felt like the moon light just poured down.

so happy Mao is planning to choose some calm, soft ans slow music. Maybe chopin's? this year is the 200th anniversary of his birth. It would be really lovely Mao should choose one of his works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:43 am

I absolutely agree, iceskatingfan!

The program is really amazing and I feel also very underrated. I don't remember people raving about it as much as it would deserve or calling it a masterpiece which I think it really is.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.... Love Hearts

How can anyone say Mao is only about 3A when watching this?
There is not a single week point in this program or anything lacking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:20 am

She could use piano version. That would be lovely. Wub

But if she were to return to an old program, I'd prefer to see Nocturne or Fantasia.

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Here is her 2008 GPF SP (with the 3-3 instead of the 3A):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TljN94O88oU

It was pretty much perfect Very Happy (despite the 3-3 downgrade =[)

I really do wish people had appreciated this program more! It's absolutely stunning. The 3-3 and the 3A version work so nicely with the choreography. And the circular step sequence is amazing! I think this is the Mao that so many people thought was missing these past two seasons. I think everyone was too concerned about her Masquerade LP to appreciate this program Razz

I would love to see her skate to something like this for next season!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 pm

kawaiimao wrote:

The program is really amazing and I feel also very underrated. I don't remember people raving about it as much as it would deserve or calling it a masterpiece which I think it really is.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.... Love Hearts

How can anyone say Mao is only about 3A when watching this?
There is not a single week point in this program or anything lacking!

Yes I agree too!! Her spins, posture, lines, and flow are all so wonderful in this program! Her 3A is just icing on the cake haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:27 pm

iceskatingfan wrote:
Here is her 2008 GPF SP (with the 3-3 instead of the 3A):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TljN94O88oU

It was pretty much perfect Very Happy (despite the 3-3 downgrade =[)

I really do wish people had appreciated this program more! It's absolutely stunning. The 3-3 and the 3A version work so nicely with the choreography. And the circular step sequence is amazing! I think this is the Mao that so many people thought was missing these past two seasons. I think everyone was too concerned about her Masquerade LP to appreciate this program Razz

I would love to see her skate to something like this for next season!

Thank you iceskatingfan for your great suggestion. Mao always brings back my smile even in some of the toughest times for me. Watching her performance is the best way for all of us to feel better for sure. Like you, I love the circular SS in this program. It shows well that although she's a great jumper, that's not the only essence of her performances. I'm hoping we might get to see a program like this one next season, since Mao said that she wants to do something with calm, soft and slower music than the past season.

I also agree with alyssa about using piano version. Maybe not solo piano, but piano combined with strings would be nice. I'd like to see her using music which includes piano, violin or cello. cat

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

In my opinion violin suits Mao the best. Her short program "ladies in lavender" was outstanding! Swoon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MikiAndoFan#1
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:26 pm

OMG, polosatik! I love your signature! Mao and Mai look beautiful!

Swoon

polosatik wrote:
In my opinion violin suits Mao the best. Her short program "ladies in lavender" was outstanding! Swoon

My favourite SP of Mao's!

Cheering

Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Thank you MikiAndoFan#1 ! sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 pm

Clair de Lune is close second favorite for me for Mao's SPs. First is Ladies in Lavender.

Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Mao's Clair de Lune program, iceskatingfan.

I felt inspired to provide some of my own thoughts on Mao's Masquerade program Razz.

I was watching this video the other day where Tatiana was explaining how the inspiration for Mao's original Masquerade LP came the movie 'Masquerade'. In particular, the step sequence was meant to be an allusion to the scene where the wife character is poisoned by her husband and staggers towards the balcony with an almost waltz-like movement

I kept thinking about how much Mao's Masquerade program has changed since. The new choreography for the SP made it seem to be more about a young lady at her first ballroom dance instead of this intense, dramatic scene. In my opinion, the change made the program more suited to Mao. This change was also reflected in Mao's costumes, and make-up. The music was the same, but the story behind the program was altered.

And because the program became more suited to Mao, the program seemed to be more vibrant and, for me, more enjoyable to behold.

I, too, would like to see Mao skate to 'softer' music in the upcoming seasons. However, I think that as long as the story behind the program is tailored to suit Mao, all the other facets of a performance will naturally fit into place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
illani
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:05 pm

chineseteacup, I agree about the two Masquerade programs! I thought the SP was much more suited to her. But also, the music was just too repetitive to sustain interest for a LP, IMO.

Clair de Lune is one of my favorite programs of Mao's, though I do prefer the piano version of the music. I've heard certain commentators (I will not name them, but some of you can probably guess Rolling Eyes) say the music was too soft for her, which I do not agree with at all. I think Mao handles the soft music beautifully. Wub
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chineseteacup
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:57 pm

illani wrote:
I thought the SP was much more suited to her. But also, the music was just too repetitive to sustain interest for a LP, IMO.

I agree Smile. I think this is another thing to keep in mind for future music choices: the use of dynamics, and modulations in the texture of the music Yep!.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 am

chineseteacup wrote:

I kept thinking about how much Mao's Masquerade program has changed since. The new choreography for the SP made it seem to be more about a young lady at her first ballroom dance instead of this intense, dramatic scene. In my opinion, the change made the program more suited to Mao. This change was also reflected in Mao's costumes, and make-up. The music was the same, but the story behind the program was altered.

And because the program became more suited to Mao, the program seemed to be more vibrant and, for me, more enjoyable to behold.

I, too, would like to see Mao skate to 'softer' music in the upcoming seasons. However, I think that as long as the story behind the program is tailored to suit Mao, all the other facets of a performance will naturally fit into place.

Yeah, I agree with this. Even though the music cut was pretty much the same, all the changes made to Mao's Masquerade SP really made the program more fitting to her. I enjoyed her SP this season, especially her performance of it at the Olympics! No words can explain how amazing her reaction after her SP there was sunny .

I agree with everyone who said that they liked her Ladies in Lavender program too. That also remains one of my favorite programs of hers. It was just so dynamic and different. I thought the music was cut very well and the choreography fit the music perfectly. The program was very dramatic, in a good way haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 am

I was watching Janet Lynn's "Afternoon of a Faun" Exhibition and it reminded me of Mao's "Clair de Lune" program. Here's a clip. http://www.youtube.com/watch? v=Jn0VZyztldo&feature=related

Maybe it's the fact that they are both skating to music composed by Claude Debussy (whom I adore) but the two performances share so much in common. They both seem to float across the ice and their positions have a finished touch. I know Mao cites Midori as her idol but Janet has a lot of popularity in Japan it's possible her style influenced Japanese skaters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:54 pm

I've only watched more current figure skaters, so I don't know much about Janet Lynn, but I agree, they both seem to float over the ice and have soft, finished touches cat .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Mao's Clair de Lune was a masterpiece, and it was very sensual but refined. Too bad not a lot of people appreciated this. I think this SP showed the best of Mao, although I agree that a piece with violin would give more drama.

In this program, I imagine Mao skating in a forest, near a lake where the moonlight shines upon her. She's all alone, like a nymph of the forest. She jumps without a care in the world. She dances for herself and lures everyone in. She doesn't need to show off, it's her beautiful movements that capture our attention. She's in her own world and we're just mere spectators. And when she starts the step sequences, we are all fascinated. In the end, it's like a beautiful dream. Who was that girl dancing, moving so fluidly?

Oops! I may be daydreaming too much. Excuse me. XD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BowbowDaijin
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:14 am

I like this one too. I think it is Nocturne's level up program.
Because I know Clair de Lune from Disney's Fantasia (it's the
piece that they cut off but you can find it in Fantasia's bonus
feature.) and it is nothing only cranes, moon and water.
Once Mao stopped after 3F-3L, I think she is like a crane
preparing to fly over to the moon in that Fantasia piece.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao's Clair de Lune   

Back to top Go down

Mao's Clair de Lune
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1