HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Artistry

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 am

I think the SP needs more fire, some changes in choreography/timing. I love Schnittke and this piece of music also, but it isn't as GRAND and openly moving as, (cough), Giselle, for example, in my personal opinion. Therefore, she needs to spice it up to make up for the seriousness and the unsentimental nature of this piece... hope she can do it, given the tremendous distractions of the tragic events during these weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polly10

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am

^i think mao has her own interpretation.. and personally i like it! and i love the new costume!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 am

I think the problem lies in the choreography makeup of the program. The spin elements are not timed well with the music. When the music becomes more dramatic, Mao is still spinning. I agree with what other posters have said. Tango has a lot of quick movements, so timing is crucial. I also think the step sequence is a bit long. Even though her intricate steps are cool, I think it may be better if they take out some of the movements so that she can pick up more speed. I think the effect would be 10x better if Mao had more speed in her step sequence.
Tony Wheeler said that if Mao brought the intensity she showed in "Bells" to her SP, then it could become very effective. I tend to agree with him here.

Last edited by aoi88 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 am

The 3A in the SP is a great change, especially for Mao, but she'll miss something in terms of transitions and choreography, since it takes much more preparation to do a 3A than a 2A of course, so the first half of the program looks a bit empty, I mean, jump-after-jump. She needs a more CoP-friendly coach more than ever IMO. Not that Tat isn't able, but she doesn't seem to be at her best recently for competitive programs.

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:00 am

alyssa wrote:
The 3A in the SP is a great change, especially for Mao, but she'll miss something in terms of transitions and choreography, since it takes much more preparation to do a 3A than a 2A of course, so the first half of the program looks a bit empty, I mean, jump-after-jump. She needs a more CoP-friendly coach more than ever IMO. Not that Tat isn't able, but she doesn't seem to be at her best recently for competitive programs.

I agree. I am not too fond of front-loading jumps in a program. I remember Mao did a triple loop toward the end of her Wizard of Oz SP when she was a junior. I thought it was pretty daring way to end her program. But perhaps Mao needs to be more confident with her jumps to attempt that in the SP again. I think it might be good if Mao goes to a CoP-savvy choreographer who usually works with male skaters, because they are used to designing SPs that include a triple axel. A lot of male skaters do difficult jumps without sacrificing transitions/choreography, so it's possible to have both in the short program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dani-Chan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 am

Like a Star @ heaven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_k3Qst33I
Like a Star @ heaven http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5P3PMnWfQU&feature=related

(via @bluepeter)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aibhlin
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:56 am

Thank you for posting the links, Dani-Chan.

I guess I'm in the minority but I really like Mao's programs this year (imho they are both clearly a step over Bells II). I agree Mao seemed nervous when she skated her SP in Taiwan but due to her jumping problems earlier in the season, perhaps this was only natural? It's really sad that she won't get to perform in front of her home audience but at least it will give her time to refine everything. I just hope she and all the other skaters don't wear themselves out. They need rest for the coming season too.

The thing is, while I love some of Tat's programs, has she ever done a CoP-friendly SP? Even Mao's amazing Fantasia SP had frontloaded jumps (or so I remember). And transitions seem to really count for a lot in today's fs world (I've read that even GoE on jumps can be influenced on steps directly before or after jumps).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:30 am

Aibhlin wrote:

The thing is, while I love some of Tat's programs, has she ever done a CoP-friendly SP? Even Mao's amazing Fantasia SP had frontloaded jumps (or so I remember). And transitions seem to really count for a lot in today's fs world (I've read that even GoE on jumps can be influenced on steps directly before or after jumps).

I don't think so. I loved Fantasia SP so the frontloading didn't bother me so much. It always puzzles me why TAT and Mao never thought of making Por Una Cabeza into a competitive program. That tango suited Mao perfectly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 am

aoi88 wrote:
Aibhlin wrote:

I don't think so. I loved Fantasia SP so the frontloading didn't bother me so much. It always puzzles me why TAT and Mao never thought of making Por Una Cabeza into a competitive program. That tango suited Mao perfectly.
I 100 % agree with you. Fantasia sp is my favourite Mao's program ever and I love, love Tango exhibition! I've been wondering for a long time why TAT didn't turn it into a competitive program. This tango could be the best tango program!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:28 am

Tat was great in showing how Mao was brilliant during her EX! -
Por Una Cabeza and Caprice to cite!
When I heard she was doing a tango for her SP -
I was like "omg Por Una is back on track!"

I was slightly disappointed... silent
Frankly -
What we need Mao to do is express herself...
She tends to get somewhat lost in the jumps :s
Watch her EX - she is alive!
Her face is beaming and her body screams that she is made for skating!
Its just that during her SP - she tends to be very traditional! -
Concentrated - Focussed - which makes her more nervous...-_

[I tend to notice - its somewhat of a skating culture - To be very serious - do classical pros - use music judges like to listen - Its somewhat more obvious among Japanese skaters - But I feel they should try implementing changes - I mean look at Kim - She did something different and judges like it - This is what sets you apart! - Mao has her 3A to set her apart - Her FP is what she does the best this season - She just needs something special in her SP!]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 am

polosatik wrote:
aoi88 wrote:
Aibhlin wrote:

I 100 % agree with you. Fantasia sp is my favourite Mao's program ever and I love, love Tango exhibition! I've been wondering for a long time why TAT didn't turn it into a competitive program. This tango could be the best tango program!

Yeah! The lavender steps were simply marvelous! I remember watching it in repeat for 14 consecutive times! Razz

Well anyway, I wonder what you mean by CoP-friendly SP Aibhlin? I think I can get it, but could you please specify? I know Mao loses a lot of time (and points) because of the choreo, but in the Tango SP, is it that serious? Is it one of the factors why this program is- dare I say it?- a little less appealing than what is expected?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:49 pm

klarification wrote:
polosatik wrote:
aoi88 wrote:
Aibhlin wrote:

Yeah! The lavender steps were simply marvelous! I remember watching it in repeat for 14 consecutive times! Razz

Well anyway, I wonder what you mean by CoP-friendly SP Aibhlin? I think I can get it, but could you please specify? I know Mao loses a lot of time (and points) because of the choreo, but in the Tango SP, is it that serious? Is it one of the factors why this program is- dare I say it?- a little less appealing than what is expected?

I don't think that's the case. A CoP-friendly program doesn't necessarily mean it's a good program. Unfortunately, there's plenty of examples of these type of programs under this system. My main problem with this program is that the elements don't match the music. The timing of the program is a little off. In fact, I actually think the timing of her Masquerade SP was better, but there was just so much you can do with that repetitive music. Her tango this year has more potential but the program needs some reworking. I do agree that Mao also needs to loosen her nerves in her SP but I think if they didn't frontload all the jumps, she may be able to relax a bit. You see she only relaxes after she is done with her last jumping pass in the program. However, in the SP, once you finish the jumps, almost half of the program is already done, so it becomes a serious issue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aibhlin
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 pm

I actually really like the programs this year, klarification. Smile

Though I am very far from an expert, I would say that regarding Tarasova, it's my instinct when I watch many of her competitive programs from recent years that she choreographs them around the jumps and elements sometimes (depending on the strength of the skater in question). There are those beautiful programs like Fantasia as well, but others seem to lack a bigger form of coherence and idea. And I don't get the feeling she always "tailors" the program according to CoP (like I sometimes get with other choreographers, whether that is good or not). She could for instance include more steps or transitions and balance her programs more in terms of jumps spread throughout. More difficult entries/exits to elements. Also, sometimes I find in her programs that the music editing is not used to its full potential to bring about a meaningful (not repetitive) story or choreography. CoP is essentially about who can get the most points (sorry for sounding redundant) and so I think it would be in skaters' interest to maximize the points (bonus) they can get by following the system. There seem to be rule changes every season though (like how a few years ago the ugly pairs catchfoot death spiral suddenly became more rewarded) but our National commentator (who actually knows even less than I, believe it or not) sometimes chastises skaters and tells them "to go study the rule book" when the expert commentator next to him notices some thing a particular skater could have done to gain more points. I don't think it's a question of "losing" points, more so that I think her students could gain more if they had a more balanced program. Of course, we don't know how her programs look completely before the student performs them. For example, I've read that skaters often dumb down Lori Nichol choreography to the point that all Nichol choreo has started to look the same.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 pm

I agree with Aoi. The timing is not ok, to the point of having to remove those gorgeous twizzles at the end Sad Also my first impression was the "jump-after-jump" moves very similar to Masquerade. Now that she's eliminated the 3-3, they should add something in between 3A/3Lo, and 3Lo/3F-2Lo, unless they still plan to add it, which I doubt.

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:16 am

well I have a feeling that mao might want to add 3-3 since has begun practicing it again..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 am

I have a good feeling - she'll go for the 3-3!

FRANKLY - I watched all her 2008 pros
and she was like the queen of 3-3!
1 in her SP - 2 in her FP along with a 3A!
It was like an arsenal of jumps...
As soon with Tat - She just stopped doing 3-3! Crying or Very sad

I hope she gets back this jump and tries it - (maybe she should have tried it at 4cc - practice sake!)
Let's hope Mao has a rockin layout!

[worlds in 1 month in Moscow! I wish Tat could help Mao with her choreography!]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm

I miss Mao's 3/3's too but I think it is the FS where she's going to try it because she was practicing them during the FS warmup at 4CC.

On a side note, there's a poll at FSU asking for the best skater in recent times and Mao needs more votes! If you have an account there, please vote for her. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3121677#post3121677
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:20 pm

how do you vote? just writing the name?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:51 pm

jkblues wrote:

You need to register for a FSU account first and then you'll see the poll.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:57 pm

aoi88 wrote:
jkblues wrote:

You need to register for a FSU account first and then you'll see the poll.

thanks, i just needed to confrim from my email account to finish the regristration.
but it seems like the votation is closed or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am

Okay, reading your comments Aoi and Aibhlin, I can pretty much say that I agree with the things you have said. I think that as fans, we don't just blindly accept what Mao dishes out, we can be objective critics too. Very Happy

With that being said, I also echo MaoChan756's thought about TAT helping Mao tweak the choreography. Some elements are just awkwardly out of place. Mao of course is as fluid as ever, but I think not landing the 3A sometimes gets to her, so we can't see her fully relax until the step sequence. Also, the bit about skaters "dumbing down" Lori's work... Wow. Here I was thinking that Lori just lost her steam over the years, but I guess it's up to the skater to make a brilliant choreography really shine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerinamao
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:27 pm

i TOTALLY AGREE with you klarification since mao's nocturne, clair de lune, libestraum are simply magical I really LOVE lori's nicols programs, and mao really knows how to highlight it. and the reason why mao simply interprets the music so well is because it this light feathery programs just fit her, and her own taste and tempo very well. where with tarasova, it really differs, there is masterpieces like orchestra of violin and bells of moscow and her gourges galas like ballede, capriss, 2009 tango... it's just sometimes shows when tarasova hasto hurry to make a program since she sometimes doesn't use many details, but well even without I still adore mao's short since mao makes every program shine....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 pm

I think next season Mao should stick to Lori, or perhaps have someone new for one of her programs, like Kenji. Tat could keep choreographing her EX. Perfect team. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
KariDebate
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:28 pm

alyssa wrote:
I think next season Mao should stick to Lori, or perhaps have someone new for one of her programs, like Kenji. Tat could keep choreographing her EX. Perfect team. Very Happy

i want yuka sato to choreograph mao...that would literally be a dream....and then maybe someone like stephane lambiel

linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:36 am

Mao's new comment about worlds.

浅田真央(中京大学)
「今、日本はとても大変な状況の時ですが、世界選手権の開催が決定しましたので、日本代表選手として、
自分の力を出し切る目標を持って頑張ります。一日も早い被災地の復興を願っています。
そして、日本に元気を与えられる様な良い演技をしたいと思います。」

Although Japan is in extremely difficult time, since it's been officially announced that the world championships will be held, I will do my best with a goal of exerting all my strength, as a member of team Japan. I sincerely hope the earliest possible recovery of the affected areas. Iím determined to deliver good performances that will help lift the spirits of people in Japan.

(Source: IMG website)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!   

Back to top Go down

Mao News - The 2010-2011 Season!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 39 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next