HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm

aoi88 wrote:
However, there's a part of me that wishes Mao will choose a more mind-blowing piece of music (Liebestraum is a bit too predictable) that will mesmerize the judges so much they'll forget any weaknesses she has. Smile

At first I was also a bit disappointed because by that time it was confirmed that Liebestraume was the second piece of music that TAT chose for Mao, so there was no real surprise value. But in the end I'm very happy that Mao chose this music, because IMHO Mao's LP will be remembered as THE Liebestraume. For me, it's the most beautiful lyrical program since Mao's Nocturne and Michelle's Lyra Angelica.
Plus, it seems like Mao feels really comfortable skating to it, and I think it's very important right now when she is still reworking her technique. Smile I would love for her to try new styles or to do an energetic program like "Caprice" one day, but I think it's important to stabilize her jumps first. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Thank you so much Okami for the detailed analysis!

If the ISU judging system has rule changes every year, I think they might have some this year. Maybe... If it's stricter, oh well..... If it's more lenient, then Mao has a chance. Mao still looks like a young skater, not a 20 year old skater.

I have another question. Do you think a female skater can do the type of layouts that the men have?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
I have another question. Do you think a female skater can do the type of layouts that the men have?
It's very possible for a lady to match an elite male skater's jumping layout at least for the SP, now that the axel requirement is no longer restricted to the 2A. Should Mao or anyone else ever succeed in the 3A, 3-3, and steps into solo triple layout...well, she just matched the vast majority of male skaters right there! Whoever does it first also makes history as the first lady to land four triples in the SP. Very Happy

View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:30 pm

clovera wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:
It's very possible for a lady to match an elite male skater's jumping layout at least for the SP, now that the axel requirement is no longer restricted to the 2A. Should Mao or anyone else ever succeed in the 3A, 3-3, and steps into solo triple layout...well, she just matched the vast majority of male skaters right there! Whoever does it first also makes history as the first lady to land four triples in the SP. Very Happy

Hhhhmmmm..... I can bet that Mao will make that as one of her goals. Lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:55 pm

clovera wrote:
Mao_Asada_sunrise wrote:

And it's gonna be Mao. Cheering

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
kawaiimao
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:34 am

Okami wrote:

As clovera said while I was busy calculating ( clown ), it would be very difficult for a skater without a triple axel.

For visualisation's sake, I calculated YuNa's LP score at the Olympics using this season's rules (RE: base values, GoEs, spirals. I kept the same jump layout though, this is just to show how the changes in the scale of values would affect the scores).

YuNa's LP score would be 143.95. This season, to repeat or best that score she would have to receive the same GoEs/PCS AND add a triple loop. That's a bit challenging, especially for the first showing of the season. And of course this season she needs to change the jump layout in order not to Zayak herself. However, I think that even if she landed 3L and got + 3 GoE for every element, it would be very hard for her to break the 150 treshold - unless she skates perfectly and the judges start handing out high nines/tens for PCS or something. cat

Just for fun: the highest possible score for a skater without 3A, with a full set of triples, no edge calls/URs, and 2A-3T, 3F, 3Lz and 2A in the second half would be 164,7 IF the skater would receive all lvl4s and +3 GoE from EVERY judge on EVERY element, AND a 10 for EVERY program component. (Sorry for the caps. That's just to stress how HUGE an achievement that would be. Laugh )

Thanks, Okami. Very interesting to read. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:00 am

kawaiimao wrote:
Okami wrote:

As clovera said while I was busy calculating ( clown ), it would be very difficult for a skater without a triple axel.

For visualisation's sake, I calculated YuNa's LP score at the Olympics using this season's rules (RE: base values, GoEs, spirals. I kept the same jump layout though, this is just to show how the changes in the scale of values would affect the scores).

YuNa's LP score would be 143.95. This season, to repeat or best that score she would have to receive the same GoEs/PCS AND add a triple loop. That's a bit challenging, especially for the first showing of the season. And of course this season she needs to change the jump layout in order not to Zayak herself. However, I think that even if she landed 3L and got + 3 GoE for every element, it would be very hard for her to break the 150 treshold - unless she skates perfectly and the judges start handing out high nines/tens for PCS or something. cat

Just for fun: the highest possible score for a skater without 3A, with a full set of triples, no edge calls/URs, and 2A-3T, 3F, 3Lz and 2A in the second half would be 164,7 IF the skater would receive all lvl4s and +3 GoE from EVERY judge on EVERY element, AND a 10 for EVERY program component. (Sorry for the caps. That's just to stress how HUGE an achievement that would be. Laugh )

Thanks, Okami. Very interesting to read. Thank you!

Thanks too Okami! Interesting and encouraging for Mao rooters, indeed. Yep!

According to Japanese articles after 4CC, Miki has admitted she is preparing to go for 3-3 at Worlds. If she manages that in her SP, along with a clean performance of her monsterous FP with 5 jumps in the latter half, her scores will go way higher at Worlds. But in Miki's case, Morozov seems to prefer taking the safe course so she might have to change to 3-2 in the last minute.

Mao seems very eager for Worlds after recovering her confidence in 4CC. She has spoken to the media upon returning to Japan, that since she managed 2nd place this time, her next step can only be to aim for 1st. It seems according to some articles, that both Sato and his wife had persuaded her to drop her strong cares for jumping 3As three times. It seems she'll be sticking to two 3As at Worlds too, one in SP and one in FP. This change resulted in including a 2A-3 combo in her FP, and Mao said she wants to perfect it so she won't be getting a UR next time. She's also practicing 3-3s, and mentioned that she'd like to include it 'when it's ready'. She also commented that with Yuna coming back, next Worlds will probabaly be a competition very enjoyable for viewers, and everybody will be thinking 'how will it all turn out?'.

I don't know what sort of layouts Yuna has ready, but I assume that anybody who really wants to win the World title, would have to come up with a pro to beat Miki at her best. I'm not sure if Miki can perform as well as she did in 4CC, but if she does along with a 3-3, she's going to be really tough to beat. So, although I expect Sato to be extremely careful in deciding which Mao should do, I hope her 3-3 will be ready by Worlds. If not, in order to beat Miki's pros, Mao will need both 3As to be perfect with tons of +GOEs pouring on them to say the least. I admire Sato for being cautious, and bringing Mao's abilities back in such short a period, but I hope he calculates carefully and if there are needs, he'd allow her to take certain risks. Whether Miki jumps a 3-3 in her SP, how much she scores as a result, and the her skating order in FP will most likely effect everyone else's layouts I think. Should Miki be the one to skate last in FP, I suppose all the girls will have to go with their difficult layout version and try to skate to their extreme best.

I can already feel the tension growing in me...better have an ambulance waiting in front of my house while I watch Worlds... Sweatdrop

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

Location : Somewhere drinking hot chocolate on a cold winter day =]

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:41 am

I didn't know that Pang & Tong were skating to Liebestraume this season! It's interesting to see a pairs version of it.

I think it's very sweet, especially considering that Pang & Tong are engaged in real life. I love you flower

Their GPF performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntGJwoX58bw
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
I don't know what sort of layouts Yuna has ready, but I assume that anybody who really wants to win the World title, would have to come up with a pro to beat Miki at her best. I'm not sure if Miki can perform as well as she did in 4CC, but if she does along with a 3-3, she's going to be really tough to beat. So, although I expect Sato to be extremely careful in deciding which Mao should do, I hope her 3-3 will be ready by Worlds. If not, in order to beat Miki's pros, Mao will need both 3As to be perfect with tons of +GOEs pouring on them to say the least. I admire Sato for being cautious, and bringing Mao's abilities back in such short a period, but I hope he calculates carefully and if there are needs, he'd allow her to take certain risks. Whether Miki jumps a 3-3 in her SP, how much she scores as a result, and the her skating order in FP will most likely effect everyone else's layouts I think. Should Miki be the one to skate last in FP, I suppose all the girls will have to go with their difficult layout version and try to skate to their extreme best.

I am going to side with Sato on this one. Wink I think what's most important for Mao now is to stabilize her jumps so she won't get URs as often in the future. As we know, UR's are so costly in this system and it's the thing that hinder Mao from scoring her potential on her layouts. I'll also love to see Mao bring back her 3-3 in competition but if she's not ready, it's only going to hurt her scores. Mao already has a very competitive layout. If she is able to skate it cleanly, she shouldn't have a problem in terms of TES. If Mao is able to complete her program with just one edge call and no URs (cuz it's still too soon for her lutz I think), I'll be very happy, even if she doesn't win.

On a side note, a lot of the avatars are not appearing on the forum. Is anyone else having the same problem? scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 am

aoi88 wrote:

I am going to side with Sato on this one. Wink I think what's most important for Mao now is to stabilize her jumps so she won't get URs as often in the future. As we know, UR's are so costly in this system and it's the thing that hinder Mao from scoring her potential on her layouts. I'll also love to see Mao bring back her 3-3 in competition but if she's not ready, it's only going to hurt her scores. Mao already has a very competitive layout. If she is able to skate it cleanly, she shouldn't have a problem in terms of TES. If Mao is able to complete her program with just one edge call and no URs (cuz it's still too soon for her lutz I think), I'll be very happy, even if she doesn't win.

On a side note, a lot of the avatars are not appearing on the forum. Is anyone else having the same problem? scratch

Yep, alot of blank avatars for me too. And it's happening in our Japanese forum using the same system, so I guess it's Forumotion's side which has a problem.

I also pretty much agree with what you've wrote aoi, esp the importance of Mao getting no more URs. Once they start seeing a skater constantly URing, the judges will become prejudiced and become more strict towards that skater concerning jumps. We've all seen that happening with Mirai for a while, Mao should not give that sort of impression to the judges anymore. In that sense, I do agree that she should stabilize her jumps prior to anything. But on the other hand, I think Mao may try to do both at the same time; complete the jumps she has now, plus try getting her 3-3 ready by Worlds. She said in an interview that within the time left till Worlds, she will try to 'make 5 levels of progress, or even try for 10 levels' (direct translation).

I know that stabilizing her reformed jumps and also being somewhere on the podium would just about be what other skaters would be aiming for if they were in Mao's shoes. There'll always be next season and so on, so Mao shouldn't push herself into too much nor take extreme risks just to win this one. But I don't think that's the way Mao's brain works. If Sato doesn't allow her to, she'll stick to her 3-2 I think, but she'll practice hard on her 3-3s as much as she can to make him allow her to challenge. This might be the last time she may be able to compete with Yuna, and her once greatest rival Miki climbing back to the top again...I think this year's Worlds has enough to heat up Mao's competitive eagerness. So, just like Dai went for 4F in Olys which most likely changed the color of his medal, and made alot of his rooters in ISU discussion board pointed out as 'crazy' and 'such a waste' etc., Mao may want to do something similar to that. I wouldn't want her to go for a 3-3 unless both she and Sato are sure she can manage it, but I still have a very strong impression that Mao is up to aiming for the center of the podium only...as always. Faint2

Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:39 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

I know that stabilizing her reformed jumps and also being somewhere on the podium would just about be what other skaters would be aiming for if they were in Mao's shoes. There'll always be next season and so on, so Mao shouldn't push herself into too much nor take extreme risks just to win this one. But I don't think that's the way Mao's brain works. If Sato doesn't allow her to, she'll stick to her 3-2 I think, but she'll practice hard on her 3-3s as much as she can to make him allow her to challenge. This might be the last time she may be able to compete with Yuna, and her once greatest rival Miki climbing back to the top again...I think this year's Worlds has enough to heat up Mao's competitive eagerness. So, just like Dai went for 4F in Olys which most likely changed the color of his medal, and made alot of his rooters in ISU discussion board pointed out as 'crazy' and 'such a waste' etc., Mao may want to do something similar to that. I wouldn't want her to go for a 3-3 unless both she and Sato are sure she can manage it, but I still have a very strong impression that Mao is up to aiming for the center of the podium only...as always. Faint2

Of course! Mao is such a fierce competitor. Kudos to Miki this season, but I also do want Mao to be on top of the podium! However, I think the more conservative approach may be better for her in the long run. We have to remember Mao's goal is Sochi and it's good for her to pace herself nicely this time. Because in the previous cycle, Mao may have peaked too early and became inconsistent the last two years. It's far more important for Mao to get stronger and stronger as we head towards Sochi.
Also, another reason why I hope Mao can achieve a skate with no URs is to dispel some of her critics who still keep on insisting she has made no improvement in her jumps. Rolling Eyes If you compare old videos of her skating to recent ones, it's very obvious that her technique on her flips and lutz has changed. She hasn't fixed the edge on the lutz but there's actually more to the jump than the edge. Her entrance to both jumps have changed and she doesn't raise her leg as high or bend as low as before. I think this is why her flips isn't as high anymore. I think someone here mentioned that Mao needs more speed into her flips because she now uses her whole body to jump. The technique itself has improved but it may not be as impressive in terms of height/distance because she is still a bit hesitant going into them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swan
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:56 pm

davis and white use part of mao's old exhibition music from 2008-2009 season. it makes me like davis and white's tango even more. i have mad love for them and hope they beat virtue and moir this world championships (if tessa is recovering) and next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esD61_GOM3c&NR=1
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:00 pm

aoi88 wrote:

If you compare old videos of her skating to recent ones, it's very obvious that her technique on her flips and lutz has changed. She hasn't fixed the edge on the lutz but there's actually more to the jump than the edge. Her entrance to both jumps have changed and she doesn't raise her leg as high or bend as low as before. I think this is why her flips isn't as high anymore. I think someone here mentioned that Mao needs more speed into her flips because she now uses her whole body to jump. The technique itself has improved but it may not be as impressive in terms of height/distance because she is still a bit hesitant going into them.

That's weird, because to my eyes, Mao's 3F's have gotten higher and have a better trajectory. I never thought "Wow" when I watched previous 3F's that Mao did, but recently, I have been thinking to myself "wow, that was a great 3F"
I do agree that she's more hesitant going into her jumps now, but that's understandable.

So I'm not sure if her 3F's gotten higher or lower. Or are they at a greater distance, but less height?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

Location : Somewhere drinking hot chocolate on a cold winter day =]

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:51 pm

sapphiresky wrote:
aoi88 wrote:

If you compare old videos of her skating to recent ones, it's very obvious that her technique on her flips and lutz has changed. She hasn't fixed the edge on the lutz but there's actually more to the jump than the edge. Her entrance to both jumps have changed and she doesn't raise her leg as high or bend as low as before. I think this is why her flips isn't as high anymore. I think someone here mentioned that Mao needs more speed into her flips because she now uses her whole body to jump. The technique itself has improved but it may not be as impressive in terms of height/distance because she is still a bit hesitant going into them.

That's weird, because to my eyes, Mao's 3F's have gotten higher and have a better trajectory. I never thought "Wow" when I watched previous 3F's that Mao did, but recently, I have been thinking to myself "wow, that was a great 3F"
I do agree that she's more hesitant going into her jumps now, but that's understandable.

So I'm not sure if her 3F's gotten higher or lower. Or are they at a greater distance, but less height?

Hmm, I think her flip during the 08-09 season and before had greater height, distance, and flow. She was able to do the 3F-3L then because of that, I believe. During the 09-10 season I think she was working on her technique so her flip got less height, flow, and distance and she was very slow before toe picking into the ice. This season though, her technique is much better and her flip definitely has more flow and height than last season, but I don't think it's as big as her flip before the 08-09 season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:23 pm

iceskatingfan wrote:
sapphiresky wrote:
aoi88 wrote:

Hmm, I think her flip during the 08-09 season and before had greater height, distance, and flow. She was able to do the 3F-3L then because of that, I believe. During the 09-10 season I think she was working on her technique so her flip got less height, flow, and distance and she was very slow before toe picking into the ice. This season though, her technique is much better and her flip definitely has more flow and height than last season, but I don't think it's as big as her flip before the 08-09 season.

Well, Nobuo Sato does want to teach Mao how to skate with more power and speed, but it'll be for the next season probably. That will affect her jumps in a positive way. I'm pretty excited to watch Mao's transformation for Sochi! I think she's off to a great start!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:50 pm

Okami wrote:
aoi88 wrote:
However, there's a part of me that wishes Mao will choose a more mind-blowing piece of music (Liebestraum is a bit too predictable) that will mesmerize the judges so much they'll forget any weaknesses she has. Smile

At first I was also a bit disappointed because by that time it was confirmed that Liebestraume was the second piece of music that TAT chose for Mao, so there was no real surprise value. But in the end I'm very happy that Mao chose this music, because IMHO Mao's LP will be remembered as THE Liebestraume. For me, it's the most beautiful lyrical program since Mao's Nocturne and Michelle's Lyra Angelica.
Plus, it seems like Mao feels really comfortable skating to it, and I think it's very important right now when she is still reworking her technique. Smile I would love for her to try new styles or to do an energetic program like "Caprice" one day, but I think it's important to stabilize her jumps first. Smile

Lieberstraume is a perfect fit for Mao although I must say, this year's tango still leaves me cold. I yearn for Mao's Por Una Cabeza days. Now that was tango! Vibrant energy! Dazzling steps! Passion and grace all rolled into one. Well, Agony Tango is more melancholic... I guess if Mao had a sort of "angrier" expression and less balletic movements, it would succeed as a program. Hopefully, Mao could still polish it before Worlds.

iceskatingfan wrote:

Yep!

We share the same thoughts. Mao's 3F is looking better and better, although in my eyes, she still has to work on the wobbly entrance and add some more height. But honestly speaking, I'm not expecting Mao to make all these big changes anytime soon- it's just not humanly possible! The fact that Mao shows remarkable improvement in such a short time is already a feat by itself. Some people might say how mediocre Mao is right now, but well, her situation already speaks by itself. I don't think anyone can do what she is doing, reforming her jumps and competing nationally and internationally at the same time. That's why I have so much expectations for Yuna for Worlds. The gold is hers to lose at this point, but Miki's her main competitor for now, not Mao. Mao is competing with herself here, trying to see whether she could push herself to the limit once again and grow technically and artistically stronger. That's why I'm looking forward to her performance and programs, not the color of the medal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:02 am

Like everyone, I agree that Mao's goals for this season should be focused on stabilizing her new jumps. I thought Czisny was doing a fine job with her new jumps, until she fell at 4CC, and that reminded me the reality of how much time it really takes to fix and stabilize new jumps. I guess even when you start landing them, that doesn't mean you've totally mastered them, hence most specialists say that it takes years to complete jump reformings. Sad

It's obvious that Mao isn't totally stable yet, and we all know she can do much better when she masters her new jumps completely, and is in good spirit and condition. After reading all the Japanese articles of what she said after 4CC, I kind of got carried away and think I've started wishing for more than she's actually capable of at this moment. Yep, Sadly

This Worlds being held in Japan, Yuna coming back, Miki becoming a great competitor again...I still hope Mao can manage a place on the podium, hopefully the middle, but I assume in order for that to happen, we'd need Yuna and Miki popping or falling on a few jumps...but I don't want that happening to them, and that wouldn't be the way Mao would want to win either.

Since I have read no positive info on how Yuna is doing, I'm not sure how she'll be doing at Worlds after her long absence. But if anyone can pass a whole season and still give a perfect performance at Worlds, I'm sure it could only be Yuna. She may not be in the best of her conditions due to her long absence, but I can't imagine a podium without her on it somewhere. As for Miki, I think maybe she might have reached her peak this season just a month too early at 4CC, and that might lead her to make some mistakes at Worlds. But I don't think 1 or 2 mistakes would lead her into a meltdown like she used to when she was younger. Even if she loses some points if she does make mistakes, I think she'll get hold of herself and try to get them back in the rest of her pros. I think Miki has become that much strong an athlete mentally over the years. The 3rd skater in for the podium if not Mao, I think would be Czisny or Kostner with her 3-3 back in shape. But in their cases, they'd have to skate really clean since except for Czisny's spins, they don't have a strong scoring source like Miki's 5 jumps in the latter half of her FP. Yuna will be given scores for who she is in PCS, even if her techs go a little low.

I don't really think there's room for Kanako on th podium this time, unless the others bomb out. Kanako had been achieving quite high PCS throughout the season, but the judges are getting used to seeing Miki's mature performing style, Mao's magic coming back, and of course Yuna will definitely show the difference of their levels compared to Kanako. Up until Nats Kanako had the most power and eagerness to medal, but her seniors have highered up their peaks aimed directly towards Worlds. Kanako is entering 2 minor national competitions before Worlds so to make adjustments, but I fear she might be exhausted by the end of next month.

Anyway, sorry for babbling on and on. My dream podium for Worlds 2011 would be Mao in the middle (of course!) with Miki and Czisney by her side. But getting a bit more real, I think Miki in the middle with Yuna and Mao by her side would be what we'll be seeing. Smile

Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:28 am

I don't agree with you klarification I think mao has very good chances to winn worlds even with her still reforming her jumps... the way mao has performed at nationals and at 4cc just proves that since even with that little time mao had become quite stronger when it comes to her jumps as well as more confident... and the progress she is maaking from each competition is huge... so I personaly really expect mao to give it her all and skate two diffecult as well as beautiful programms and do her magic on the ice... when it comes too miki she has had a strong season so far, but i think she has peaked at 4cc and when it comes to kim well we never know with her since she hasn't competet for a whole year, so i really don't expect two see two clean programms from her, and even if she does i don't think it's
going to be enough with her old jump layout that isn't worth as much as last year.
and with changes mao has made the chances look good...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:52 am

http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20110222-00000301-sportiva-spo

The article above writes about how Mao and Miki's conditions were during and after 4CC. I've translated only the quotes from Mao, Sato and his wife Kumiko. The writer adds to their words that although Mao's lutz lost points because of wrong edge, it was only slightly wrong this time so that's good, but Mao must also work on the 2 jumps which she got URs. But on the whole, it seems the writer got the impression that all was heading in a good way for Mao.

Mao: In yesterday's SP, I didn't succeed because my emotions were too strongly affected by wanting to jump, but today I was able to control my feelings. I haven't seen the videos yet, but I think it was the best 3A I've done eversince I arrived here so it should lead me in a good way towards Worlds...so I'd give 100 points for my 3A today.

Kumiko Sato: For this competition, we've aimed at succeeding her 3A and lutz, so we avoided the 3-3, but I think we've cleared the first level.

Sato: Mao has been practicing the lutz over and over eversince Nats, and I think she's making progress little by little because of her efforts.

Mao: From right after Nats, I've focused on practicing the lutz from doubles very carefully, and I feel it's rooting inside me, so I hope I can jump a 3L with the same feeling. Since my 3A went well I can now move on to Worlds with a good feeling, but I've found other problems which I need to clear, so it'll be important for me to work on them too.

Mao: It's been a while since I've jumped a 2A-3T, but I did so because it was going well in practice, and if I continue jumping it I believe I can master the combo. I also feel that practicing 3-3s are important too, so once I get a hold of it, I'm planning to include them in my pros as well.

Sato: We'll see how the 3-3 turns out until the last minute, and make the right decision. But as for the performances themselves, I think we need a bit more power and vigor.

------------------------------------------------

Sorry if somebody already introduced this article. But these are the kind of articles on Mao the media has been writing after 4CC in Japan. That's why I can't help getting my hopes up for Worlds. Mao has always said eversince she started reforming her jumps that she wants to complete the process by Worlds. Plus she has stated in another interview which I think I've introduced here before, that she has never thought about 'sacrificing' this nor any other season for the sake of preparing for Sochi. Whatever condition she's in, she had and will always compete to win. She's never aiming for 2nd or 3rd. As long as Mao herself is like that, we shouldn't give up on her victory whatever the odds are. Plus I also agree with ballerinamao that we really don't know anything about Yuna's condition. Her agents or coach seems to have been repeating that she's doing well towards Worlds, but I haven't seen any practicing videos to prove that, and eversince like 2 seasons ago, I've never heard Yuna's side saying her condition isn't good. According to them, it seems as if Yuna is always in perfect condition, but that can't be true. So while I think Yuna is still a strong candidate for becoming world queen of 2011, I only assume so from her past performances only. Not on solid info that she still has her dynamic 3-3s etc. So I don't think there's any logic in thinking Yuna has a higher chance of winning Worlds than Mao. Now Miki is a different story of course, but not Yuna.

Btw, if Yuna wins in the coming Worlds, I personally think she might retire afterwards. I've thought about it alot, and I'm kind of surprised at myself, but I actually don't want her to retire. I hate all the stupid low levelled fan wars, but I still enjoy watching Mao and Yuna compete. The 2 of them made the past few seasons so exciting for all FS fans, and if Miki can compete like she's been doing this season at her age, it means Yuna is simply far too young to retire. So yeah...this is another reason I'd really want Mao to win this one, beating Yuna into lighting the competitive fire inside her again and forget about retiring. If we keep on having top levelled skaters retiring after winning an OGM however young they are, it's just going to make more and more people think that skaters reach their peaks during their teens, and many skaters who would've had success in the future will also start retiring right after they reach 20 thinking their peak is done. Arakawa retiring after Torino, that was understandable for me, cause I thought that was her limit. But Yuna getting out of the picture at this point would be a waste. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 am

According to a poster from GS who claims to have seen Yuna's programs, she looks to be quite fit. So who knows. But based on previous experiences, she does quite well at debuting her programs. But most of all, her programs this year esp her LP is one of those that can be one of those emotional skates if done clean. I don't think she'll run away with the title, but she's always a formidable opponent.

I'm with you Pochi! I don't really want her to retire so soon. It's definitely less exciting with her out of the field.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:46 am

Sorry ballerinamao and Pochi if I sounded negative, I didn't mean to sound that way. I guess I was being as realistic as possible, but with the "Mao factor" all predictions can be gone with the wind!Laughing

You know, I never said that I never wanted gold for Mao. In truth, I'll be really really happy as a fan if she wins Worlds and I'll probably be dancing like a drunk outside our house if that happens. But I'm more interested in what kind of performance she will bring out. Placements and the like are important and I know that Mao is a competitive spirit who aims for No. 1 regardless of her condition, but I'm sure you all understand the emotional journey Mao and us fans have to go through during this season. So even with Mao not winning, or not even in the podium, no matter how loud the critics get, I would still root for her because I know that the road to victory isn't ultimately the easiest one.

And as a fan, I do not want to focus too much on Miki or Yuna. Miki's having a great year and Yuna is the favorite (at least in online forums) to reign in Worlds but most of my energy is focused in supporting Mao to have a program that will satisfy herself. So if you found me such a downer, forgive me guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:39 am

klarification wrote:
Placements and the like are important and I know that Mao is a competitive spirit who aims for No. 1 regardless of her condition, but I'm sure you all understand the emotional journey Mao and us fans have to go through during this season. So even with Mao not winning, or not even in the podium, no matter how loud the critics get, I would still root for her because I know that the road to victory isn't ultimately the easiest one.

Of course you would. There's no need to apologize to me, klarification!
I think most of us are hoping Mao would win, but in reality it might not happen...so we're trying to root for her victory, but are trying to come up with a way to see the bright side of things should she not win. We've seen her suffer alot this season which means we've suffered too, so although I want to shout 'Go Mao!' believing the gold medal will be hers, I fear how much I'll be disappointed and sad if it doesn't work out like that. If Mao skates clean and can be satisfied with her performances, basically that's all I need, just the same as you. But I guess it's because we've seen her suffer so much; putting alot of effort into her jumps being reformed, ranking low in competitions because of that, and having the Korean press writing articles on how she's nothing but a medicore skater now...I so wish she can make the middle of the podium just once in the end of this season. Drama!

I also had mistaken her intensions concerning the jump reforming at first...I totally believed that Mao was ready to sacrifice this season for Sochi. And when I found out she never considered that, I felt so bad. Since I misunderstood her, I was mostly hoping she'd just be able to land a jump or two by the end of this season. That's all I thought she can manage, but after Nats and 4CC, I found out I was obviously wrong, she can do much more than that now, so I'm trying to shift my attitude into a real positive one for Worlds, and stop trying to act positive about the negative results mode. Hope you know what I mean... Wink

In order to try and stay positive, I prefer to focus on Miki as Mao's main rival at Worlds this year. Mao and we all know what Miki is capable of, and what she might even be more capable of by next month. Mao will try everything she can to beat a clean Miki, and I think that's a good way to prepare for Worlds, rather than imagining how powerful Yuna has become during all this practice time and focusing too much on her. We have no idea what Yuna will be pulling out of her hat, and although I think whatever it is will be extremely good, I find no reason to believe that her performances will be better than what we've seen in Vancouver. And since the rules have changed since then, even if she can skate like she did at Olys, logically she won't be able to get the same scores. But according to the media, team Yuna says she's not putting any new elements in her pros this season, but they'll rather be more of a summarizing of what she's achieved thoroughout the years. Yuna also mentioned in an interview that she wants to skate freely not having to have to worry too much about scores and rankings, but that she wants to enjoy skating...something like that. So with no new elements in the pros, no mention of what changes they've made to adapt to the new rules, and Yuna saying she wants to skate for joy.....it's hard for me to feel that she's really up to competiting again. She definitely didn't sound like she was blood thirsty for the World title. Rolling Eyes

So I'd say...whatever Yuna has ready for us, Mao and Miki and all the other girls who've been competing throughout the season are one step ahead of her towards the gold. Not just Mao and Miki, but Kostner, Korpi, Czisny, Flatt...and even Kanako are all aiming seriously for the win. Without that sort of strong hunger, it's not going to be so easy to make the middle of the podium I think. Disappointed

Anyway, that's why I couldn't understand why some people would think that Yuna would be the one and only main event in next Worlds, that's all. silent

Back to top Go down
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:39 am

I want Mao or Yuna to win this Worlds, I don't think I will be fine with other winners, well, if it's going to be fair victory then yes. It seems to me that Miki is already a favourite to win Worlds. I can't say I agree with this.

I want Mao to be satisfied with her skating at Worlds, no matter what place it's going to be. She decided to go through a very hard time and she already has done so much. Same with Yuna. I think she just tired of all that expectations, she just want to skate for herself. But I don't see Yuna retiring soon, she's too young and can show us so many different characters. I love Yuna and Mao competing together, for me this is the most exciting thing ever. Many Hearts

Pochi, it's not about Yuna being the one and only main event in next Worlds, it's more like people miss her and after Olys season became a total splatfest that Alissa won a GPF, could you imagine it then? Too sweet!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:52 pm

iceskatingfan wrote:
sapphiresky wrote:
aoi88 wrote:

Mao's jumps had the best height & distance during the 07-08 season. It's no surprise that this was the season Mao had the most challenging layouts of her career (two 3-3 combos and one 3A). Since then, Mao's jumps have become more and more strained. She started having issues with getting her 3-3 combo ratified during the 08-09 season. And she has said that last season, in order to get more height, she had to bend lower when she goes into her jumps. I think what happened is that her old technique became more of a problem as she got older. She had to really strain herself to attain the height in her jumps, thus her jumps didn't seem to have much flow. Now, her jumps appear less strained than last season but they still haven't regain the height that she had during her jumping prime. However, the beautiful 3A we saw in her LP showed us a glimpse of the potential. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:24 pm

I was re-watching Mao's performance for about the 50th time Smile and the thing that really stood out to me was the improvement in the way she moved her entire body to interpret the music. Mao has always had great posture, line, flexibility, positioning, etc., but she never really expressed with up, down, and side to side movements, with the exception of her footwork in 07/08 and 08/09 SP. I really like the way she uses her entire body to interpret the music, and I think it will be reflected more in her scores at worlds.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next