HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 am

deleted

Last edited by jkblues on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:59 am

ballerinamao wrote:
does that mean that they for sure aren't going to hold worlds in japan?

i think for now, for what ive read, is not 100% sure it wont be at Japan, but they are still evaluating what to do, cancel, postpone or change the place to other country.

but im afraid they cancele it, i dont want that to happend, i want them to postpone it for two monhts or so and maybe being realistic it wont be posible to Japan to host the competitio even then, but maybe in two monhts if the nuclear situation is stable it will help japanese people to raise their souls.

so i really, really hope they whait to Japan for some months, japan is the land of the rising sun after all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks kawaiimao, Dani-Chan and pochi for the links.

I agree with you pochi. Korea will be a good option for relocating Worlds.

There are rinks in Kyushu Island (southern part of Japan) such as Papio and Aqua Dome Kumamoto. Japanese nationals and NHK trophy were held at those rinks in the past. But, I think it will be better to hold it outside of Japan. Skaters will feel unsafe and uneasy to compete in Japan.

Thanks snowdrops24 for Mao's message and the link. Her message is sensitive, caring and compassionate. I'm so happy to have read it.

Thanks bibi for the article link. I don't think the relocation will be disrespectful for the Japanese, although I don't know what JFS would think. Because a large part of the country is in unprecedented crisis, we don't have a choice but to ask kind supports from other countries. South Korea was one of the fastest to offer us their help. So, they may be kind enough to take over this event and carry out successfully.

I'm sure Japanese skaters will exert their potential to the full extent regardless the venue. Most Japanese are resilient and I believe our six contenders are too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:07 am

bibi wrote:
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/cinquanta-isu-must-decide-worlds-fate-within-three-or-four-days-.html

It's not fair to make such a decision after only 4 days. Evil or Very Mad

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:09 am

I think the decision to postpone the Worlds was the right one.

I feel bad for Miki, who decided to not take this season off especially because she wanted to perform before her home crowd; for Daisuke, who hoped wanted to win another World medal before having the surgery to remove the bolt from his knee (who knows how long it will take him to recover after that), for Nobu, who spent a long time in Canada away from his new family to diligently prepare for Worlds, for all the skaters who fought so hard to make their National teams. Depressed Crying It's a disappointing situation for those skaters (and their fans) who were to debut their programs at Worlds and training hard to peak exactly in late March.

But of course in the worst situation are those people who lost their homes and/or their loved ones. Sad

My prayers are with Japan! I hope that there will be no more dangerous earthquakes, and thet the damages will be repaired quickly.

snowdrops24 wrote:

One thing from the footages has struck me and my family: minimal close-ups/interviews of victims - a stark contrasts against the Sichuan earthquake footages we received before, which were filled with sounds/images of mourning, cries of anguish and grief.

Most of the clips were aerial shots of areas where the tsunami struck, flashes of sites to show the level of destruction and footages of rescue teams. Most of which are about the physical and infrastructural damage. Few footages show the victim's emotional response directly. Even when they do, it seemed they gave the victims the space and respect to prepare/contain themselves before hand. I wonder whether this is a deliberate act from the media to show respect to the victims?

There was a report on the Polish TV where the TV reporters praised the Japanese people's attitude. They said that they were suprised at how calm and collected the people were. They also interviewed some people from the area afflicted by tsunami, and they said that they of course feel heartbroken, but right now the most important thing is to help those who need it the most - the elderly people and the children.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hazelq

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:00 am

I've been following the news regarding the condition of Japan and it just makes me sad that so many people lost their houses & relatives and still need to deal with the aftershocks and nuclear reactors Sad, Lonely

I'm glad that ISU decided to postpone Worlds, I guess we just need to wait and see what will happen, I hope they don't cancel the event because just like Okami said all the skaters worked so hard to get to Worlds Crying or Very sad

I'm so glad to hear that the japanese fans of this forum are doing alright and I really hope and pray that Japan can have a fast recovery I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
josling
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 am

There are rumors of change the location to St. Peterburg right now....! I don't know whether I think it's good or not because actually I think Worlds 2011 should be in Japan and they should give Japan a chance because it is a so figure-skating-loving country but I also want them to take place anywhere... Embarassed

Depressed Crying Bawling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 pm

josling wrote:
There are rumors of change the location to St. Peterburg right now....! I don't know whether I think it's good or not because actually I think Worlds 2011 should be in Japan and they should give Japan a chance because it is a so figure-skating-loving country but I also want them to take place anywhere... Embarassed

Depressed Crying Bawling
oh Oh, I don't want Worlds to move from Japan but if it's going to be Spb, well, I will be super happy!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Star85
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:18 pm

I just woke up and checked my computer. First article I came to was this one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/9424038.stm
Probably nothing you haven't already heard by now in it, but it does say it's doubtful whether there will be a world championships this year at all. I am relieved that they have postponed it. It was the right thing to do when safety is so uncertain, and things are so chaotic there. I pray that the competition won't be canceled all together though! It sounds like the ISU has no plan B, and there is no info on what they're planning to do now (that I have found).

After discovering this news, I thought "isn't there a WTT this year? Maybe they could have worlds instead of WTT". Then I read PochinkoPotanko post. I didn't know WTT was also going to be in Japan this year - and they are considering canceling it too! It's official that WTT has also been postponed according to the US figure skating site.

It would be nice if they could still have worlds in Japan, but it just might not be a possibility. I just hope they can find somewhere - anywhere to do them.

BTW, could anyone kindly translate what Mao and the other skaters said regarding the postponing of worlds please?

Last edited by Star85 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://photobucket.com/maoasadapics
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:19 pm

josling wrote:

Depressed Crying Bawling

I feel its not that much of a bad idea!
Okay I have no idea how the ISU will make sure to arrange the event -
Tickets - Flights - Security - Judges -
It'll be a quite a chaos if the planning is not well handled!

I feel - It would have been better to wait - a month -
and assess the situation...
Maybe it would make skaters unsure to skate in a country where earthquakes could be common! silent
Then St.Petersburg might be a good location!
With all the buzz fresh and talented Russian skaters are creating -
It might just add to the skating stars...
(weird Russia nevr poppd in my mind as a potential location Wink)

And Yes - Japan loves FS!
Its a wonderful sport and they have been so diligently waiting for another worlds after 2007!
Hell - I have been waiting for Tokyo Worlds!
Its like the home country of skating LEGENDS! Sad
But I guess - We have to wait a bit more to see that happen!

EDIT: Just read the post of Star85! - NOOOOOOOOOO! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jtsmith1

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm

With family safe, Dungjen and Sato deal with their skaters' uncertainty
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/03/with.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maofan93
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:18 pm

I just hope Worlds are held - I don't care where or when. Mao's season is really coming together, and it would be nice for her to be able to skate a clean short and long at the same competition. Also, the is Czisny's breakout season, and after reading the article posted above, I realized that this may be one of, if not, her last chance. Other factors, including Takahashi's knee surgery and Miki wanting to take a season off after this one, make me think that the ISU should respect these Japanese athletes by having the competition. All of the Japanese skaters, with the exception of maybe Kanako, want to skate, and Miki even said she hoped her performances would cheer up Japan. The ISU should respect what the athletes want when making their final decision.

Jtsmith1

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 pm

ISU calls off figure skating worlds in Tokyo, seeks new dates and host city to step in
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/14/AR2011031404381.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:44 pm

I just found this article in skating ontd

Davis, White: 'Skating takes backseat to tragedy'
If their shot at history has to wait, so be it
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110314&content_id=16944850&vkey=ice_news

Their warmhearted and compassionate words relieved me and I believe will relieve many figure skating fans in Japan who are feeling sorry and guilty that Japan cannot host worlds as scheduled and causes a lot of troubles to skaters from other countries. I'm in tears.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polly10

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

whatever decision from isu, i hope somehow it's for the better. i know it's hard to even compete at this point. it's just hard to watch skaters competing against one another when thousands of people in japan are still getting affected by the tragedy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
roma
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:45 pm

I think moving Worlds to another location will be next to impossible in a short time. It's not just another competition. So much more has to be taken into consideration and it takes time to really prepare for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.casualdoodles.com
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 am

roma wrote:
I think moving Worlds to another location will be next to impossible in a short time. It's not just another competition. So much more has to be taken into consideration and it takes time to really prepare for it.

I think so too. It still took 6 months the last time it moved locations in 2000. That's why I actually think it may be best if the event was cancelled altogether because it is not good for put the athletes in limbo for so long since it'll be hard for them to peak, which is why they want the event to be held in the first place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 am

roma wrote:

Yeah. No audience, to say the least. Also prepare the arena, accomodations for everyone (and that's all the skaters and their teams). A lot to do. I'm starting to believe we'll have no Worlds this season. Sad Unless it happens in 2 months or so, when the season should be over.

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:40 am

But it may be a little too early to give up on Worlds yet, guys!
It's been reported that the Russian Fed has announced that if ISU should ask them to take the place of Japan, they will probabaly do so on a radio program in Russia! Below is an article reporting this and although it's in Japanese, I think the contents can be trusted.

http://www.jiji.com/jc/c?g=spo_30&k=2011031501246

polosatik, if you have any further info on the possibilities for Worlds being held in Russia, please post! I'd greatly appreciate it if you can do that for us.

We all know in Japan that the earthquake wasn't our fault, so Worlds being postponed and maybe even being cancelled aren't our faults either...but however serious the damages may be, it's only happening in Japan, so it's difficult for us not to feel sorry for everyone in other countries who've been looking forward to Worlds all along. Worlds being held in some other safe country, with the skaters being able to focus on their performances, and the audience being able to enjoy it being set free from their worries for us is what we are hoping for. I know how my people think in general, and they certainly wouldn't want to deprive the pleasures which were supposed to have been from other countries, just because we're having some troubles right now. So everybody, please don't give up on this season's Worlds not just now! The Russian Fed was nice enough to say they are willing to take our place, and other countries might follow. There's still hope! Yep!

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:52 am

thank you potato! You're giving me some hope Smile ! Also, I hope you're OK and I still continue praying for you guys in Japan!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 pm

From our side I hear rather different opinions. At first Piseev was against Worlds in Russia, but then he changed his mind and said "if ISU will ask us, we're ready to host it". So it sounds kind of inconsistently. I don't think iSu is going to ask someone, but well, who knows. But to my eyes, now, Europe is the most likely option for Worlds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:07 pm

polosatik wrote:
From our side I hear rather different opinions. At first Piseev was against Worlds in Russia, but then he changed his mind and said "if ISU will ask us, we're ready to host it". So it sounds kind of inconsistently. I don't think iSu is going to ask someone, but well, who knows. But to my eyes, now, Europe is the most likely option for Worlds.

Thanks for the info polosatik! I have no idea why Piseev changed is mind, but if he's clearly said that the Russian Fed is ready to host, I do hope ISU will consider Russia as an alternative candidate and ask them if it really is possible. Yep, Sadly

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
iceskatingfan
Double Axel
Double Axel

Location : Somewhere drinking hot chocolate on a cold winter day =]

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Sorry if someone's asked this question already...but if Worlds are postponed until next year, what happens to the skaters who qualified for Worlds this year? Do all the same skaters go?

If so...how will next year's nationals affect Worlds next year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dawnsherearequiet

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Last edited by dawnsherearequiet on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Okami
Triple Axel
Triple Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm

dawnsherearequiet wrote:

Everyone would have to gain their spots again, obviously.

Yup. silent That would be bad news for those skaters who might be at risk of not making the Worlds team again next year (Bradley, Miner, possibly Flatt if she plans to concentrate on her studies next season).

Worse yet, this would make the entrire next season a bit of a hot mess for ISU (the placement and scores at Worlds play a big role in how the GPs are assigned the following season). IIRC, there are some new pair teams that need a Worlds score to get 2 assignments next season. And how would the ISU decide which skaters are seeded if the Worlds were cancelled..? Whirly

It is probably too late to organize anything like that - but I think it would be nice if the World could be relocated to another country and orgazined as a partial charity event. If it was promoted as such, maybe it would attract those people who would not think of attending a figure skating commpetition otherwise, but are looking for a way to help the victims of the earthquakes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   

Back to top Go down

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 38Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 22 ... 38  Next