HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Quotes about Mao

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Quotes about Mao   Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 am

I want to start a thread where we can gather all the quotes said about Mao by commentators, other current skaters, or upcoming young skaters. I think it will be a form of introduction to new fans of Mao and it can also be a good source of information to use for creating montages, tributes, etc for Mao in the future.

I'll start with a few:

"Asada’s skating has a quiet innocence that I find appealing. There’s no attitude, just skating. Her movement is graceful and lyrical as
well, and her connection to the music is great."(Elvis Stojiko)
http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/figure_skating/news?slug=es-womentowatch022310

"The only woman in the world who can do a clean triple Axel – she’s amazing."(Joannie Rochette)
http://www.intro2u.net/new/2010/01/figure-skating-squad/

"She takes my breath away!"(Peggy Flemming)

Feel free to add more Many Hearts

Last edited by aoi88 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:55 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Great idea aoi88
Very Happy

Dick Button- " I must say I think she's a marvelous and wonderful skater, one of the best I've seen in many, many ( I think he said years but not sure because peggy started talking Razz)". (2006 SP SA)

Peggy Flemming: " She just takes my breath away. Her jumps were effortless, you could relax and watch (2006 SP SA)

British commentator: "just amazing... WOW..." - about the program, and about her 3A: "just textbook"!!! (2008 NHK Trophy, FS)

Peggy Flemming: "She became that music" (SA 2006 SP)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
klarification
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 am

"Even if I skate perfectly and Mao-chan makes a mistake...I don't think I'll be able to catch up to her. It's like the difference between heaven and earth. I'll do my best to lessen the distance though." - Murakami Kanako. It's so obvious how much she idolizes Mao. Mushy Love
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bellarina
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:09 pm

Great idea, aoi88!!

"Kids at home, record this. How many times have we seen skaters miss the first jump in their program in practice, stop the music, and try again? This is how it's done. [...] The great Japanese champion, Mao Asada." ~Kurt Browning, commenting on her 2008 Worlds free program (where she fell on the first triple axel but went on to do the rest of her program perfectly)

"But she got up and kept going and I thought, ‘She is going to do it.’ If there is anyone who is mentally strong, it is Mao.” ~Jeff Buttle, also talking about her 2008 Worlds free program
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sapphiresky
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:25 am

I really like your idea Aoi88!

After World Championships 2010:

"Happy with my result Smile On the other hand Mao Asada is an absolute LEGEND!!
-Cheltzie Lee's (Australian Figure Skater) Facebook Status
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:41 am

"Mao’s beauty is the transparency just like a breeze, isn’t it?" (Machiko-sensei, Mao's former coach)

http://kumaneko037.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-72.html

"Mao is a fairy, Kana's a human" (Machiko)

http://kumaneko037.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-84.html

"She's a fairy" (TAT)

http://kumaneko037.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-25.html

Both of her former coaches see Mao as a fairy. Wub

Last edited by aoi88 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mirai
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 am

"She was born to be a multiple world champion." Gotta love those British commentators. cheers

"Yuna who?" ROTFLMAO

Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 am

"She's a World treasure" Vasya Love Hearts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ericacsy

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Mirai wrote:
"She was born to be a multiple world champion." Gotta love those British commentators. cheers

"Yuna who?" ROTFLMAO

hahaha TOTALLY agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://moredistraction.tumblr.com/
europeanfan
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 am

"She's back on track. She behaves as if this big fall haven't happened, the mark of the champion" (British commentator 2008 Worlds, FS)

"Absolutely magnificent, there was no doubt in her mind, that programs is gonna be clean. Phenomenal" (British commentator 2007 Worlds, FS)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gurami
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:54 am

This is exactly the thread that I've been looking for! Thanks, aoi88, for starting this! Smile

As for me:

"She is a fighter; she is a tough competitor."

- Tara Lipinski, 2010 Worlds

...and a few others I have to look for first. Sweatdrop
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gurami
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:40 am

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I do have a question, though, and since we are in the topic of quotes, this may be the place I should ask this...

Anyway, uhh...I am actually very much intrigued by Pochi-san's sig. And since I really do not know who stated those words on her sig, does anyone here willing to help me out? Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
josling
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:03 am

‘‘Asada has a lot of guts. I’m amazed by her. I thought it would
definitely take longer for her to get out of her slump but this is a big
surprise. I feel there’s nothing to worry about with her now. She
really did a great job!’’ [Nobuo Sato]
Hell, no! Wub
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:58 am

"I’ve always admired Michelle Kwan and I’ve always admired Mao as well. She is the perfect definition of an athlete, because she is showing right now that she is in a bit of a slump, but she is working hard to get out of it" ~ Mirai Nagasu. Many Hearts

http://absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2010mirainagasu

Last edited by aoi88 on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:39 am

I love this remark by Tesuya Kumakawa, the famous Japanese ballet dancer, after he saw Mao's Chopin EX.

"From her performance, I felt she really loves skating and respects Chopin. She didn’t appeal to the audience but conversed with her figure skating. I was deeply touched by her skating style." ~ Tesuya Kumakawa

He summed up Mao's style of skating very well. Although her style may not be the crowd-pleasing type, I am often amazed by the intensity she displays as she immerses herself into her skating. Yep!

Translation of quote credited to Kinakinw at Tokyo Notebook. http://tnotebook.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-166.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:04 am

aoi88 wrote:
I love this remark by Tesuya Kumakawa, the famous Japanese ballet dancer, after he saw Mao's Chopin EX.

"From her performance, I felt she really loves skating and respects Chopin. She didn’t appeal to the audience but conversed with her figure skating. I was deeply touched by her skating style." ~ Tesuya Kumakawa

He summed up Mao's style of skating very well. Although her style may not be the crowd-pleasing type, I am often amazed by the intensity she displays as she immerses herself into her skating. Yep!

Translation of quote credited to Kinakinw at Tokyo Notebook. http://tnotebook.blog120.fc2.com/blog-entry-166.html

I really like what Tesuya Kumakawa said. I think it's unique quality of Mao. There are no other skaters who have such quality.

When Mao skates to Nocturne, So Deep is the Night, Ballade #1, Claire de Lune, she is ethereal. She is like a fairy who is dancing alone. She dances because she loves it and dancing makes her really happy. I feel as if we the audience are happen to be there by chance. It's very precious moment and we must remain silent because she'd disappear if she realizes someone is watching her.

Well, it'd sound silly fantasy to other people, but I really feel like that when I watch Mao. So, I'm so excited when I see her Liebestraum. This program too has a potential to maximize her unique quality.

I remember reading a post at a figure skating forum that Mao is skating to herself, not to the audience. I agree with that poster to some extent. I sometimes feel that way, too. But, it's depends on programs, music and choreography.

I hope Mao will try different kind of programs to show us a new side of her in the future as she did with Bells of Moscow last season. Maybe trying the crowd-pleasing programs would be nice. But, I do hope she will also keep performing programs that show us her unique style -- ethereal, fairy, pure, "transparent" (I don't know hot to put in English. It's 透明感 in Japanese Sweatdrop ), innocent, elegant characteristics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:55 am

linglang wrote:

When Mao skates to Nocturne, So Deep is the Night, Ballade #1, Claire de Lune, she is ethereal. She is like a fairy who is dancing alone. She dances because she loves it and dancing makes her really happy. I feel as if we the audience are happen to be there by chance. It's very precious moment and we must remain silent because she'd disappear if she realizes someone is watching her.

Well, it'd sound silly fantasy to other people, but I really feel like that when I watch Mao. So, I'm so excited when I see her Liebestraum. This program too has a potential to maximize her unique quality.

I feel the same way! To me, Mao gives out an other-worldly feeling whenever she skates. Perhaps, this unique quality of hers is also one reason why she is not always best suited to bring out the sensual and more worldly feelings conveyed in a lot of TAT's programs. On the other hand, her ability to convey innocence and the purest emotions are unparalled.
I feel Joe Hisaishi's work is perfect for Mao because his music has a nice balance of transparency and drama which will allow us to see a new side of Mao while retaining her unique quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KariDebate
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:57 pm

aoi88 wrote:
linglang wrote:

I feel the same way! To me, Mao gives out an other-worldly feeling whenever she skates. Perhaps, this unique quality of hers is also one reason why she is not always best suited to bring out the sensual and more worldly feelings conveyed in a lot of TAT's programs. On the other hand, her ability to convey innocence and the purest emotions are unparalled.
I feel Joe Hisaishi's work is perfect for Mao because his music has a nice balance of transparency and drama which will allow us to see a new side of Mao while retaining her unique quality.

I agree 100% i am waiting for the day when mao skates to Joe Hisaishi's Fragile dream...it would be phenomenal...

Aibhlin
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 am

"Mao, wow. Wow, Mao."

Don't know who said it (Dick Button) but it sounds so cool and it's what I often feel after watching her give a good performance. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitty

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:05 am

"... there's a lot pressure on her... but she has an air of confidence when you look at her face"

"Triple Flip-Triple Loop! Nicely done! I was found myself much harder to do a loop after a jump as opposed to a toe, it don't have ASSIST like you do in a toe jump. In a loop you have to land and go right back up in the same landing line, VERY difficult!"

"I love the fluidity in her skating, shifting from one thing to the next, with such ease in transition"

"Strong legs with such stamina! (I don't know where the muscles come from!)... What a great performance!"

-- Nancy Kerrigan, commentary for Mao's performance 2006 Japanese National FS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TejVKsatBLk

p.s. Hi Mirai, high five on the British commentary at 2010 Worlds: Mao is born to be a multiple champion! (Yu-Na who?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:27 am

I have a version of 2007 worlds - Canadian commentary!

0O the woman in the vid sounded almost septic (early fans of Yuna - who missed two jumps)
and then she says
"the stadium is about to erupt with the amount of applauses but she remains focused as she has a comb of 3 jumps... - Mao does the jumps - and she is like "OH MY GOODNESS"

I find that bone tingling!
Even if she committed some mistakes in that FP - I love Mao's 2007 FP!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Just discovered this great quote by Yuka Sato on Mao back in 2006. Smile

Quote :
"She's got a gift," Sato said. "She's got it all -- the style, the femininity, the classy look of a figure skater. And she's so charming."

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figureskating/columns/story?id=2639831

One from Armin Many Hearts

Quote :
"Mao is one of the skaters I most admire today," he said. "I decided to put them on Youtube as a little tribute to her. This year she
announced that she was skating to pieces I was working on. We have the same taste in music, I guess -- I think it's pretty cool! Maybe
she could see it some day. That would be fun."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101005&content_id=15424672&vkey=ice_news

And another one from Adam. I love you

Quote :
"Mao is such a beautiful skater," he said. "I've known her for a few years now, and she's always been so kind. I was so lucky to
have to chance to skate with her. When I watch her I sometimes feel she is above the ice because she is so light and quiet on her feet. I
think she will have a great season this year."
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100823&content_id=13815094&vkey=ice_news

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quotes about Mao   

Back to top Go down

Quotes about Mao
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1