HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next
AuthorMessage
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:45 am

Quote :
But Japan can change place from Tokyo to Nagoya or else. Now there is
earthquake at Nakano too. So as Japanese standard, they have to check
and check for rink and arena's safety

Maybe they can change to the rink Daisuke skates in, i think in Osaka or so, this one they opened in 2006!

But i wouldnt mind they even change country, but it needs time to organizate an event like this, its hard to make those in less than 2 weeks i think Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:00 pm

clovera wrote:
linglang wrote:
ETA: Why I was upset about the Aichi figure skating championship is that sport competition is a celebration to me. It's a way of celebrating human beings great athletic ability. So, holding a celebration while knowing there is a great tragedy in your own country is insane to me.
This is very true, but at the same time a sporting competition can also bring people together and raise awareness for a greater cause. Worlds *can* (not saying it necessarily will) be tied in with relief efforts. It's certainly not impossible and it can be done in a prudent, respectful manner.

And well, sporting events shouldn't just be the ones being weeded out IMO. School, work...the majority of people who aren't directly involved in disasters of any kind simply go on with their lives. This is just an avoidable part of life as 9/11, the Indonesian tsunamis, Hurrican Katrina, and countless other tragedies have taken place; not everyone will donate or volunteer during times of need if at all. Is it really fair to say that holding Worlds is being intrinsically insensitive? We all pray and send condolences, but is that actually doing something for the victims and those affected by the quake and the secondary disasters it triggered? I just don't think having the right thoughts are enough to claim higher moral ground against the ISU and the JSF should Worlds go on as scheduled (which is still a big if to begin with).

In any case, I just hope that regardless of what happens, it's after things have been thoroughly considered and not hastily put together. Not the best food for thought, I know, and this is all coming across as convoluted and not well reasoned but I just wanted to throw this out there. Ack. silent

I understand the logic in what you're saying clovera, and the same thoughts have confused me whether or not I'm right about being against Worlds being held in Tokyo within 10 days or so. Even if something tragic happens somewhere, however big it is, the rest of the world should and must go on functioning as usual if they can. As you've pointed out that must've been the case with 9/11 and when some unfortunate part of the US is hit by a hurricane or a tornado.

But there's a little difference I think when disasters happen in the US and Japan. Simply, Japan is a much much more smaller country. What happens in Miyagi doesn't exactly feel so far away for those living in other areas of Japan, at least not as much as how those living in LA would feel about what happens in NY. And in this case, the other thing is that it was an earthquake. Japan has these plates underground in most parts, they are the ones which cause earthquakes, some are seperated but alot of them are linked. So when one major earthquake happens, it may influence other plates in the surrounding areas, hence we can never tell that we won't be having any other quakes in other areas soon afterwards. Early yesterday morning, there were some strong earthquakes centering around Nagano and Niigata, after a while some in Ibaraki and Chiba. These are basically different quakes from the large one which struck Miyagi and it's surrounding areas. We don't know for sure whether they happened as an influence from the one in Miyagi, but the plates under Miyagi are connected to the ones which come way down south to where Tokyo is. So when you think about the structure of Japan underground, Tokyo is far from being assumed as a safe place to be right now. In addition, scientists have mentioned on tv that in cases of earthquakes as large as this one, minor and middle class quakes will constantly go on in several areas for about 2 months. They've also said there's still be a possibility that another large one will strike somewhere during that period too. So I have to conclude that even though the undamaged areas must go on with daily life while the damaged areas are still suffering, Tokyo might not have been damaged much, it's not a completely safe city like those in the far west and southern parts of Japan at the moment, and it will still be a city which should remain red alerted during the time Worlds is supposedly going to be held.

Now, I have nothing against the Aichi competition. Aichi was always reported to have only a seismic intensity of 1 during all the quakes we've had since yesterday, so I can see no danger in having a competition there. Plus I don't really think such a small local competition is much of a celebration like linglang. However, I do understand the notion of a sport competition being a sort of celebrating event, and Worlds certainly seems like it fits the description to me. It's planned to be broadcasted on a nationwide channel, tickets all sold out within 5 minutes, top skaters coming to enter from all over the world...it's not just a competition, but a big show which everybody's been looking forward to see. Yes, it can be done in a respectful manner probabaly, and it may encourage those in the damaged areas too. But that's only if they are able to watch it. Right now, alot of people have lost their homes or have had to evacuate whether they like it or not. Many are staying in school gyms or some large meeting room in public buildings. There isn't enough heating, enough toilets, no gas nor water. So I find it hard to imagine they can get hold of a tv set by the time they have Worlds.

It's just not right to have Worlds in Tokyo clovera...I mean, not this month. Most of the people are still going to be too busy looking for missing family members and even those of us in the undamaged areas still won't be able to contact relatives and friends who live around Miyagi by then. I'm sure of this. As you say, maybe the competition might lighten up such people's hearts and give them some kind of hope...but then again, it may not. When you're worried sick about somebody or something, and you happen to turn the tv on and see some folks having the time of their life, you have to admit that they get on your nerves sometimes. So when the winners are smiling and waving their bouqets on the center of the podium, or even the slightest grin or chuckle at kiss&cry is bound to make a certain number of people very angry at the skaters. I don't want that happening, so that's why I can't agree on having Tokyo Worlds as scheduled. Yep, Sadly

I hope they'd simply postpone it till the end of next month or something...changing locations is an option too, but with the tickets all sold out, it's going to be tough to only relocate and have the competition on the planned dates. There's going to be alot of work to be done to make that possible, and with the transportation and phones still not completely functioning, it'll be real tough to do that I think. They should consider the location issue later and first postpone.

Mao's Guradian Angels (Facebook):To join plz contact me via PM
Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
JAPAN FIGURE SKATE FORUM: http://japanfigureskate.forumotions.net
Personal Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PochinkoPotanko
☆Genie
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Postponing the world championships would be the best option.
Give at least a month and some weeks, so that Japan can at least catch their breathe from this incident.... I'm sure many of the Japanese skaters are also very worried about their loved ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
clovera
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:57 pm

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Whole post
Thanks for taking the time to answer and bringing things into perspective Pochi. I also think postponement is the only prudent path that could be taken, and again I hope people do not take my previous post too seriously. It's starting to read like a series of (badly written and constructed) crazies...like a guilty projection. I've been refreshing the USGS site in addition to 2ch + the live blog covering the event every few minutes or so for the past two days and this is clearly getting to me. Going to take a walk now. pale

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/clovera
bibi
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:41 pm

clovera wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Whole post
Thanks for taking the time to answer and bringing things into perspective Pochi. I also think postponement is the only prudent path that could be taken, and again I hope people do not take my previous post too seriously. It's starting to read like a series of (badly written and constructed) crazies...like a guilty projection. I've been refreshing the USGS site in addition to 2ch + the live blog covering the event every few minutes or so for the past two days and this is clearly getting to me. Going to take a walk now. pale

I don't think they can postpone it to any random date. Skaters already have engagement after Worlds (a lot of skating club shows), the coaches, the judges, officials, volunteers, etc. They can not all be available a couple of weeks later. It's the reason why they choose the dates years in advance. The only date I can think of is maybe WTT. Many athletes have nothing planned on this date because they thought maybe they could participate in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mao.asada.site.voila.fr
Luckyone
Double Axel
Double Axel

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:48 pm

They need to cancel worlds Sad its a very rough time for Japan to do that, I don't think some japanese skaters could handle it and I at least couldnt watch them without thinking a earthquake could happen in the moment Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mao_Asada_sunrise
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:37 pm

News article about Japan and figure skating from the Los Angeles Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/03/tokyo-skating-disaster-too-soon-deaths-japan-earthquake.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:52 am

clovera wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:
Whole post

Don't worry clovera. You are a fine person with only good intensions I know, so I think no less of you because of what was written in your former post. What you've written there is all logically correct. I've seen others posting the same opinion elsewhere on the net. You all have a point, and however large the damages may be, however many the casualties may add up to, I agree we should not react too emotionally but stay calm and keep things functioning as usual as possible in the undamaged areas.

The only thing which some people are forgetting, is that Japan is most likely to be a much much smaller country than theirs. For instance, I went to the convenience shop in my neighborhood yesterday, and most of their shelves were empty. On the first day the earthquake struck, I also went there and found all the food sold out. I went there again today, and still the food shelves are empty and batteries, toilet paper and other daily stuff were also sold out too. The point is, it's been 3 days since the earthquake and the shop is running out of stock, with no delivery trucks coming in to supply them. I imagine this must be the influence of some of the road damage and heavy traffic due to them. I guess this is one of the side-effects we get in a small country when a large part of it is damaged by an earthquake.

The electricity company has been asking the entire country over and over to save energy, too. As you all know, one of our nuclear power stations has been stopped due to some trouble right after the first major quake, and it was followed by an explosion. The same may happen to other stations if we have more major quakes, and scientists have alerted us that there is still a high possibility that another big one may come any minute. The earthquake plates lying below most of Japan are still unstable. Things may seem calm on the surface, but underground it's a totally different story it seems. If any more stations are forced to stop functioning, the whole country will have to start suffering black-outs. They were even planning to cut the electricity for some hours in Tokyo today in order to save energy which will soon be needed more in the damaged areas. It seems they've cancelled doing that, but I think the country is still short on energy right now.

When I took my dog for a walk yesterday evening, I found out that a house nearby had it's brick walls collapsed. The wall was surrounding the house; each brick is about 60cm x 30cm x 30cm, must be pretty heavy! If anyone was standing close at the time, I'm sure they were injured. Plus while I'm typing this, we just had a local area announcement from the town speakers set in several areas nearby...it seems that one of the gas tubes underground was damaged and there has been a gas leak. It seems to have happened only 2 blocks away from my house...I'm sure the gas company people will come and fix it right away. I think the tube might have been damaged from the first major quake, and maybe a breach or something opened up little by little because we've been having seismic intensity 1~around 4 quakes over and over eversince 2 days ago. Anyway, good thing they found out before anything exploded...but we'll be sticking to meals which can be prepared without using gas for a while. Sweatdrop

So...I hope you all understand from all this that Tokyo isn't as safe nor stable as our stupid skating fed claims it is. The competition will be bashed for using tons of electricity if they go on with it, and maybe some gas tubes around Yoyogi Stadium might have breaches too!

ETA: Btw, I think bibi's idea to have Worlds on the planned dates for WTT is the most realistic and best idea on what to do with Worlds so far! Thumbs up!

Mao Asada Fan Forum YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MaoAsadaFanForum
Back to top Go down
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:05 am

pochinkopotanko,thanks for posting information, because news here talk of course about the nuclear plant but latelly doesn´t talk about how is people living in Tokio and most of all the north of Japan.

are the troops alredy in sendai and all the cities with more damages and posible people who need to be rescued? i hope people is somewhere safe and warm, is cold this days and everything must be wet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 am

Worlds should be postponed or even cancelled, I don't care about it anymore. Thousands of people were killed, is there a place for a competition now? No. We should think about the people and a tragedy, Japan has gone through a hell, why ISU is so ignorant? And also, I can't imagine how Japanese skaters are going to skate right now, if i was at their place I even wouldn't want to participate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 am

jkblues wrote:
are the troops alredy in sendai and all the cities with more damages and posible people who need to be rescued? i hope people is somewhere safe and warm, is cold this days and everything must be wet.

Thanks for your concern jkblues, I really appreciate it. And yes our boys are already in Miyagi and most of the damaged areas, and they've already rescued peope who were caught in landslides, some trapped in ruins, plus some of them are still helping out at the Fukushima nuclear power station. I feel so thankful for them and others who are risking there lives going into that power station to fix things right now. Unfortunately it's been reported that about 33 people were exposed to radiation, and I assume they are the people who were working at the station. I don't know the amount of radiation they were exposed to, I'm hoping it's not that serious an amount. It's also been reported that over a hundred people who were living close to the station were exposed to a minor amount of radiation too, but they say it's not as much to harm their health in any way. I hope this is true.

Rignt now another reactor in the power station is in danger of exploding too. The first one which exploded was reactor no.1, and the one in danger now is no.3. It seems the reason why a different nuclear power station in Miyagi is stable with no damage, while the Fukushima station which is about 100km away from Miyagi was damaged is because the Fukushima station was built long before the one in Miyagi. In simple words, it's fairly an old power station compared to other ones in the country.

Tokyo is calm but we still have some weak quakes now and then. One of the gas tubes underground got a breach or something, and a gas leak has been reported 2 blocks from my house. Firemen, gas company folks and the police are trying to fix it right now. I suppose the gas tube broke during the first major quake of 5+ in Tokyo, and the breach got bigger from the countless after quakes we've been having since then. Some block walls surrounding houses have broke down around my neighborhood and the nearest convenience shop is almost totally out of stock of everthing, since transportation is a mess in the entire country due to heavy traffic jams and some roads being destroyed, so they can't seem to send in new supplies yet. That's just about all that's been happening around where I live.

Plus our dog has freaked out completely! Well, she is a bit calmer compared to yesterday, but last night she literally went to bed with my husband...she layed sticking so close to him all night, so we went to sleep with her between us. She usually doesn't like sleeping on the bed, but prefers to sleep under it. And this proves that she relys more on my husband than me, though it's me who feeds and walks her everyday... Depressed Crying

ETA: polosatik, don't be so hard on ISU. I think it's rather our skating fed which lead them to think Tokyo Worlds is possible. But it seems ISU is reconsidering now, so I'm sure they'll come to their senses. Besides, I've heard the US has warned their people not to go to Japan for the next 4 months or so...I don't think Czisny and Flatt are up to flying to Tokyo either. Sad

Back to top Go down
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 am

I don't think it needs to be relocated, it's not fair. As clovera said, Tokyo hasn't experienced any damages. It's just a matter of waiting until everything is calm in the country. Maybe a month or so. All the Japanese skaters have worked hard to perform in front of their audience. Not to mention all the people who have bought their tickets, hotel resevations. And what other country could get prepared in such a short ammount of time?

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

Thanks for your concern jkblues, I really appreciate it. And yes our boys are already in Miyagi and most of the damaged areas, and they've already rescued peope who were caught in landslides, some trapped in ruins, plus some of them are still helping out at the Fukushima nuclear power station. I feel so thankful for them and others who are risking there lives going into that power station to fix things right now. Unfortunately it's been reported that about 33 people were exposed to radiation, and I assume they are the people who were working at the station. I don't know the amount of radiation they were exposed to, I'm hoping it's not that serious an amount. It's also been reported that over a hundred people who were living close to the station were exposed to a minor amount of radiation too, but they say it's not as much to harm their health in any way. I hope this is true.

Rignt now another reactor in the power station is in danger of exploding too. The first one which exploded was reactor no.1, and the one in danger now is no.3. It seems the reason why a different nuclear power station in Miyagi is stable with no damage, while the Fukushima station which is about 100km away from Miyagi was damaged is because the Fukushima station was built long before the one in Miyagi. In simple words, it's fairly an old power station compared to other ones in the country.

Tokyo is calm but we still have some weak quakes now and then. One of the gas tubes underground got a breach or something, and a gas leak has been reported 2 blocks from my house. Firemen, gas company folks and the police are trying to fix it right now. I suppose the gas tube broke during the first major quake of 5+ in Tokyo, and the breach got bigger from the countless after quakes we've been having since then. Some block walls surrounding houses have broke down around my neighborhood and the nearest convenience shop is almost totally out of stock of everthing, since transportation is a mess in the entire country due to heavy traffic jams and some roads being destroyed, so they can't seem to send in new supplies yet. That's just about all that's been happening around where I live.

Plus our dog has freaked out completely! Well, she is a bit calmer compared to yesterday, but last night she literally went to bed with my husband...she layed sticking so close to him all night, so we went to sleep with her between us. She usually doesn't like sleeping on the bed, but prefers to sleep under it. And this proves that she relys more on my husband than me, though it's me who feeds and walks her everyday...

ETA: polosatik, don't be so hard on ISU. I think it's rather our skating fed which lead them to think Tokyo Worlds is possible. But it seems ISU is reconsidering now, so I'm sure they'll come to their senses. Besides, I've heard the US has warned their people not to go to Japan for the next 4 months or so...I don't think Czisny and Flatt are up to flying to Tokyo either. Sad

thanks for the information, i feel more relieaved to know troops are alredy there.
And about your dog prefering your husband over than you, don´t worry, my dog used to do the same, i live in an island and sometimes we have storms and tunders, and the dog was always looking for my dad to protect her, i think they feel men more protective Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alyssa
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

4 months? WTF???

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
ETA: Btw, I think bibi's idea to have Worlds on the planned dates for WTT is the most realistic and best idea on what to do with Worlds so far! Thumbs up!

I thought about this too. WTT could even happen next year if there's no other way.

"Beauty pleases the eyes only; Sweetness of disposition charms the soul" ~ Voltaire
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/PrincessMaoFan
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks clovera and pochi. Thanks Mao_Asada_sunrise for the article link.
Don’t worry clover. I’ve read your reply to pochi. It’s quite understandable what you wrote in your former post because I know distance and time lag cause a gap in understanding the severity of situation.

I agree with pochi that people should stay calm and keep things functioning as usual as possible. Staying productive in the undamaged areas is very important for the reconstruction.

But I still think people of Aichi Federation should have shown (or taught) decency to their athletes and children as adult. It wouldn’t have been way too difficult for them to reschedule this local event. Maybe, I’m too sensitive, but cheering and clapping at a sport event while there are so many bodies left under cold muddy water is way too much for me. I think they could’ve waited until at least bodies are recovered. If they truly understand the current emergent status of country and appreciate the popularity of figure skating and people’s support to this sport, which are very large even outside of Aichi, they could’ve acted differently. There must be fans and supporters among the victims. Sorry clovera, I’m not arguing back to you. I just cannot stand their indifference. Depressed Crying

Stay safe, pochi. I know it will take a while until things go back to normal even in Tokyo. We in the intact areas will do whatever we can to help you and the sufferers. I know this is the worst earthquake we’ve had. But we’ve overcome the damages and sorrows caused by natural disasters by helping each other in the past and we will overcome this one too for sure.

And we really appreciate concerns and supports extended by people and the governments around the world. So many countries responded quickly and their rescue teams are now arriving in Japan one after another. I'm sure their support will facilitate rescue work. Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:25 am

alyssa wrote:
PochinkoPotanko wrote:

4 months? WTF???

Wait a sec...I've been thinking this one over...I think maybe they warned people not to go to Japan until April. April is written '4月' in Japanese, so maybe somebody who wrote about it misinterpreted '4月' as '4ヵ月' which means 4 months. '月' means moon btw and it's a symbol which stands for month.

I was thinking about the other Japanese members in this forum...we all know clovera is in the US, mingming hasn't been around but I know she lives in the southern part of Japan so she's okay too. hanatsuki has been away for a long time I guess, but she's active in our Japanese forum and she lives in Hokkaido so she's okay too. Hokkaido is in the far north areas of Japan, which is much closer to Miyagi so I was worried about hanatsuki for a while, but it turns out that Hokkaido is located above a different set of qarthquake plates from the ones linking Tokyo and Miyagi. So fortunately, Hokkaido didn't shake much even when the strongest earthquake happened at first. But they did have tsunami. Still, it was fairly small, so alot of things got wet with sea water but it seems nobody or nobody's house was swept away or anything. I was a bit worried about you linglang, since I don't know where you live, but you're posting here means you're all right! ddmm...I hope you're still somewhere overseas! Yep, Sadly

Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:14 am

I think I now prefer that they cancel Worlds, because I just think that this tragedy has cast a big shadow over the whole event. And I also think going ahead with the event is unfair to the Japanese skaters because of the emotional toll they feel now. I also think if Worlds continues in another location, the Japanese skaters will feel a sense of disappointment because I know a lot of them felt excitement & pride that it was going to be held in Tokyo again. I know this is one of the main reasons Miki decided to continue skating this season.
Some people say that it will be unfair to the other country's skaters if they cancel Worlds now, but the last time they cancelled the event it was also due to the tragedy that struck one country's team. I don't think it is too much if they were to cancel again.
On a side note, I also feel it is not appropriate for Yuna to skate to Airang given the circumstances. Before, I did not think it was a big deal but now I think it won't go well especially if the event is to be held in Japan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PochinkoPotanko
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 am

aoi88 wrote:

On a side note, I also feel it is not appropriate for Yuna to skate to Airang given the circumstances. Before, I did not think it was a big deal but now I think it won't go well especially if the event is to be held in Japan.

Do you think so? Why? I wouldn't mind personally...but well, I don't know much about the historical background which seems to have been arousing arguments either... scratch

While alot of FS fans around the world were discussing the issue in FSU and other forums, I've been wondering the whole time whether that many people in Japan ever even heard of the 'Arirang'. I didn't want to reveal how ignorant I am, but I actually heard of it for the first time since Yuna chose it for her FP. I'm quite sure that most of the young people in Japan aren't familiar with it too, unless they're especially in to Korean culture. Neutral

Back to top Go down
aoi88
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:53 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:
aoi88 wrote:

Do you think so? Why? I wouldn't mind personally...but well, I don't know much about the historical background which seems to have been arousing arguments either... scratch

While alot of FS fans around the world were discussing the issue in FSU and other forums, I've been wondering the whole time whether that many people in Japan ever even heard of the 'Arirang'. I didn't want to reveal how ignorant I am, but I actually heard of it for the first time since Yuna chose it for her FP. I'm quite sure that most of the young people in Japan aren't familiar with it too, unless they're especially in to Korean culture. Neutral

It holds the status as the "unofficial National anthem." I also think it has a lot to do with the old Korean film that bears its name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arirang_(1926_film) The film depicts Korea under the colonial rule of Japan. I also don't think the younger fans would be too affected by it but I feel some of the older people may know of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
polosatik
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:54 am

PochinkoPotanko wrote:

4 months? Oh my God. No This is too much I guess. Ok, let's wait what decision JSF and ISU will make.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MaoChan756
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 am

Well in YNK forums - 'Arirang' has been dubbed as an homage to Korea and Korean fans!
Being a rather 'sane and fair' fan of Mao! (modesty hah -_) -
We have to accept that - we also have a limited amount of 'crazy-mao-fans' -
Usually they support Mao because she is Japanese! - Not because Mao is Mao!
[I personally know a lil fan club likewise on YT]

And if they don't postpone worlds - Yuna comes and skates to homage to Korea as her FP!
(LET's assume for the sake of the argument - she is again awarded 150 - while a clean Miki falls at 133!)
It would seem slightly insensitive - considering the history both countries share -
Fans would start bashing Yuna!
It'll be bad timing!

[Just like a recent article link The Economist posted on its facebook page - about 'How are Koreans are treated politically in Japan!' - a burning issue - albeit - all the comments which followed after the article was posted - treated the poster as insensitive - bad timing - blah]

0O
Okay maybe am just exaggerating slightly -_
But - the rivalry between Yuna and Japanese skaters is usually what powers such major competitions!
and this move from Yuna - which is simply an unfortunate situation - might cause a hype! -

I'd just be happy to see Yuna skate again! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
linglang
Dedicated Mao Fan
Dedicated Mao Fan

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks pochi. I'm in the southern part of Japan and totally all right. I do hope other Japanese members are all right too.

I now think it may be better to relocate Worlds to somewhere outside of Japan. It's not clear how soon the nuclear power plant trouble and power supply shortage will be fixed. Also, it would be impossible for federations to send their athletes to a potentially nuclear hazardous place, regardless no matter what the Japanese government say, unless it's proven safe by IAEA.

I think cancelling Worlds is not fair to athletes other than Japanese, because it is Japan's tragedy and thus Japanese skaters have to bear it. I don't think any extra burden should be placed on athletes from other countries. As bibi said, if WTT dates are most suitable for reorganizing the event, I think it may be good to hold it on these dates but outside of Japan. I think Japanese and Japanese skaters will be back on form to some extent, if not 100%, by then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:13 am

all the news i´ve been searching about sports competitions in Japan, have been posponed or canceled, so i think is matter of time the world championships be posponed or even canceled. because i think maybe two monhts are not enough for the people to be in the mood, the nuclear danger to be controled and all the transport, energy souces to be guarantied.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jkblues
Triple Flip
Triple Flip

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:24 am

i´ve found this article
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/too-soon-figure-skating-world-championships-in-tokyo-catastrophe.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haidogirl
Triple Loop
Triple Loop

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:27 am

jkblues wrote:
all the news i´ve been searching about sports competitions in Japan, have been posponed or canceled, so i think is matter of time the world championships be posponed or even canceled. because i think maybe two monhts are not enough for the people to be in the mood, the nuclear danger to be controled and all the transport, energy souces to be guarantied.

Yeah even TV shows and music concerts in Tokyo and area seem posponed to at least April! Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread   

Back to top Go down

World Championships 2011 - Pre-competition thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 38Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21 ... 38  Next